Not open for further replies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hopefully we will have a new Executive VP/CEO who will earn your trust. If you sign up at the 1500 or the Deer/Turkey/Waterfowl Expo I'm the one with the distinguished grey beard ;)

Hopefully, the new guy is flawless. Some folks you just cannot make happy though.

These are the same folks who have nothing better to do than to stir up discourse among the membership. Discourse that spreads by compounding every little thing from too expensive suits to mailboxes full of solicitations to semantic wording of a comment turning into a policy.

All of this so the neighsayers may be proven "right."

In the meantime, a once feared grass roots membership organization crumbles from the inside out, leaving the cause for the organization behind. Unprecedented gun control laws are passing in influential states, similar to marijuana legislation. We have distantly watched what happened with pot. There is no doubt that the eventuality will be federal legalization. The long game has mostly won on pot, it's just a matter of time.

Without a strong NRA, is the 2A the next camel's nose under the tent? Climate change, defund the police, illegal immigration, black lives matter, insurrection, how many of these things that we joked about once are now federal policy, if not law?

Will the abolition of the Second Amendment be the next "common sense," narrative to chip away at and normalize a dab at a time? Hell, it already is...

Our kids and grandkids will grow up learning of the amendment that abolished the Second Amendment, if a lot of us don't wake up...

:(

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I just may make the 1500 to do that and shake your hand for all the work you do here and on the Constitutional Carry issue last year.

And yes, all you old hippies claim it is a distinguished grey beard...:oldwise:
    (1) Thank you and definitely stop by.

(2) OLD?? I'm middle aged here at INGO!! Gen X (OK I was born 2 weeks into Gen X) are considered whipper-snappers around here.

(3) HIPPIE?? The handle is KellyinAvon, NOT KellyinBroadRipple.

(4) :oldwise: I'm getting there

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We have distantly watched what happened with pot. There is no doubt that the eventuality will be federal legalization. The long game has mostly won on pot, it's just a matter of time.
    I don't think this is the example you want to use. Federal legalization increases freedom. It just happens to be a freedom that you don't agree with. The spread of gun control laws infringes on freedom no matter how you look at it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Seems like many folks want the NRA to be run like a local gun club. It was harnessing the power of the members and their money at the highest levels. If buying blow and hookers is used to kill anti 2A legislation I am all for it. Don’t really care about the how, just the results. And while I wished for more freedoms, they did pretty good holding off gun control in the new century…

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Yeah -- lobbied lawmakers -- and Negotiated Rights Away. In 1968, 1986, 1994 and 2017 -- just to name some of the more notorious. Bump Stock Rule emboldened BATFE to repeatedly rewrite law unconstitutionally now without a Congressional Act changing the law. Over the decades, the NRA has earned the scorn and derision being heaped upon them. BATFE cannot be "lobbied" for anything. If the entire top leadership isn't completely swept away, WLP will be repeated, and they will continue to negotiate our rights away.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Without a strong NRA, is the 2A the next camel's nose under the tent? Climate change, defund the police, illegal immigration, black lives matter, insurrection, how many of these things that we joked about once are now federal policy, if not law?
    The NRA is "weakened", yet gun rights are being restored all over the country. What rights have been restored at the national level thanks to the hard work of Wayne and his NRA?
    In the meantime, a once feared grass roots membership organization crumbles from the inside out, leaving the cause for the organization behind. Unprecedented gun control laws are passing in influential states, similar to marijuana legislation. We have distantly watched what happened with pot. There is no doubt that the eventuality will be federal legalization. The long game has mostly won on pot, it's just a matter of time.
    Your irrational fear of marijuana is really something. Gun legislation actually is mirroring marijuana in that they are removing many more restrictions. A majority of states now have constitutional carry. That mostly happened after Wayne got into his trouble.

Then you have the Supreme Court rulings that have done more than the NRA could ever hope to accomplish at the national level.

