• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Fat boy here as well. Been fighting diverticulitis flare ups for awhile now, need to get serious. Once I get over my current flare up, & can get back to solid food, I'm walking away from frieds, sweets, pizza, etc., all my favorites. It's just reality of what's more important: Food (short time pleasure), or healthy body (long term pleasure). Just praying I can change!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I started taking a hard look at my fat a$$ earlier this year too. It was tough getting started because of the overwhelming amount of information and nutrition advice out there. Much of it conflicting.

I went to the local library looking for something to help me build a diet and exercise plan and I found this book.

9780804137843_p0_v5_s549x700.jpg

It really helped me understand (in very simple terms) how to develop an eating plan, exercise regimen, and new mindset about achieving results based on what I want to achieve.

I will say I have not been fully committed to my plan, but at least now I have one in place so I can recommit myself to it.

There is no one sized fits all approach, so I would recommend finding something you think might work for you. Try it for 6 months and ignore all of the other "advice" you get during that time. If the results aren't there after 6 months, try something else.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    1. Cut out refined carbohydrates, both sugars and starches (I could live the rest of my life never eating sugar, but fried potatoes and biscuits and gravy? Come, Lord Jesus.)
    2. Drink a lot of water
    3. Get sufficient sleep
    4. For your workouts, focus on strength-building resistance training. "Cardio" and burning calories for the sake of calories simply makes you hungrier.

I feel your pain. I was at a healthy weight. Then sympathetic baby weight, plus almost a decade of working 50-60 hours a week (now with weekly travel), plus no time for the tennis I used to play and other things - now I've got a bunch to lose again.

The 4 points are good advice. Sleep and water often overlooked but VERY important.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I have never been extreemly over weight. But age, declining metabolism, declining work/physical activity, etc, has been increasingly adding weight & inches. Have lost weight a couple times in near past only to put it back on. Saw the same thing happen to my father and the end result...do not want to repeat it myself.

6 weeks ago started a 12 week program offered through local hospital/health group called "Healthy Steps". Meet weekly with dietician for 45 minutes and physical trainer for 45 minutes. Have developed a doable home exercise program including cardio & strength training ( admit I still lack discipline needed to follow religiously ). Biggest help to date has been education in diet. Have established daily guidelines for calories, fat, carbs, protein, sodium, etc. Am using "myfitnesspal.com" to faithfully log intake. I find it very helpful. It is very eye opening. Has been a challenge but one that I have accepted.

As CM stated it sucks giving up ( or severely limiting ) certain things but is a necessary evil to accomplish the goal. It is rewarding to see the pounds & especially the pounds of fat mass go down. Hopefully long term, a healthier body and longer life will make it worth while.

The my fitness pal app is a great tool to track food intake. You can track overall calories and more importantly of your calories are coming from protein/fat/carbs. Try a diet that you can eat as close to 1g protein for every pound you weigh. (Probably not going to happen if you are 300 lbs...but the bigger percentage of your calories that come from protein the better). Find an overall calorie intake that works for you (the app is also helpful for this). Carbs are the devil. Try limiting carbs to a max of 150 a day....the less the better your results will be. Also if you have to have carbs go for healthier carbs like fruits/potatoes/same kinds of rice/quinoa.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The my fitness pal app is a great tool to track food intake. You can track overall calories and more importantly of your calories are coming from protein/fat/carbs. Try a diet that you can eat as close to 1g protein for every pound you weigh. (Probably not going to happen if you are 300 lbs...but the bigger percentage of your calories that come from protein the better). Find an overall calorie intake that works for you (the app is also helpful for this). Carbs are the devil. Try limiting carbs to a max of 150 a day....the less the better your results will be. Also if you have to have carbs go for healthier carbs like fruits/potatoes/same kinds of rice/quinoa.

