• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    Ok so im 18 and my dad wont sign for me to get a handgun (although he was fine with the AK47 i brought home from the most recent 1500.. i dunno). So my question is... are there any ways i can legally procure a handgun?

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    You can legally purchase a handgun F-T-F at 18 years of age, you can NOT however purchase one from a FFL until the age of 21.

I would suggest you get a LTCH now and once you have that work on the old man a bit at a time, once he sees you went through the trouble of getting your LTCH he may change his mind.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you're still living with your parents/dad, I'll offer this little bit of advice:

Follow his rules until you're out on your own.

-J-

Glock17 Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    N. Manchester
    buy one from an individual that's what I did.
    oh and you should get a LTCH frist it helps. Because even though it's legally buy a handgun FTF at 18 that dosn't meen someone will sell it to you. I tried to buy alot guns FTF befor I found someone to sell to me.
    GOOD LUCK

Sthunter987

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Southern Johnson County
    We all remember those favorite words from our fathers "My roof, my Rules". You need to listen to father on this one. If you get one with out his ok, all hell will break lose.

I could be wrong but I think you have to be 21 to get your LCTH.

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    No. You can get your LTCH at 18. You can carry at 18. Good luck buying ammo until your 21, though.

That's what I thought though, too. I lost three good years of carry time...

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Been there done that... not fun. Just a few years back I was in your same situation. Wait until you're out on your own and then do as you please. But as long as pops is paying the bills and putting a roof over your head respect his wishes. You can however continue to show him that you are responsible in all areas of your life, including with firearms. You may even encourage him to join us here. Be respectful, but let him know why you want to own a handgun (my parents thought it was because I wanted to be rambo or something, ha joined the army to fix that fantasy ;)) Just don't push the issue with him too much or it'll create tension you don't want. Again I am speaking from experience. If you are worried about SD etc. Get a good blade and some training, there are a lot more places in the U.S. (and world) where carrying a blade is legal and a firearm is not. If this link applies to you send it his way (respectfully! see the pattern?!)

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/51604-what_those_who_do_not_carry_should_know_about_those_of_us_who_do_carry.html#post561269

Regardless of what happens welcome to INGO and keep your enthusiasm for firearms!

We all remember those favorite words from our fathers "My roof, my Rules". You need to listen to father on this one. If you get one with out his ok, all hell will break lose.

amen.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    Even if you go behind your dad's back to get one, how will you get ammo? You have to be 21+ to buy that too. And it doesn't sound like your dad will get it for you.

Being 19, I'm in the exact same boat. I've been agonizing over what handgun I want and whether it will even be legal by the time I'm 21, but I've accepted that I just have to wait. :crying:

Paxton383

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    Liberty
    im 19 and i have had my glock since i turned 18, its very hard to buy ammo, have to find someone 21 to get it for you, i have only been able to buy it once and i had to lie about my age and not having my ID on me at the time and they were very hesitant about selling it to me, try to talk your dad into letting you have it would be the best thing to do, my parents werent too happy when i brought mine home but have warmed up to the idea of me having it at my house and in my truck, just be responsible with it if you get him to let you get one.

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    ok so just clearing a few things up... 1. i dont intend on going behind his back to get a handgun.. if he says no, then ill just wait 2. he said he was ok with me getting my ltch so im thinking he may be starting to warm up to the idea, but i think his issue is having a handgun i would be carrying registered in his name. Secondly, he has changed his stance on my gun ownership quite drastically this year... he has gone from a strict "shotguns only" policy at the beginning of the year to allowing me to bring home a .243, .22, mosin nagant, and AK47 since turning 18 so i dont know i think ill just have to work on him...

might be inheriting grandpa's .38 S&W soon from my mom so i guess that may make things a little less complicated

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Even if you go behind your dad's back to get one, how will you get ammo? You have to be 21+ to buy that too. And it doesn't sound like your dad will get it for you.

No, you don't. You only have to be 21 to buy ammo from an FFL.

im 19 and i have had my glock since i turned 18, its very hard to buy ammo, have to find someone 21 to get it for you, i have only been able to buy it once and i had to lie about my age and not having my ID on me at the time and they were very hesitant about selling it to me, try to talk your dad into letting you have it would be the best thing to do, my parents werent too happy when i brought mine home but have warmed up to the idea of me having it at my house and in my truck, just be responsible with it if you get him to let you get one.

see above about the ammo. If you were lying to an FFL, that's a big no-no man.

Top Bottom