Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    That's just it, though, I didn't see him. I was looking for him, though, to make sure he wasn't going to try and follow me. He must have stayed far enough behind that he was hoping I wouldn't elude him.

Dad was out mowing lawn and I went to talk to him about it so I think he saw me when he drove by.

Regardless I don't know if I'll go back to the DNR trail anymore. DNR officer said not to have my dog back there, and running is much more enjoyable with him around. I may for a few days until I find a better spot where I can bring my dog.

I don't think he's crazy enough to do anything stupid, though. He is probably just used to getting his way and bullying other people around. I suspect this isn't the first time he's involved police where they don't need to get involved.
    Don't be so sure. A normal person who gets a little hot about something doesn't usually follow somebody to the extent that this guy did you. I'd be concerned. Also, do you keep your dog in the house or is it outside where this guy could hurt it?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Yeah, me too. If I notice someone behind me an inordanent amount of time when I'm getting close to home I'll turn a couple streets early. If they follow I'll keep making left or right turns to make a complete circle. If they are still behind me after that I know they are following me. So far that hasn't happened. If it does I'll pull into somebody else's drive and get out and prepare for a confrontation.

I would call 911 and give them my where abouts and plan a straight away they can pull over crazy man. Being willing to defend your life, and not avoiding a situation are entirely different IMO.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Alot of foolish people out there sounds like you met one,I am a tattooed long haired harley riding biker maybe thats why I have never been confronted and open carry every where I go.Keep carrying its your right.

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Don't be so sure. A normal person who gets a little hot about something doesn't usually follow somebody to the extent that this guy did you. I'd be concerned. Also, do you keep your dog in the house or is it outside where this guy could hurt it?

He is an indoor dog for sure. :)

Not to worry my SA will be higher than it even usually is for awhile.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Glad you are safe, unfortunately th outcome is him knowing where you live. But, considering the circumstances behind the encounter, I doubt you'll see him again.

Bruizer13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Good way to elude the situation, but I too would be conscerned about him returning. Be alert for awhile and definately don't let it discourage open carry. I think that this had little to do with the gun.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Two things:

Which DNR property was this that doesn't allow dogs?

And, Pepper Spray, you know just in case.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Glad you are safe, unfortunately th outcome is him knowing where you live. But, considering the circumstances behind the encounter, I doubt you'll see him again.
    Solution: [STRIKE]Steal[/STRIKE] borrow a "for sale" sign from somebody's yard, put it in yours, give it a week then hang a "sold" sign on it. Then buy all new vehicles and the potential perp will think you've moved. (Sometime my ideas are so good I'm amazed.) It might be a little expensive but worth it. :D

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Solution: [STRIKE]Steal[/STRIKE] borrow a "for sale" sign from somebody's yard, put it in yours, give it a week then hang a "sold" sign on it. Then buy all new vehicles and the potential perp will think you've moved. (Sometime my ideas are so good I'm amazed.) It might be a little expensive but worth it. :D
    You're a real troubleshooter there mrortega :laugh:

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Good way to elude the situation, but I too would be conscerned about him returning. Be alert for awhile and definately don't let it discourage open carry. I think that this had little to do with the gun.

That was my assessment as well. The gun only came into the picture as an incidental issue; he was more just furious about the dog - literally everyone else in the past 4-5 months has been either neutral or happy to see him. He does need a little socialization though and has barked at people once or twice before; however, this is very atypical and I always stop to apologize and explain when this happens (I have encountered extremely aggressive dogs there, dogs that take 4 or 5 people to pin against the fencing just so they don't come after me or my dog - I would NOT bring my dog there if he acted like that).

I plan to continue openly carrying as allowed by Indiana law. As I said earlier the "Open Carry Argument" thread sums up my feelings on the matter precisely.

I don't know. Maybe the guy just had a really awful day, had planned to go there to destress and then seeing the dog just made all the stress from the entire day come out at once. I don't deal with my stress that way no matter what happens, but not everyone has the same level of control over their stress and anger. Maybe it was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

As someone else said, though, typically that is not normal behavior, no matter how angry you are, toward someone with a large dog and/or a gun on them. And this is a complete assumption, mind you, but he seemed the type of person to "play policeman" by involving police in petty personal disputes. I don't think this is the first time he has abused the local PD.

Had he just stopped to ask me if I would mind taking my dog off the boardwalk, let me know there was a rule in place...rather than, you know, launching right into screaming at me...I would have done so. Probably would have brought the dog back (can't now as DNR officer has said not to do so), since I see dogs there all the time, and just removed him any time someone asked me to.

Always treat other people with respect, INGO. It goes a long, long way toward getting what you want.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Which DNR property doesn't allow dogs? Short of no rifle no dog hunting safe areas, I hadn't seen any mention of no pets on any DNR land.

If being followed I'd be on the phone with 911 and let him follow me to a PD or SO station, and afterward advise I was willing to sign a complaint
    IC 35-45-10-1
    "Stalk" defined
    Sec. 1. As used in this chapter, "stalk" means a knowing or an intentional course of conduct involving repeated or continuing harassment of another person that would cause a reasonable person to feel terrorized, frightened, intimidated, or threatened and that actually causes the victim to feel terrorized, frightened, intimidated, or threatened. The term does not include statutorily or constitutionally protected activity.
    As added by P.L.242-1993, SEC.4.
    IC 35-45-10-2
    "Harassment" defined
    Sec. 2. As used in this chapter, "harassment" means conduct directed toward a victim that includes but is not limited to repeated or continuing impermissible contact that would cause a reasonable person to suffer emotional distress and that actually causes the victim to suffer emotional distress. Harassment does not include statutorily or constitutionally protected activity, such as lawful picketing pursuant to labor disputes or lawful employer-related activities pursuant to labor disputes.
    IC 35-45-10-5
    Criminal stalking
    Sec. 5. (a) A person who stalks another person commits stalking, a Class D felony.
    (b) The offense is a Class C felony if at least one (1) of the following applies:
    (1) A person:
    (A) stalks a victim; and
    (B) makes an explicit or an implicit threat with the intent to place the victim in reasonable fear of:
    (i) sexual battery (as defined in IC 35-42-4-8);
    (ii) serious bodily injury; or
    (iii) death.

IMO telling you to put your dog and gun in your truck and come fight him, is an implicit threat bodily injury, and while not meeting the following
    IC 35-41-1-25
    "Serious bodily injury"
    Sec. 25. "Serious bodily injury" means bodily injury that creates a substantial risk of death or that causes:
    (1) serious permanent disfigurement;
    (2) unconsciousness;
    (3) extreme pain; (4) permanent or protracted loss or impairment of the function of a bodily member or organ; or
    (5) loss of a fetus.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.26. Amended by P.L.261-1997, SEC.1.

Would be sufficient grounds for a talk with law enforcement when combined with making a false report to law enforcement, unless you had your gun waiving in the air.

If he runs and you run, if you both regularly use DNR properties, if you live in the same geographic area, if something triggers him to return to your house; there is an increased likelihood of another incident and if for nothing else than legal defense purposes I'd want a paper trail in place should he decide to attack you in the future.

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    I think it is just a local rule there, it isn't something that is DNR-wide. It's a confined trail so I think they just want to avoid any dog bites (not that my dog is a bite risk, he's had overwhelmingly positive experiences with people there which is why it really sucks that I can't bring him there anymore).

If I see him again and the behavior is repeated I will try to file harassment and/or stalking charges.

~

Gun was definitely never waving around in the air. In fact I kept my hands up and on my dog's leash and away from my hip because I did not want there to be any sort of misinterpretation at all.

Top Bottom