I would recommend that approach, but using lean body mass, not overall weight. The specific number will need to change up or down, depending on your degree of sedentary vs. active lifestyle. If you want a more scientific approach to the calculation, refer to Protein Power, by Drs. Eades.

ron8924

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    SouthWest IN
    start here IIFYM Calculator to figure out what your basal metabolic rate and total dailey energy ependiture is. Once you know what these are you can start to figure out what your caloric intake needs to be (15-20% below TDEE looks to be about 2400 calories) and go from there. Next download my fitness pal app on your phone and start to track everything. If it has a calorie in it then log it. It only takes about 5 min per meal to log and you will really see just how many extra calories you consume. Also try to hit your macros that this site tells you to (protien, carbs, and fat). Start doing some research on foods that high and low in these nutrients.

Cut out soda, candy, beer, liquor, sugar, simple carbs, and fast food. Drink only water! Doing this alone at your weight and I gurantee you will start to drop some pounds, feel less bloated, and feel better overall.

Do you have 20 minutes free a day, either morning before work, after work, lunch break? Take that 20 minutes and go for a walk everyday, try to work up to a jog or speed walk if your joints and body will let you. The goal is to get your heart rate up. its not going to be comfortable, its not ment to be, if you want to quit push yourself a little bit more. Your mind will quit before your body. Start slow and work your way up to more intensity and set goals

The low carb atkins diets work, but you need carbs for quick energy if you dont get enough you will feel like ****. Fad diets work on short term, lifestyle change is what you are looking for.

Make sure you are hitting your calorie goals or close to it, you could eat alot less, but you will not be getting the nutrients your body needs to sustain itself safely, and you will fell like death walking. I'm sure you know, but if you are eating more calories than you expend you will gain weight. Weight loss starts in the kitchen. Dont expect results quick. Get rich schemes are a scam so is a diet or pill that says it can make you lose weight quick.

I'm no expert or nutritionist, but i have done alot of research and am fairly fit myself, best advice i can give you is watch your calories and start slow; all you will do is burn yourself out

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The low carb atkins diets work, but you need carbs for quick energy if you dont get enough you will feel like ****.

Simply untrue. Once you have expended your stores of glycogen, the body will preferentially metabolize fat, and studies have shown that it will do so with no discernible impact on performance. It is true that it takes 7-10 days for the body to shift from an insulin-dominant metabolism to a glucagon-dominant metabolism, but once it has done so, you'll have more energy on a fat-based diet than you ever did on a carbohydrate-based diet.

Fad diets work on short term, lifestyle change is what you are looking for.

Low-carbohydrate is not a fad. Look up "Banting", named for William Banting. Until Ancel Keys with his unscientific Seven Countries study, conventional knowledge based on human physiology was that losing weight required reducing carbohydrate intake. "Low fat" and "low calorie" are the true fads, and have never worked.

Make sure you are hitting your calorie goals or close to it, you could eat alot less, but you will not be getting the nutrients your body needs to sustain itself safely, and you will fell like death walking. I'm sure you know, but if you are eating more calories than you expend you will gain weight. Weight loss starts in the kitchen.

This is also untrue. One of the biggest advantages of low-carbohydrate, and in particular, ketogenic diets is that the body's metabolism becomes less efficient. On a carbohydrate-based diet, the body's metabolism is extremely efficient. It converts well over 90% of consumed calories into energy, or storage (fat). On a ketogenic diet, that efficiency drops significantly. The body does not convert consumed calories nearly as efficiently, both due to non-conversion (waste), and expending through other means (body heat, for example). Also, high-fat, low-carbohydrate diets build/strengthen lean body mass (muscle, bone, etc.) - which serves to increase the basal metabolism. Low-fat, high-carbohydrate diets tend to cause a loss of mean body mass, which is unhealthy.

Dont expect results quick. Get rich schemes are a scam so is a diet or pill that says it can make you lose weight quick.

