• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Ok so I'm disgusted with my weight I'm 5"11 and 300lbs :( 2 years ago I dropped 50lbs and I felt amazing I was at 250 to start and now I've gained more back, I work 2 jobs from 6am to 11pm so I need some much needed help how can I loose this weight? I'm not active much at either job so any help I really want to drop this weight, I've looked on gnc and found "total lean" and read some good reviews has anybody here used it? Or what other products could I try to help I only have the weekends fee to workout if I can, thanks

You didn't mention your age Burt, but I have some experience in this matter having been a former fat person through my early years and briefly loosing control/ambition after a divorce. Age matters because the older you get the more difficult instituting change can be. Your body just will not respond as well as a younger persons nor recover from intense exercise as well. That said, I am talking older then you likely are. I know competitive bodybuilders in their late 30's to early 60's, so where there is a will, there is a way.

My advice is to not rely on a crutch like some magic pill from GNC. Not saying it won't help but do not believe for an instance it will do anything without a metric butt-ton of work from you. Walking/jogging/running helps some in the leaning department. But look at most people that only run primarily for exercise and you will find many that are still soft and pudgy because constant running burns an enormous amount of calories placing your body into a survival/starvation mode. This in some people can create a situation where the next available calories will partially divert into reserves (aka fat). Calories in and out is a very delicate balancing act.

Good news, there is a great way to burn fat/calories, force your body into using excess calories to build muscle and not fat, and systematically raise your base metabolic rate over time. Strength training. Lift weights. End of routine.

Seriously, Weight training breaks down muscle tissue because the level of strength you previously possessed wasn't sufficient for what work you were performing. This will force your body to divert protein and excess calories into rebuilding these muscle cells to be better and stronger in hopes you will not destroy the tissue next time... but you will just lift more/heavier next time. This is an evolutionary response from the days when we were nothing more glamorous then animals trying to survive. The rebuilding process creates a situation where you carry more lean mass, which will raise your base metabolic rate. That means the amount of calories you need to stay where you are on a day to day basis is higher then it once was. This type of training creates a snowball rolling down a hill effect. The more you train the better you feel, look and easier it is to lose fat. I say lose fat because you might have a period of time where the weight plummets and then levels off because the fat loss isn't faster then the muscle gain. You do not have to look like a pro bodybuilder to accomplish the goals outlined here. You will see better results weight training then walking/running/ dieting/etc. Eat sensible healthy meals, avoid simple sugars as much as possible, but don't be a slave to your diet. Lift weights and enjoy your life. You can do this...

at the lowest point of my life my marriage was in shambles, I was nearly 300lbs, and had taken up smoking. I cut the smoking, started exercising, eating sensibly and was 185lbs 13 months later. Don't let anyone tell you this can't be done. You are in charge of you... the only person capable of facilitating or preventing the change is looking back at you in the mirror.

This can become a lifestyle change where when you can't get to the gym you are truly disappointed. Not relieved you get a break. I lift three times a week. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. 60 to 90 minutes. Today I wear a 30x34 pant size, I am 5'10" and weigh averages a lean 205 to 215 year round. You can take this lifestyle to an extreme too. I've also been 240lbs @ 34" waist at age 37. You will also find the hormones released from exercise to be calming and relieves depression. It truly has a positive impact on every aspect of your life.

Last edited:

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to chipbennett again.

Good advice Chip

1. Cut out refined carbohydrates, both sugars and starches (I could live the rest of my life never eating sugar, but fried potatoes and biscuits and gravy? Come, Lord Jesus.)
    2. Drink a lot of water
    3. Get sufficient sleep
    4. For your workouts, focus on strength-building resistance training. "Cardio" and burning calories for the sake of calories simply makes you hungrier.

I feel your pain. I was at a healthy weight. Then sympathetic baby weight, plus almost a decade of working 50-60 hours a week (now with weekly travel), plus no time for the tennis I used to play and other things - now I've got a bunch to lose again.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    You lose weight at the table. Period. When we eat bad things or too much of certain things, we know it's wrong.

Cut out the sugar and carbs. Don't eat too much fruit, it's sugar. Eat good and eat more often. Exercise when you can and challenge yourself to do more.

Diet is the most important factor in body composition, but without exercise you won't be happy with the results.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I have about the same build as you and have started a serious lifestyle change just recently. No more drinking and really watching what I have been putting into my body. I have dropped 80 lbs before and accomplished it with diet only. That has come back over the last couple years. Just cut back and pay attention to what you buy. Lots of veggies was my key. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

It came back because it is difficult to maintain a serious diet for long durations. Look at my post a couple up from this one. That is what it takes to institute real change. Elevate your base metabolic rate and you can have your cake too.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Genetics also play a part. That aside, as many stated, diet is a huge part. Portion/serving size can be a large part of that. A serving of red meat may be 3 oz. How many steaks in a restaurant are 3 oz. ? Six ? 8, 12, ? Order the 6, cut it in half, eat half, take half home. Same goes for most everything you put in your mouth. Part of our over eating is potion size...controlling this goes a long way with out actually giving up any food. Learn to actually consider everything you consume. Just keeping track & calculating the calories, fat, carbs, etc. for an average week can be an eye opener ( need to include everything that goes into your mouth ). I paid $20 or 30 for an electronic food scale. Avoid fast/prepared/processed food like the plague. Prepare you own. Measure amounts and quantities. Calculate what you are consuming.

