• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    My grandpa always put WD40 on his guns and swore by it. Is this a good idea? I would think it would prevent any rusting or anything like that, after all it is a form of oil and lubricant. I think Remoil sucks, I put it on stuff and it will rust in days. But maybe a remoil WD40 combo would work well. Thoughts? Input? Thanks in advance:ar15:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    One of the best rust preventer products is EEZOX. I use it and CLP. I don't think that WD40 is good for rust prevention but it is great if you shoot old surplus corrosive ammo and clean with water. WD40 is a water displacing spray.

The long term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture. This is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to give a low viscosity fluid which can be sprayed and thus get into crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving the oil behind.

I am sure the oil left behind provides protection, but some products provide better.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I use EEZOX and CLP or Hopps for about everything, I dont WD40 unless I have to scrub rust off of a gate or outdoor hinge. It crap and just gums up small parts with dust. If you are going to use WD40 you might as well just soak them in used motor oil.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I only use WD40 to displace the water on my Mosins after flushing them to neutralize the salts from corrosive ammo. Then I clean and oil as per normal.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    This should get the anti-WD40 people all stirred up! While I currently use Break-free CLP as well as WD40, when I first got into firearms all I used was WD40 and never had a problem with build up that others swear by.

As for it protecting, I had a Remington 1100 and 7400 in storeage when I moved into my new house. They had only been protected by WD40. After 11 years in storeage, my daughter asked me to see the first firearm she ever fired, that 1100 when she was only 3 years old. I opened the box, fully expecting to see rust. I was very happy to find that old shotty in the exact same, perfect condition that it was in when I sprayed it down and put it in it's box.

The beauty of people having an opinion is that everyone has one, and take them all, including mine, with a full salt shaker. What works for one might not work for someone else. I love reading about people 100% sure that XXX firearm is a piece of jamming junk, when I have one, or know someone that has one that is 100% reliable.

Go figure.

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    CLP and Eezox are both crap. Sorry to disagree with the general consensus around here, but I've cleaned guns with both of those products, and then had Hoppes still pull fouling out of the barrel.

You want a cleaner to clean, and a lubricator/protector to lube and protect. A product that claims to do both means that it will not do either one well.

I swear by Hoppes #9 solvent, and periodic usage of Hoppes Copper Solvent. As far as lubrication and protection, you can do no better than Militec-1 grease. It truly is fantastic stuff.

My grandfather also used WD-40 to lube and protect. I really wish he hadn't. I have a Model 75 Stevens pump .22 that was made in 1943. He taught my father how to hunt squirrel with it, and a quarter-century later he taught me with it as well. With regular usage and cleaning, WD-40 probably isn't too bad, but when Grandpa died, the gun sat in the cabinet for about three decades. During this time, the WD-40 gunked up the insides badly enough that I had to detail-strip and clean the rifle; a couple hours of Hoppes and Militec-1 got her squared away. I am pleased to say that she now works as well as she did when I was a pre-teen.

Even if you are a die-hard CLP/Eezox fan, at least take the time to read up on Militec-1. I use it on all of my guns, and never miss an opportunity to recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! using WD40 on guns, it will actually void your factory warranty on Glocks, WD 40 draws moisture to it, that is not what you want on firearms. Plus it will harm the tenifer finish on the gun.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I used to get rust on my steel pistols that I have shot so much that the blue is worn off in places on the rear and front strap. I tried just about everything. I finally found CorrosionX. I can shoot these guns now and don't have to worry about rust, even if I don't wipe them down after a range session. It removes light rust, but doesn't hurt the blueing. It is a good lube, but I use FP-10 for lubrication. For long term storage, I use RIG gun grease. I don't use WD-40 on my guns. I do use it as a solvent around the house and car sometimes.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    wd 40 draws water to it? no it displaces water...moves it away from wherever it is..it is very good at that. I have no idea how it works on firearms.

2ridgebacks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Floyds Knobs
    I consider wd-40 about as much as a lubricator as snot. It's okay, until it dries. We use wd-40 to clean our tools after a job. It does a wonderful job of removing all petroleum products from your tools and leaves the rubberized gips and plastic flashlights nice and shiny. There is nothing that means certain death to rotating part more than a shot of wd. Wd will wash any and all lube out. It will displace water, but really doesn't affect future moisture on the part. I don't and won't use the stuff on anything of value that I won't or don't see often so that I can keep an eye on it.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    WD-40 on guns is a good lubricant that prevents rust but it leaves a lot of residue that can cause problems in the long runs. So, I am going with more modern lubricants, still have to decide a specific one.

There was an article or letter in Gun's and Ammo on this during the last year, and the author responded essentially with the above statement. If you can find it, please correct me, this is what I recall.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    WD40 deactivates primers. So, don't spray it on your primers. Or in your reloading room. I think the silicone goes everywhere.

I have used it for years after bluing small and large gun parts. I have used it for preserving BP firearms after soap and water cleanings. I have used it for long term storage. Any build up is protecting the gun and is easily cleaned off later. Kind of like cosmoline has to be cleaned off if used, just different.

I like WD40 as well as lots of other "gun" lubes.

And if you have a zit, use windex......

redhawk44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    SW Michigan
    I have used WD40 since it became available and I have never had a problem with it.

It is a good rust preventer for the outside of a firearm and it provides plenty of lubrication for trigger mechanisms and such.

I apply it to the outside by spraying a clouth with it, then wipeing the gun down. On the inside, I just spray it directly into the trigger group, then blow out the excess with keyboard duster that I keep on the bench.

I cannot speak to the experiences of others, but it works great for me....:dunno:

Top Bottom