• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I can do that at work now and STILL make less then you. :): It's not the money though, it's about making a difference.

It takes a certain person to become an officer. You will have to consider the fact that you will have to defend yourself and much worse. There will be nights that you won't sleep. You will either be too cold, too hot or too wet. You will see the worse that people can do and the best. You will be mad at one of your fellow officers but help him in a fight without thinking. Most officers develope relationship problems with their spouses. You work very wierd hours and put in long hours off duty to meet ends meet.

No it's not about the money and it's not about the "rush' that some people believe that officers develope. Certain runs will haunt an officer forever. That's why we have the EAP ... use it. We mostly run around with other officers because they understand you. If you want to become an officer, try a ride-a-long. What might seem like excitemet could seem very dull for you. I care about the people I serve. I also care about the people I supervise. I know this all sounds "corny" but I really want to make that difference.

No, it has never been about the money. I wanted to be an officer sice I was in grade school and became friends with officer who worked the beat where I live at. I started at 8900.00 per year (1975). No horse jokes and I drove a 1974 Plymouth fury.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    It takes a certain person to become an officer. You will have to consider the fact that you will have to defend yourself and much worse. There will be nights that you won't sleep. You will either be too cold, too hot or too wet. You will see the worse that people can do and the best. You will be mad at one of your fellow officers but help him in a fight without thinking. Most officers develope relationship problems with their spouses. You work very wierd hours and put in long hours off duty to meet ends meet.

No it's not about the money and it's not about the "rush' that some people believe that officers develope. Certain runs will haunt an officer forever. That's why we have the EAP ... use it. We mostly run around with other officers because they understand you. If you want to become an officer, try a ride-a-long. What might seem like excitemet could seem very dull for you. I care about the people I serve. I also care about the people I supervise. I know this all sounds "corny" but I really want to make that difference.

No, it has never been about the money. I wanted to be an officer sice I was in grade school and became friends with officer who worked the beat where I live at. I started at 8900.00 per year (1975). No horse jokes and I drove a 1974 Plymouth fury.

I understand that. I work as an EMT for both a private service and a 911 service. I have seen people at their best and people at their worst. I have done a couple of ride alongs, and am hoping to do another. I enjoy the ride along time. Last ride along I went on was overnight, we did 2 or 3 runs, pulled over couple of cars, drove around for a little bit talking and just watching. My current job, if I work overnight, it entails sitting on my rear staring at a TV or the back of my eyelids. I enjoyed the times I've done a ride-along. I second guessed doing LE, which is why I got into EMS. When I did my ride-along, I re-evaluated my EMS job. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I have a feeling LE would be more fun and rewarding for me. I enjoy interacting with people, whether in a good sense or a bad sense. I realize that in LE, you guys deal with a lot of people in the negative sense, but who doesn't? I encounter patients who are drunk, high, just plain *******s.

keiths34

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    hopkinsville
    I just reviewed my dd214. I have separation code of 2c. "Involuntary separation with honorable discharge". Any ideas on what the recruiters would think of this?

keiths34

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    hopkinsville
    Had issues back home come forth while i was in basic training. it says " entry level separation" and the coding refers to "Involuntary separation with honorable discharge" im just curious as to where this will stand. I have applied to the PD, and will be taking the written exam soon.

I initally put down on the supplemental questions that i HAD been dishonorably discharged. upon researching my dd214, im realizing this is not true.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I understand that. I work as an EMT for both a private service and a 911 service. I have seen people at their best and people at their worst. I have done a couple of ride alongs, and am hoping to do another. I enjoy the ride along time. Last ride along I went on was overnight, we did 2 or 3 runs, pulled over couple of cars, drove around for a little bit talking and just watching. My current job, if I work overnight, it entails sitting on my rear staring at a TV or the back of my eyelids. I enjoyed the times I've done a ride-along. I second guessed doing LE, which is why I got into EMS. When I did my ride-along, I re-evaluated my EMS job. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I have a feeling LE would be more fun and rewarding for me. I enjoy interacting with people, whether in a good sense or a bad sense. I realize that in LE, you guys deal with a lot of people in the negative sense, but who doesn't? I encounter patients who are drunk, high, just plain *******s.