What has the NRA accomplished at the National level? What pro gun legislation has been passed?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The NRA is "weakened", yet gun rights are being restored all over the country. What rights have been restored at the national level thanks to the hard work of Wayne and his NRA?
    What new control passed congress during the 2000’s? At the national level they held off the renewal of the weapons ban and passed PLCAA…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    What new control passed congress during the 2000’s? At the national level they held off the renewal of the weapons ban and passed PLCAA…
    Congress? Take a look at The Executive Orders that just obama, Trump and biden have written with importation of firearms and ammunition during their Administrations.
    Hell, almost 20 years ago AFT had the import parts kit barrels removed from parts kits.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Take a look at The Executive Orders that just obama, Trump and biden have written with importation of firearms and ammunition during their Administrations.
    Hell, almost 20 years ago AFT had the import parts kit barrels removed from parts kits.
    Maybe help the NRA get enough members elected and pass laws detailing importation of firearms, ammunition, and parts…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well my friend, if you believe others can't have an impact on what things can be banned and outlawed besides the Legislative Branch of the Federal Government I don't know what to tell you.
    Sure we can lobby a president for or against EO’s, but the real act is getting a law passed…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Maybe help the NRA get enough members elected and pass laws detailing importation of firearms, ammunition, and parts…
    I've been a Life Member since I was a kid and I never stopped my yearly donation to them.
    I've already done the decades of talking to members of Maryland's Statehouse, done my days and days of picketing on Lawyers Mall and podium time at The Statehouse, Thank you.

I have zero desire to start another career at 65 yrs old.

Edit, your getting farther around the barn from Post #127

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Having LaPierre resign is good for the NRA. That being said, "Don't throw the baby out the window with the bath water!" The NRA has done a lot of good in the past for gun owners. Unless you were an adult in the '60's you cannot have a clue as to how impactful the assassination of JFK was to American public opinion! I returned to the states in 1969 to a completely different country and was shocked to have to go to a caged counter and sign my name and address and show my I.D. to buy one box of .22 ammo at a hardware store where I bought the same as a kid. If you let the NRA fail, you are partially responsible and as a group, likely more responsible than the one man who resigned.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The NRA did an incredible job keeping Republicans in line after Sandy Hook. The social and political pressure to pass something was intense.
    You give them sole credit?

I would say there was a lot of actual public pressure on Congress not to act. The NRA was one part of that.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I realize there are a lot of strong feelings on this issue. So far it appears the thread has stayed between the ditches.

There are 76 members of the NRA Board of Directors. As with any corporation the Board selects the CEO. You can't tell me Charles Cotton (NRA Board President) doesn't have a folder with names of potential successors. With that said I wonder how many board members thought this day would come?

Time to reach out to my SUPER SECRET INSIDE SOURCE.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You give them sole credit?

I would say there was a lot of actual public pressure on Congress not to act. The NRA was one part of that.
    The super funny part is the NRA’s enemies say the NRA was the boogieman that stopped it but their supposed allies cannot.

BS that there was “public pressure on congress not to act. Revisionist history much?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I wish it were as simple as removing one silk suit.

For Gun Grabbers the NRA will always be the enabler of massacred and mutilated school children. No matter who is running it.

Now, just like the very broken and divided Republican Party, the weakness in the machine is going to need more than a new President to fix it.

With the new generation of voters, and with each and every shooting incident (accident, violence, criminal, mass shooting and plain negative use) good guy gun rights are under fire.

Lobbying used to have more power in Washington but filthy rich entrepreneurs are now running the show.

At my age I can only support the 2nd Amendment as I have spent my life doing, but for the future, the new generation wants answers, not cliche’s, to fixing the real problems with American Gun Crime.

To do that, the NRA needed Bruce Wayne.

See you on the range

Trapper

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The super funny part is the NRA’s enemies say the NRA was the boogieman that stopped it but their supposed allies cannot.

BS that there was “public pressure on congress not to act. Revisionist history much?
    Where were you? People were contacting the hell out of their Reps and Senators. That is the definition of public pressure.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom