• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I was in your same situation. I got a LTCH almost as soon as I turned 18. My dad wouldn't buy me a handgun so I bought a H&K USP 9mm from an INGO member. Ammunition can be purchased from any store except Walmart pretty much. Say you have a hi point carbine or other rifle chambered in your handgun round and most places will sell to you. It's especially easy if you get a 357mag or another big round that is more common in rifles.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    If I was you, I'd delete this post.... admitting an illegal act on the internet ain't the smartest thing :n00b:

It isn't illegal to buy the ammo and give/sell it to someone under 21. Now, I'm pretty sure that LYING (as others said in this thread) to an FFL may be against the law.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    ok so just clearing a few things up... 1. i dont intend on going behind his back to get a handgun.. if he says no, then ill just wait 2.

dieselman, my hat is off to both you and your dad.

It sounds like he has raised you well, you have respect for him
    and his wishes.

That is a huge step in showing maturity.

I don't know you or him but respect you both!

Sthunter987

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Southern Johnson County
    dieselman, my hat is off to both you and your dad.

It sounds like he has raised you well, you have respect for him
    and his wishes.

That is a huge step in showing maturity.

I don't know you or him but respect you both!

I couldn't agree more.

Try to get your dad involved with your research on your handgun. This will achieve the following:

1. Shows your being responible about handguns.
    2. It will help him understand your view.
    3. It will allow you to understand his view.

It looks like he is giving you some room on this one. Give some room back to him and you will achieve more in the long run.

Good luck, it sounds like things are moving nicely for you on this one. One last thing..... It was great to hear how you will not go behind his back and you respect his views. Only a real man can do that. Be proud of yourself, I am.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have some points I'd like to cover.

Kudos to you for respecting your dad's wishes. Believe me when I say that carrying a gun is the second biggest responsibility you can have in your life, second only to becoming a parent. The potential for really screwing up while carrying is huge. Even if you are fully justified in a self defense shooting, you can face civil and criminal charges that can be costly to defend yourself from. These things are not to be taken lightly.

A good idea would be to get some concealed carry training in anticipation for getting your first handgun. Trainings that cover the legalities, responsibilities, and pitfalls. That may go a long ways towards softening your dad's position.

Waiting s*cks when you're young, but it does get easier as you get older.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    ha joined the army to fix that fantasy ;).

Aren't you in the National Guard?

Want a pistol before turning 21 join the military,

How is that helpful advice, or even correct advice?

You get a pistol 1 of 3 ways generally speaking, be a 240B machine gunner, be an officer, or be an MP.

The only one he would most likely be at 18 is an MP. 240 is possible, but unlikely.

That about sums it up.

To the OP, the first step is to ask WHY he doesn't want you to have a handgun. Get your LTCH regardless. If he doens't want you to carry, ask about keeping at the house and going to the range to familiarize yourself, so when you do turn 21 you're more competant. If he doesn't want to "sign for it" as you originally stated (not that this is possible per se) thought he could buy one and gift it you and then it would be under his name. But if that is his main concern, he would not be against you buying from private party. Though almost no one will withour your LTCH. :twocents:

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    even as an mp you dont get a take home pistol though. and if youre not garrison, the only time youll see it is on a range or a training exercise. or on a deployment of course.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    All clarifications have been clarified. Thanks for clarifying.:D

Do FFl's require you to be 21 to purchase reloading components? If not reloading would be a good way to go.

Top Bottom