Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    So, yeah. Been open carrying for about five months, had absolutely nothing but 100% positive experiences. People either make no deal about it whatsoever or are curious. But a negative incident was bound to happen sooner or later.

I was out running on public DNR land with my dog. Some guy - never seen him before in my life - comes on, and starts screaming at me about the dog. I guess you aren't supposed to have pets there? And I mean actually screaming at me, he didn't even start with niceties. My dog barked at him, of course - he doesn't much like it when other people are acting aggressively toward me. Most dogs don't.

I just ignore the guy and keep running, I don't really much care to get in an altercation. My first instinct has been and always will be to disengage and avoid conflict. I find it makes life much easier. Carrying a weapon doesn't change that, if anything, it makes me even more likely to try to avoid conflict. I want to avoid situations even more than usual, that risk putting me in a position where I may have to use it for self-defense. Anyway, moving on...

Since I was on my last lap anyway I just exited the trail (I was only about 200 feet away from the exit by that point) and walked around the paved parking area for my cooldown phase (bad idea to go to a complete stop after running). Normally I walk the trail one more time for my cooldown phase but I didn't want to encounter that guy again. I did check the sign on my way out - and sure enough, no pets. I usually see other people walking their dogs so that was a bit surprising to me.

I figure by the time this guy gets to the end and walks back I'll be done and gone and I'll just chalk it up to a crazy person being crazy. Well instead of doing that he just follows me out and starts screaming at me and telling me to keep the dog away (which he was, at this point...he was in the parking area). I'm a little wary at this point but he doesn't really seem to be a danger, just nuts. Not dangerous nuts, just a...****-stirrer, I guess is the proper term. Starts saying he's going to call the DNR on me - I'm thinking okay? Go right ahead, not doing anything wrong...

Keeps yelling, I tell him to mind his own business and leave me alone, tell him to just keep walking, etc. After that he starts making threats at me - "better be glad you have that dog with you" and "why don't you put that dog and your gun in the truck and then come finish this" among other "wannabe tough guy" threats.

He starts walking toward me, when I'm like...more than 50 feet away or something, starts screaming to keep my dog away from him and jumps up on a fence.

I just rolled my eyes, told him to go on his way, and kept walking. He goes and sits in his truck, I finish my laps and get in the truck and leave. He gets out of his truck and walks toward mine as I'm driving off...and I'm thinking, uh, uh-oh, is he going to start a problem here?

I go home and talk to my dad (reserve officer), called up the county sheriff's department to report the incident. The guy also followed me home and at this point I really was starting to get a bit nervous about what level of crazy he was. My dad walks up toward the road to talk to him and see what the hell was going on, he just speeds up and runs off.

Pretty quick two county deputies pull into my driveway. I get the dog in my truck and go shake hands, talk to them, let them know what happened, give them my license & permit. Apparently this guy had called in and told them I was walking around in tight circles and waving my gun in the air (it was on my hip in my holster where it always is, and *hopefully* always will be - if I draw it's because I have reason to believe I need to use it in self-defense - I don't *want* to ever have to use it though...which is part of the reason I open carry).

They were polite and courteous, as was I, no real complaints. Well, one, I guess, but it's not something I really want to make a deal out of, needless to say it's something that has been covered dozens of times on this forum even just since I joined.

DNR officer showed up, basically just said - can't have the dog there, I said, okay, I understand that, no problem (I see other dogs there all the time, it's a popular dog-walking spot, so I assumed it was allowed). Everyone shook hands and left.

I don't know what kind of crazy this guy is so needless to say I will be having a lot of extra hyper-vigilant SA these next few weeks.

And I have no plans to quit open carrying, either. One idiot in five months versus the hundreds of positive and/or indifferent reactions is not enough to change my mind. And oddly enough it was more about the dog than the gun, anyway. See the Argument for Open Carry thread here on INGO =/. I think that makes a pretty good case or at least it does to me.

Last edited:

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Great self control. I salute you!!!

Well, don't say that too quick, what few things I said to him, I did yell back, and I was upset at this point because he kept following me and kept yelling, so I'm sure that emotional state came out when I was yelling back.

Then again it would have been impossible for him to hear me over the sound of his own screaming if I didn't yell.

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Did you not notice him following you home? If I knew someone was following me I would not go home!

Nope. He must have pulled out when I was almost to the end of the lane leading back to the DNR property. Probably saw which direction I turned from a distance, and there's not too many turn-offs or anything, so if he just kept following the road he would have seen where pulled in at home.

I was watching for him to follow me, too, so he was deliberately trying not to be seen.

