New program launching in Indianapolis to provide safe place for people living in cars

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    So if someone is incapable or unwilling to purchase or rent property then they have no right to exist outside of an institution in this country. Got it. Produce for the system or face what, execution? Exile? Incarceration? Those are the only acceptable outcomes in your world.
    Fixed it.
    See your post above. How in the heck do you have a civil society with folks who don't want to participate in said civil society and its norms?

Where do they "reside"? You even said this...
    Won't be able to see it from my place. I chose to remove myself from an area with too many things I didn't like rather than trying to force my desires onto others or forcing people to keep moving along.
    So as long as you don't see it or are inconvenienced by it, you're all good with it?

TheSpookyCat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2024
    NW Indy
    See your post above. How in the heck do you have a civil society with folks who don't want to participate in said civil society and its norms?

Civil society is necessarily voluntary, it is necessarily cooperative, and it is necessarily mutually beneficial.

Think about that for just a moment.

People have to want it, people have to be willing to work together to achieve it, and it has to provide benefit to everyone who chooses to participate.

Contrast that to our modern social and political landscapes: Our media, in all forms, is built to sell advertisements, not deliver an unbiased view of the world around us.

We cannot navigate social norms and mores if we cannot agree on them in the first place…but that is exactly where we are as a society right now.

Where do they "reside"?

They aren’t residing, that’s the whole problem. They are existing, passing time from one shift to the next.

A century ago Prest-o-lite built Speedway to house their employees. US Steel built Gary.

In modern times Amazon, Wal-Mart, and Door Dash all teach their employees how to apply for section 8 housing and food stamps.

It doesn’t make sense to blame the workers for this, they are just trying to make a living in a deeply corrupted system.

So as long as you don't see it or are inconvenienced by it, you're all good with it?

Telling them to “move along” doesn’t solve the problem, we need to find a way to make participation in civil society attractive, accessible, and beneficial to them.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I cannot help the fact that some people lack the mental capacity to imagine things existing differently than they do now.
    Where do they "reside"? You even said this...
    Why is that your concern? If they aren't on your property what right do you have to tell anyone where they can be?
    I'm all good with people existing. That comment was from you or someone else saying something silly about sending homeless to Arcadia. I stated the fact that I can't see it from here so I wouldn't worry about it. Just like the people living under bridges, in tents, in cars, on the streets or in the woods. As I sit here in my living room enjoying my morning coffee I don't worry about them. They aren't on my property or taking my things so I don't worry about them. ****ing insane concept, I know.

You are on the side of shuffling human beings out of your sight so as not to tarnish your perception of our perfect existence here and I'm the one being a **** out of convenience? That's pretty rich. I'm not the one here fretting over having to see less fortunate people on a regular basis and trying to decide what their future should look like based on how I want to live.

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Civil society is necessarily voluntary, it is necessarily cooperative, and it is necessarily mutually beneficial.

Think about that for just a moment.

People have to want it, people have to be willing to work together to achieve it, and it has to provide benefit to everyone who chooses to participate.

Contrast that to our modern social and political landscapes: Our media, in all forms, is built to sell advertisements, not deliver an unbiased view of the world around us.

We cannot navigate social norms and mores if we cannot agree on them in the first place…but that is exactly where we are as a society right now.
    Based on my travels, most AGREE on social norms. Where are you seeing that the majority do not?
    They aren’t residing, that’s the whole problem. They are existing, passing time from one shift to the next.

A century ago Prest-o-lite built Speedway to house their employees. US Steel built Gary.

In modern times Amazon, Wal-Mart, and Door Dash all teach their employees how to apply for section 8 housing and food stamps.
    DoorDash doesn't have employees, they are contractors. If you don't like section 8, lobby to have it changed!
    It doesn’t make sense to blame the workers for this, they are just trying to make a living in a deeply corrupted system.
    Who's blaming them? I've said it many times, folks need to figure out how the system works and how to benefit from it. But, if you had to wait years to buy a house, you may not understand how the system works.

The wealthy do. They work the tax laws to their advantage, among other things...
    Telling them to “move along” doesn’t solve the problem, we need to find a way to make participation in civil society attractive, accessible, and beneficial to them.
    OK. They don't "reside". How do they eat? How do they bathe?

I cannot help the fact that some people lack the mental capacity to imagine things existing differently than they do now.
    I'll ask again, what's your plan? You've yet to post your solution...

People make bad, bad choices, which is why I'm sure many end up the way they do...
    Why is that your concern? If they aren't on your property what right do you have to tell anyone where they can be?
    I'm quoting you on the out of sight, out of mind. But you're telling me you'd be OK with walking around **** on a sidewalk?
    I'm all good with people existing. That comment was from you or someone else saying something silly about sending homeless to Arcadia. I stated the fact that I can't see it from here so I wouldn't worry about it. Just like the people living under bridges, in tents, in cars, on the streets or in the woods. As I sit here in my living room enjoying my morning coffee I don't worry about them. They aren't on my property or taking my things so I don't worry about them. ****ing insane concept, I know.
    Who said they bother me? I'm simply countering this BS on INGO. I'm currently in the River North area of Chicago, zero people just "existing" here, believe it or not...
    You are on the side of shuffling human beings out of your sight so as not to tarnish your perception of our perfect existence here and I'm the one being a **** out of convenience? That's pretty rich. I'm not the one here fretting over having to see less fortunate people on a regular basis and trying to decide what their future should look like based on how I want to live.
    BS. One cannot simply "exist" as you put it. You need money to eat, money for clothing, money for shelter. How does one simple exist?!

It's 2024, doesn't happen these days...

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I have a nice house, a nice yard and a nice retirement because I HAD a nice JOB for 45 years. It wasn't a job that everyone would have been willing to do but I did it with hopes for the future I'm living now. I didn't demand any of those things, I swapped 45 years of my life for what I have.
    I will not accept anyone setting up a tent in my yard or anywhere in my vicinity because they think it won't trouble me. I'm all for the mentally ill getting help and where the shiftless are concerned I don't mind if they starve. You can call that selfish if you like but people that are able to provide for themselves and don't choose to get no sympathy from me. I'll reserve my concern for those that I love and those that are truly struggling to make a better life for themselves.
    Addendum
    For those that feel they are "put upon" when expected work to supplement their appetite.. A little slice of what it's like in other countries!

Exactly this!

Top Bottom