Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edporch
    Yes, i read the news, and I'm not a fan of Walmart.

These complaints and lawsuits provide legal justification for Walmart's employees to decide they're not going to work on a given day how...?

Wal-Mart employees still possess the right to make an informed decision and act upon it......regardless of any perceived justification.

Though they still have to live with the consequences of doing so.

Absolutely.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I really like the idea posted earlier about tailgating and filming the people of walmart. I think I may actually do this. As a "yute" I spent a lot of time sitting on a bench behind a plastic bush smoking cigarettes and watching people in all their splendor in the College Mall in bloomington. I learned a lot about people and how stupid they are that way. The more there are in any given place the lower the collective IQ tends to be. I think this is at least partially why I hate people so much and also why I refuse to set foot in a mall to this day.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm not interested in a "worker's rights" vs. "employer's rights" argument. I just want to throw one thought out.

When I was a kid (I am 41), on major holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, maybe one or two others, about all you found open was a gas station here or there, maybe a convenience store. For a very few days a year, most people took time to be with family or be alone, or just take a short breather.

I do not think it is a positive thing that we have convinced ourselves that constant shopping, 24/7 regardless of the day, is a good thing. It is not. Tomorrow the deals will be there. Tomorrow you can go worship at the almighty altar of consumerism and materialism. I don't think it would kill any retailer to shut down for a day or, two or three in the course of the years so its workers can be with family and it's customers can cope with delayed gratification, perhaps for the first time in a long time.

The speed at which our society moves is, by and large, not a positive. I would never tell any retailer what it must do, but I would humbly suggest a reassessment.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'm not interested in a "worker's rights" vs. "employer's rights" argument. I just want to throw one thought out.

When I was a kid (I am 41), on major holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, maybe one or two others, about all you found open was a gas station here or there, maybe a convenience store. For a very few days a year, most people took time to be with family or be alone, or just take a short breather.

I do not think it is a positive thing that we have convinced ourselves that constant shopping, 24/7 regardless of the day, is a good thing. It is not. Tomorrow the deals will be there. Tomorrow you can go worship at the almighty altar of consumerism and materialism. I don't think it would kill any retailer to shut down for a day or, two or three in the course of the years so its workers can be with family and it's customers can cope with delayed gratification, perhaps for the first time in a long time.

The speed at which our society moves is, by and large, not a positive. I would never tell any retailer what it must do, but I would humbly suggest a reassessment.
    I'm 40, 41 in a few months, and recall as recent as 1995 you were lucky to find even a pharmacy open on thanksgiving. I remember this because I searched all day to find even a canned ham at a walgreens on thanksgiving day 1995 for my roommate and myself. We hit EVERY bar in minneapolis/stpaul that day and maybe 6 were open. Since we couldn't get food, we thought a bloody mary hunt was a good idea. At the end of the day we returned to the place that served the best drink and tipped the bartender $100.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Agreed. I'm not that much older than you and I can remember when most businesses were closed on Sundays too. But then again, I can remember when divorce, having children out of wedlock, cheating on your spouse, going on welfare, etc were things to be avoided. Things weren't perfect then by any means, but there were good things we've abandoned on our way to our current state of enlightenment.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I want to know if the Wal Mart workers went through the proper procedures before they decided to walk out. Did they provide Wal Mart with counseling/correction procedures? Did they give Wal Mart a chance to explain themselves? Are they sure they're being completely fair?

Wal Mart needs those workers. I don't think they should legally be able to walk out unless they've gone through the proper procedures and given Wal Mart a fair chance. I think maybe they're discriminating against Wal Mart.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    picture.php

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Boo-Hoo! Any Walmart employee complaining about having to work a holiday and get paid to do so will never get any sympathy from me. I guess if you fired them for not coming to work, they'd complain about that too. There's plenty of people out there that would gladly work on a holiday and get paid.

Bobby100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    no job is perfect and im sure there are some real complaint,but they better be careful i all ready lost my twinkies

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I want to know if the Wal Mart workers went through the proper procedures before they decided to walk out. Did they provide Wal Mart with counseling/correction procedures? Did they give Wal Mart a chance to explain themselves? Are they sure they're being completely fair?

Wal Mart needs those workers. I don't think they should legally be able to walk out unless they've gone through the proper procedures and given Wal Mart a fair chance. I think maybe they're discriminating against Wal Mart.

I don't see the purple in your post, but remember that "Employment at will" works both ways. Employers generally don't need a reason, nor are required to provide notice to anyone before terminating employment. Employees are similarly qualified to do the same to their employer.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I might go to the local super Walmarts (plural) on Black Friday just to point and snicker at all of the people slavishly paying Federal Reserve notes for Chinese goods at a fevered pace.

It does drive a thinking person to head shaking, doesn't it?

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth

post i made early in thread

This has nothing to do with unions ...love the spin..... i also love some of the comments here fire them, thats retail etc. i find it funny that these people are standing up to family values and the core of a family setting on a hoilday. This is the history of thanksgiving, (IS Wal -mart a most to be open that day no) again some here are the reason we are in the shape we are in. lets just throw all our family hoilday out no time off period......some here are like how dare you want a day off to celebrate and give prayer and thanks....:xmad::bash:

Remember it all started from the puritans in 1621 which in time turned into a day of being thankful for what you have and time with family. But hey lets ignore all that for the love of making me money and greed.... you want to know why many children today have no morals or family values its because people endorse it.:twocents: :patriot:

really .........i spent six Thanksgiving in the sand ........and you really want to compare a military personal job to a walmart workers on turkey day......talk about spin :yesway:.........a lot of people need to wake up and smell the coffee ..... on our vaules and what made America great ...but hey if you want to defend this sweatshop/slavery/ china goods/ etc.. ok keep drinking:koolaid:

Top Bottom