Exercise can can be as simple as standing & walking in place, doing jumping jacks, etc. while watching the news on TV. Anything that increases activity is a plus. Getting serious...analyzing yourself, life style, health, etc.; setting goals such as target weight & BMI, losing inches, etc. ; developing a plan to accomplish goals; STICKING TO THE PLAN....is the hard part. Both strength training & cardio need be a part along with the diet, increased activity, etc. You can calculate calories burned using activity, Duration of activity, heart rate obtained, etc.

Changes are required - some are simple such as simply buying low fat cheese, yogurt, salad dressing, etc, rather than the regular. Some are not so easy - I love ice cream and need to totally avoid it, cannot allow it to be in the house...hard for me. What are your "triggers" ? If you plop down in your recliner each evening to watch TV does the habit include a snack ? Is it a healthy snack ? What could you substitute ? If you feel a little hungry do you grab a cookie cause they are out on the counter and easily accessible ? Put the cookies away and set out some apples. You get the idea.

Biggest step is the first one. Tomorrow just do one thing. Make it a habit. Then add one more thing. Rinse & repeat.

good advice. finding your triggers is also important if you lack the self control to simply say no. I did. I found I could eat an apple and it killed that craving for sugar. The fiber content with the natural sugar is far better then reaching for a snickers. :)

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Interesting thread to say the least, I'm following. I'm Type II Diabetic as well. I will say I did the Atkins thing about 10 years ago, followed it religiously for three weeks, to the point of not even chewing gum. I dropped about 35 pounds in three weeks. I felt like crap though, can't explain it, just didn't feel good.

That's called keto flu. It kicked my wife's ass for about 2 weeks also. I usually get at least my 23 or so carbs, and usually 25 or more. I think that's why I didn't get it. She was eating extremely low carbs.

That eventually goes away. Ketosis kicks in and the energy usually derived from carbs is manufactured within your body from fat and proteins. You have to stay the course and it does get better.

Last edited:

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I don't keep super close track of my weight but I'm down about 20 pounds in the last couple of months.

Basically have just been regulating my sugar better. I'm type 2 and I was kind of just going with the flow and not caring too much about carb intake.

Karl Denninger has a great three-part blog post about why everything the "experts" say about diet is so darn wrong.

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=230822

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=230827

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=230832

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I am in week 7 of a 12 week program involving diet and exercise ( cardio, strength training, etc.). I admit the exercise part is where I have my biggest problem following thru. My minimum goal over the 12 weeks was to become better educated, at least start down a better path, and to safely lose 7%. I have REALLY done a bad job with the exercise part except that I have increased my activity level in general and move more/sit less. I have used myfitnessplan.com to track EVERY thing that goes in my mouth and have changed my normal diet to something closer to recommendations from the dietician. At my weigh in on Tuesday, I was 1.1 lbs. under the 7% loss goal ( almost all of the lbs. loser were lbs. of fat ) & have decreased my fat mass by 3%+. Pants I haven't worn for years fit me. I am in the last notch of my semi-new belt and it is still not quite right enough. Looking in a mirror, my stomach is noticeably smaller. My love handles are reduced and am now noticing lose skin around mid-section. This with mostly just a change in diet, quantities eaten, and increasing activity by a small amount. I am a farm boy and have always eaten as such. Given up or greatly reduced many foods I adore but the outcome is well worth it. Believe me, if I can do anyone can.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Just be careful. I ended up in the ER this morning after passing out when I stood up to go to work. Dr. blamed it on rapid weight loss, stress and dehydration. Don't remember hitting my head but also ended up with a nice gash on the back of my head that took 5 staples.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Just be careful. I ended up in the ER this morning after passing out when I stood up to go to work. Dr. blamed it on rapid weight loss, stress and dehydration. Don't remember hitting my head but also ended up with a nice gash on the back of my head that took 5 staples.

Proof that work will kill you.

gtpilot21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Noblesville, IN
    Diets don't work its got to be a lifestyle change. Nothing is harder than changing our brain. You really got to work hard at it and take baby steps and set goals. It's best to find someone to help you with accountability as well. Start tracking how many steps you take. If you have a Samsung or Iphone they already track that. If you want to spend a little bit get a FitBit or like product. It's a lot easier to gain weight than loose weight. If you have time at work to take a 5-10 min. break walk during those times. I'm not going to tell you what you should or shouldn't do however at the end of the day it all comes down to calories. How many calories did you take in today and how many calories went out today. At the end of the week the goal is to have more calories going out then coming in. 1lb is 3500 calories. The avg. person eats 2500-3500 calories a day and the average person burns 2500-3500 calories a day without adding exercise. If you don't have time to exercise count your calorie intake and make sure to count everything including what you drink. Diet Soda drinks make you hungry don't recommend them. My Fitness Pal is a great app to track calories. Loosing weight is a hard thing because you have re-train your brain and break hobbits that you are in. Set simple daily goals and stick to them. I also recommend high protein low carb low fat keeps you fuller longer. This is coming from a guy that made that change and lost 165lbs. I started walking on my breaks at work. I would and continue to today walk laps around the parking lot for 20 min. 3 x times a day.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    The avg. person eats 2500-3500 calories a day and the average person burns 2500-3500 calories a day without adding exercise.

I wish I knew how many calories I consumed per day before I started losing weight. OUCH!

When I joined Lose-It, it dropped me down to only 1600 calories per day and I found that, as they predicted, my average weight loss was 2 lbs per week with no added exercise. A year later, I can easily maintain my weight by staying around 2000 per day but I also found out that when I go over I add weight VERY quickly. A couple of days off the wagon results in a week or more to take it back off. The hardest part of this adventure is losing the last 10 lbs to get to my current goal. Down 1lb. up 3lbs., down 2 lbs. up 1lb.

Top Bottom