I should press assault charges for the verbal threats and threatening behavior...but it is not worth the trouble. I would much rather this just settle into the dust. The guy admitted to police that he had threatened me, so it's not a "he says/he says" issue.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Good that you kept it at yelling.
    You didn't make a threat with your gun.

But....
    After an altercation, with the adrenaline shooting down, there is a tendancy to drop your situational awareness.
    Bad Idea.

Make a exta effort.
    If followed, go to police.

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Good that you kept it at yelling.
    You didn't make a threat with your gun.

But....
    After an altercation, with the adrenaline shooting down, there is a tendancy to drop your situational awareness.
    Bad Idea.

Make a exta effort.
    If followed, go to police.

I did let the dispatcher I called know that he followed me home.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I did let the dispatcher I called know that he followed me home.

If he's stupid enough to yell at a man with a gun and big dog, I'd rather he didn't know where I live.

But you did a good job.
    Drink a beer.
    Relax.
    Watch TV.

Tomorrow, critique yourself. Improve through experience.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I would not have continued the laps and left once the guy started getting all nuts but that's just me. Out of curiousity, why were you waving your gun all over the place? ;)

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    I would not have continued the laps and left once the guy started getting all nuts but that's just me. Out of curiousity, why were you waving your gun all over the place? ;)

I don't even know how he got that lol. My hand didn't even go NEAR my hip, I didn't want ANY misinterpretation of any actions.

I didn't stay on the trail, just walked around the parking area to cool off (from the running, needed to let my heartrate drop), then left. Probably would have skipped that if he wouldn't have went away to his truck.

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Great Story! You reacted the best way you could! No one was hurt and that's the best part!

Yep. That's the goal. Nobody needs to get hurt no matter how out of line anybody gets. There's no reason for anything to ever escalate past just words.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    Good self discipline! People like that irritate me to no end. Ignorant, self absorbed, moronic human beings that need to stop breathing our valuable air and drinking our precious water.

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Good self discipline! People like that irritate me to no end. Ignorant, self absorbed, moronic human beings that need to stop breathing our valuable air and drinking our precious water.

/shrug

I don't wish him any ill will. He was out of line, and being an idiot, but he had reason to be upset about the dog in the first place. He just didn't handle it well, at all. And in retrospect I wish I would have just kept my mouth shut 100% and not said a single thing. I think me yelling back just escalating things further...although I was certainly not making any kind of threats. Yelling at someone to mind their own business is somewhat provocative; silence would have served me better. But, hindsight is 20/20.

And stalking me afterward, well, no, that's...yeah. Crazy, like I've said.

Hopefully he got a quick education from the officers that talked to him (the ones I talked to said there were a couple other guys heading out to talk to him about it and get his side of things). I can't see things going over very well for him though after making threats toward me AND admitting that he made threats toward me.

At least he was honest. I make my best effort to be so. Learned long ago from my mother that things just work out much easier that way.

And maybe he wasn't a crazy idiot, but just having a really terrible day that was compounded by meeting a dog on the DNR trail (which I'm not sure why he hasn't encountered that before - I see other dogs ALL THE TIME). Regardless.../shrug. I can't know 100% what was going through his head.

I'm just glad it's over, and nothing had to escalate any higher than it did. Hopefully he learns to use better judgement next time and not abuse the police to handle his own personal problems.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Did you not notice him following you home? If I knew someone was following me I would not go home!
    Yeah, me too. If I notice someone behind me an inordanent amount of time when I'm getting close to home I'll turn a couple streets early. If they follow I'll keep making left or right turns to make a complete circle. If they are still behind me after that I know they are following me. So far that hasn't happened. If it does I'll pull into somebody else's drive and get out and prepare for a confrontation.

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Yeah, me too. If I notice someone behind me an inordanent amount of time when I'm getting close to home I'll turn a couple streets early. If they follow I'll keep making left or right turns to make a complete circle. If they are still behind me after that I know they are following me. So far that hasn't happened. If it does I'll pull into somebody else's drive and get out and prepare for a confrontation.

That's just it, though, I didn't see him. I was looking for him, though, to make sure he wasn't going to try and follow me. He must have stayed far enough behind that he was hoping I wouldn't elude him.

Dad was out mowing lawn and I went to talk to him about it so I think he saw me when he drove by.

Regardless I don't know if I'll go back to the DNR trail anymore. DNR officer said not to have my dog back there, and running is much more enjoyable with him around. I may for a few days until I find a better spot where I can bring my dog.

I don't think he's crazy enough to do anything stupid, though. He is probably just used to getting his way and bullying other people around. I suspect this isn't the first time he's involved police where they don't need to get involved.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Tell us the truth.
    You've done that before when No One is following.

Top Bottom