• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    WD40 breaks down pretty easy and the lubrication won't last long. CLP is good stuff, but I use a product called RUSTEPRUFE. It's made by a guy in Sparta, WI. My grandpa used it, my dad did, I do and now my nephews do. Our guns are BEAUTIFUL! Even the ones I teach with.

Rusteprufe is a powder solvent, lubricant and rust inhibitor all in one. You can clean your guns in one step.

Even if you use another product for cleaning, Rusteprufe is great for finishing! Wipe off your guns with the included chamois to prevent fingerprint damage and rust during storage. Also works great before going out in the rain!

Check it out: index.html

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Whats wrong with Rem-Oil?

I was using CLP for the past few years until my walmart stopped selling it and midwest does not carry it either. i ended up getting the Birchwood Casey brand. I don't think the finish on my Jericho liked it too much though when I tried it on a small section on the inside of the pistol. The finish got really light colored and dry.

I went back to walmart and grabbed some RemOil and it seems to be fine. I then apply a light coat of Hoppes9 on the pistol and a heavier coat on the AR. I usually clean my jericho barrel with just Hoppes9 on a Qtip and then Butches BoreShine for the AR barrel every 4th trip to the range or so.

I'm thinking about checking out that Milispec1 stuff though.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    WD40 on guns??

Not on mine........ but that's my choice..... you choose whatever suits you.

Just like choosing a gun, shoes, a car, computer, or anything else....... personal preference. Not a tough concept to grasp.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Do NOT use WD-40 on firearms, at least if you don't plan to clean it afterward, or if you plan to store it.

Some of my more difficult missions have come from owners who cannot get their guns to operate after storing them in WD-40. Locks them up tighter than a bank vault. The stuff evaporates and leaves a varnish type film behind.

Clean as normal and use a slightly oily rag on the finish.

Another point - traditional bluing is controlled rust. WD-40 removes rust.

Josh <><

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Bad idea because it's a penetrator, and will attract lent, dirt, etc. Best bet is to use a dry lube like rem oil. It dries almost instantly, and will provide good protection for moving parts etc.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    WD-40 is not a lubricant, nor is it a penetrator, it is for dispacing water. If you need to break something loose grab either PB or AeroKroil. If you want to lube something than use a lubricant, like oil or grease.

WD works well as a lub when using steel wool or scotch brite, but I wouldn't trust it in the action of a gun.

If you are looking for a cheap all around oil that will pull carbon, slick the action, and keep the metal in shape then either go the easy way with remoil, hopps, clp, or snag some decent ATF.

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    [I had a gun reblued last year and the Gunsmith said to use pure silicone spray like you get from the hardware or autoparts store. They said it was the hardest thing for them to remove before blueing a gun.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I use break-free for what I used to use WD40 for. WD40 is mainly good for getting rid of moisture (what it was designed for) but is very aggressive and can actually create issues with finishes.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Use WD-40 for fixing a squeaky door hinge or some around the house items... or for displacing water (water displacement #40). Use a cleaner, lubricant and preservative—or Hoppes for firearms. WD-40 does not offer the lubrication or protecting qualities of a good CLP or oil; however, I have heard of people using Mobil 1 lol.

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    Am I the only guy on here that uses G-96 Gun Treatment? Awwww, cant be.

86705-treatment.jpg

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    There are a lot of good CLP's out there. I have used rem oil type CLP for over 10 years now and it does it's job!

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Armed & Christian: do you do the heat treatment with Militec, or just use it as a regular lube? I've been using both the oil and the grease but I've never done the heat treating thing with it.

RIG users: I love RIG, but I thought it was off the market. Can you still get it anywhere?

Fritz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I guess I'm a traditionalist; I use Hoppe's No 9, also the copper solvent, Hoppe's gun oil and Hoppe's gun grease for storage. No problems to date.

Top Bottom