I have seen the patients that you transport. They are mostly too much like the ones we encounter. Be honest, what percentage actually need immediate emergency medical help. I also work in an area local hospital. It's funny (sad funny) to see the abuse that people put on the system because they are bored at night. I have seen whole families pack up and take up two or three rooms because of "foot pain". It's more of a family affair on our dime. Most don't have insurance, wonderful system.

But there is also abuse on our end. I have seen officers get called out to an unruly 8 year old. I have told people that this is not a police call. We (you and me) can't fix in fifteen minutes wht has taken years to develope.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have seen officers get called out to an unruly 8 year old. I have told people that this is not a police call. We (you and me) can't fix in fifteen minutes what has taken years to develop.

When I worked afternoons we got called out to things like that all the time. I think the youngest one was four. I don't think the parents expected to be the ones on the wrong end of that call. :laugh:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    When I worked afternoons we got called out to things like that all the time. I think the youngest one was four. I don't think the parents expected to be the ones on the wrong end of that call. :laugh:

That has me beat. I was working once at a hospital when a patient was complaining about foot pain. The nurse told him to take off his sock. He forgot that was where he hid his dope.

bk5777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    bloomington
    If your a young individual seeking employment in the law enforcement area, Don't give all of your focus in IMPD (Indianapolis). Heres why. Lets say that they want to hire 100 people (most common) and they have 2000 (or more) applicants.. As stated by a person in personnel. First we have to hire 30% from the ethnic groups. Then we focus on those officers who have volunteered their time as reserve officers with IMPD (Which should have first opportunities). Then, we try to focus on family members of existing officers. After we look at those people, we might have 25 positions open. Therefore, even though you may be prior military with a college degree, your chances are limited. Spread yourself around to other departments. Indianapolis Police Department would be a wonderful place to be employed with a strong union. However, getting through the door is tough. The process is approximately a year long. Do not limit yourself.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If your a young individual seeking employment in the law enforcement area, Don't give all of your focus in IMPD (Indianapolis). Heres why. Lets say that they want to hire 100 people (most common) and they have 2000 (or more) applicants.. As stated by a person in personnel. First we have to hire 30% from the ethnic groups. Then we focus on those officers who have volunteered their time as reserve officers with IMPD (Which should have first opportunities). Then, we try to focus on family members of existing officers. After we look at those people, we might have 25 positions open. Therefore, even though you may be prior military with a college degree, your chances are limited. Spread yourself around to other departments. Indianapolis Police Department would be a wonderful place to be employed with a strong union. However, getting through the door is tough. The process is approximately a year long. Do not limit yourself.

Out of 100, I'd be shocked if you got 30% ethnic. Are you on the hiring board? With the exception of reserves, I strongly disagree with preferential treatment based on ethnicity, sex, or nepotism.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It has been in the news recently. Plus, every time the department is mentioned on the Amos Brown show they seem to discuss how few black people are employed as officers.

IMPD looking to hire more minorities

MPOA Says More Black Cops Needed | Indy's News Center - 93.1 WIBC Indianapolis - Live. Local. First.

I don't have an issue with IMPD reaching out to groups that are under-represented on their force, but those that apply shouldn't be chosen over superior candidates (regardless of what box they check). But the fact remains, that even if there was a "bonus" for being ethnic, odds are with the number of applicants that will apply (which will be very few), they won't diversify much, and I don't think that there's any real danger of any of them taking someone else's spot.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I have seen the patients that you transport. They are mostly too much like the ones we encounter. Be honest, what percentage actually need immediate emergency medical help. I also work in an area local hospital. It's funny (sad funny) to see the abuse that people put on the system because they are bored at night. I have seen whole families pack up and take up two or three rooms because of "foot pain". It's more of a family affair on our dime. Most don't have insurance, wonderful system.

But there is also abuse on our end. I have seen officers get called out to an unruly 8 year old. I have told people that this is not a police call. We (you and me) can't fix in fifteen minutes wht has taken years to develope.

Immediate? I would say no more than 70%, from my limited experience. One of our crews had a call one night (0200) for SOB, ran emergent over there to find the patient sitting outside smoking and hooked up to O2. Some people are just :n00b:.

Top Bottom