I very much agree here. A healthy diet will enable the body to shed weight at a healthful rate. That may be fast, or it may be slow. The rate of weight loss is not what is important; rather, it is important to shed the right kind of weight (body fat, not lean body mass), in a healthful manner.

ron8924

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    SouthWest IN
    Chip, you can find all sorts of research and scientific study out there to support any arguement with regards to diets. I could go and find studies to support what i have said earlier, but i am not here to talk about all the biology of it or to argue devils advocate. Are you basing your comments off of what you have read off the internet/research/scientific studies or from your experience in fitness and nutrition? The bottom line with weight loss is to eat less calories than you are expending. If you expend 2500 calories a day, but are eating 5,000 you WILL gain weight it is as simple at that. Goes the same if you eat 2000 calories and expend 3000 your weight will start to come off. the method i said works and it has worked for thousands of people that want to lose weight. You gave your adivice and i gave mine. Dont pick apart the biology of it because you dont agree with it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Chip, you can find all sorts of research and scientific study out there to support any arguement with regards to diets. I could go and find studies to support what i have said earlier, but i am not here to talk about all the biology of it or to argue devils advocate. Are you basing your comments off of what you have read off the internet/research/scientific studies or from your experience in fitness and nutrition? The bottom line with weight loss is to eat less calories than you are expending. If you expend 2500 calories a day, but are eating 5,000 you WILL gain weight it is as simple at that. Goes the same if you eat 2000 calories and expend 3000 your weight will start to come off. the method i said works and it has worked for thousands of people that want to lose weight. You gave your adivice and i gave mine. Dont pick apart the biology of it because you dont agree with it.

The physiology is critical. People have been trying "low-fat" and "calories-in-calories-out" for about four decades now. And as fat and calorie consumption declined, obesity rose, sharply. As have cardiovascular disease and diabetes. If there are thousands for whom it has worked, there are millions for whom it hasn't - or who have relapsed, because it is unsustainable.

As for the basis for my statements: I have done extensive research, for two decades now, out of necessity. I was not blessed with genes that lend themselves well to keeping weight off. I tried the so-called conventional wisdom through junior high, high school, and college. The best I could ever do was maintain - which is unhelpful when you're already overweight. It wasn't until I understood the physiology that I was able to take control, and lose weight. So, I speak both from study/research and from personal experience.

If what you're doing works for you, I think that's fantastic. More power to you, and I wish you continued success. But I enjoy discussing the topic - especially for the vast majority of us for whom the so-called "conventional" wisdom does not work and has never worked. If you don't enjoy that level of discussion, don't take offense; none is intended.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    There isn't a secret to this. There isn't a product to get you there (besides ingesting a tape worm...). This is coming from a former professional track and field athlete, so take it or leave it, but it'll get you where you want to be if you do it.

Make time to work out. Put working out a priority over work. If you don't work out, your health will slip. If you aren't healthy and able to work, you aren't much good to your employer. You also cost them more in the long run due to health issues. And if you end up dieing of a heart attack, you won't be much good to them either. Honestly, it doesn't matter what you do exercise wise at this point. Just sweat your ass off. Run, lift, bike, throw punches at a bag.....doesn't matter. You can set athletic goals later. For now, just do whatever sounds like fun (if you keep it fun, you'll keep doing it). Burn those calories and sweat!

You need to find an hour per day and work out. You CAN do that. Saying "I can't work out due to my schedule" is a load of ****. If you REALLY do work 6am to 11pm with no break, you need to talk to your employer and explain why you will be taking a 1 hour lunch break to go on a damn run and to the weight room.

And change your diet. No more simple sugar. Start eating simple foods (nothing in a package with 100 different ingredients). Cut back the carbs. Eat smaller meals 8 times per day instead of a few big meals. If you can, stagger your macro nutrients so you take in most of your daily carbs in the AM and little/no carbs towards bed time when they'll get stored as fat.

Stop drinking anything but water.

Limit yourself to 1800-2000 calories per day. And be honest and track it meticulously.

ron8924

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    SouthWest IN
    I am not talking about low fat diet, I never said that. I am talking about nutrition and ensuring your body is getting enough protien, fat, and carbs. The reason calories in and calories out don't work for most people is because they are not properly accounting for all their calories they need which is different for everyone. It matters what is put into your body. All the studying and research don't matter a bit unless it can be put into practice. Have studied shooting guns for over 29 years, are you going to listen to what I have to say if I can't hit the broad side of a barn? My whole point is that nutrition is key to weight gain or loss and it is hard, it is very hard cause good food usually isn't good for you and we all like stuff that tastes good which is why most people fail.. sorry if it jumps around I'm on mobile.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup.....A calorie is not a calorie. Simple carbs are going to almost go strait to fat storage, especially for someone who's not being physically active at the time of consumption. It's going to pack on the fat in a way that ingesting a calorie of fat, protein, or even complex carbs won't.

I really believe simple carbs (sugars) are the main cause of the obesity problem.

The physiology is critical. People have been trying "low-fat" and "calories-in-calories-out" for about four decades now. And as fat and calorie consumption declined, obesity rose, sharply. As have cardiovascular disease and diabetes. If there are thousands for whom it has worked, there are millions for whom it hasn't - or who have relapsed, because it is unsustainable.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I put what I preach regarding health, working out, and nutrition to practice. I don't recommend anything that I don't do myself. You're right about needing to eat food that tastes good, and your ability to "keep at it." But calories in/calories out is old theory. A calorie is not a calorie.

And good for you food can be awesome. Most people just don't give a **** enough to take the time to prepare it. It's a lot easier to go get a pizza than to cook something that is both delicious and good for you.

And you're right about nutrition being the key. It's 90% of it. And it's why athletes say the real gains/losses are made in the kitchen.

All the studying and research don't matter a bit unless it can be put into practice. Have studied shooting guns for over 29 years, are you going to listen to what I have to say if I can't hit the broad side of a barn? My whole point is that nutrition is key to weight gain or loss and it is hard, it is very hard cause good food usually isn't good for you and we all like stuff that tastes good which is why most people fail.. sorry if it jumps around I'm on mobile.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Ok so I'm disgusted with my weight I'm 5"11 and 300lbs :( 2 years ago I dropped 50lbs and I felt amazing I was at 250 to start and now I've gained more back, I work 2 jobs from 6am to 11pm so I need some much needed help how can I loose this weight? I'm not active much at either job so any help I really want to drop this weight, I've looked on gnc and found "total lean" and read some good reviews has anybody here used it? Or what other products could I try to help I only have the weekends fee to workout if I can, thanks

I've not read all the input provided so far, but might I suggest going to the doctor for a complete physical? I'm not sure how old you are, but a trip to the doctor is always a good thing, especially if you are over 40. Working two jobs is a task, especially if you are inactive.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Get the website/app "Lose-It" and use it daily, religiously. In the last year I dropped 70lbs. with absolutely no exercise by simply counting my daily calorie intake. You tell it how many lbs you want to lose per week and it will calculate your daily calorie budget based on weight, height, age, sex ,etc.. I am living proof that it works but agree that you will have to change your lifestyle to achieve good results with any program. Sacrifices have to be made though to keep the weight off. To this day, a year later I still can't enjoy the foods I used to love and I live with a 4 days on, 2 days off "eating" lifestyle anymore to maintain my comfort weight.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    my day consists of waking up at 6 to be at work my 7 I get a 30min break and I work till 2-2:30 then 20min drive back home and relax get a cat nap in if I can eat lunch, then im off to work at 4 until 10-10:30 then 20min drive to lock up the building at my other job which I work on sundays 2-7:30 then I get a few hrs sleep in, and yes I have Saturdays free if im lucky spend time with my gf or family, have to try work something out for Saturdays maybe buy a elliptical, I lost weight b4 but had a more physical job just need to get back into it ugh this sucks if I could id just cut it off, I don't really eat much morning ill have a energy drink wake me up, break time at work 9-10am have a breakfast sandwich and after 2:30 have a ham sandwich and night time idk just depends have pork n beans or ramen noodles, I do eat differently with my gf like to cook for her or fast food taco bell, DQ, china buffet, but I do like to eat healthy chicken, fish, salads, maybe just too lazy to make them,

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My biggest battle with eating healthy is meal prep. However if you make yourself do it, you can eat healthy! People always talk about how expensive healthy eating is and junk but in all honesty I spend less money eating healthy when all of my meals are planned out then I do "just going for it." Just form some discipline and you'll win the battle!

Top Bottom