• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    So I finally got my vz.58 out that I got bought almost 3 months ago on Saturday...

Let me just say, it is one of the smoothest shooting rifles I've shot! I love this thing, recoil is very manageable, almost UN-noticable. I ran about 120 rounds through it using a variety of Mil-Surp, and Czechpoint mags, and various Mil-Surp, old Remington, and Tula ammo, and never had a single malfunction... had a couple of friends out with me and they shot it and agreed it was one of the smoothest weapons of it's class that they'd fired as well!

If you are thinking of getting an AK in either 7.62x39, or 5.56x45, you owe it to yourself to take a hard look at the vz.58! Now I truly understand why those that have them love them! :rockwoot:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I am soon to be purchasing a Czechpoint VZ58. I actually want to get the sporter with the polymer fixed stock, I just like the looks of the stock on that slim rifle. Great to hear you like yours, how was the accuracy?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Love the look of those rifles!

Don't like the heft of those rifles! Of course, it's the heft that make recoil that much less noticeable.

If they only took standard AK mags...or could be easily modified to take standard AK mags... *sigh*

-J-

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

Don't like the heft of those rifles! Of course, it's the heft that make recoil that much less noticeable.

If they only took standard AK mags...or could be easily modified to take standard AK mags... *sigh*

-J-

An Arsenal SGL-21, stamped AK with poly furniture weighs 7.15 lbs w/o the mag.

A Czechpoint milled VZ58 with poly furniture weighs 7.03 lbs w/o the mag.

To what extra heft do you refer?

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Agreed. I've got a VZ58. With the fixed stock, it is considerably lighter than my stamped Hungarian AK. It is about the same as my AMD-65, which is really saying something.

When I heft my flat top 16" AR with red, magnifier, light and VFG... well, the naked VZ is sleek and light in comparison.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Guess that the milled receiver / folding wire stocked VZ2008s that I've handled have just felt heavier than a traditional stamped AK. that's all.

Perhaps it's a balance thing, rather than a total weight thing.

I still like 'em.

-J-

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Guess that the milled receiver / folding wire stocked VZ2008s that I've handled have just felt heavier than a traditional stamped AK. that's all.

Perhaps it's a balance thing, rather than a total weight thing.

I still like 'em.

-J-

You could be right. They are so darn skinny, they look field stripped when they are whole.:ingo:

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    Getting ready to order one of these...
    Japartridge, did you get the receiver side rail installed?
    I'm thinking about doing that when I order it, even though I don't have plans to add an optic right away. I just figure it will be better than having to send it back when I do decide that I want to add a red dot.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Well... here's my D-Tek.
    IMG_7846.jpg

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington

-J-
    why would you want them to use standard AK magazines? they are heavier, and don't hold the bolt open on the last round? as to the heft, they are lighter than an AK?

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Getting ready to order one of these...
    Japartridge, did you get the receiver side rail installed?
    I'm thinking about doing that when I order it, even though I don't have plans to add an optic right away. I just figure it will be better than having to send it back when I do decide that I want to add a red dot.

I did the same thing that you are thinking of. I got the side rail installed, will be getting the CSA mount soon. I could not see having to send the rifle back to them to get it properly installed!

I would recommend getting it installed right off the bat, no reason not to IMO.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I am soon to be purchasing a Czechpoint VZ58. I actually want to get the sporter with the polymer fixed stock, I just like the looks of the stock on that slim rifle. Great to hear you like yours, how was the accuracy?

I went with the classic Military version, as I'm planning on replacing the furniture anyway... I need a longer LOP, and a significantly larger pistol grip... I make FullAuto from MAC looks small!:n00b:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I plan on heading over to the LGS later this week to pick up a poly sporter model, I just like the looks. I hope to have time to do a mini range report / comparison between it and an Arsenal SGL-20 I have sitting around.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I plan on heading over to the LGS later this week to pick up a poly sporter model, I just like the looks. I hope to have time to do a mini range report / comparison between it and an Arsenal SGL-20 I have sitting around.

Nice!:rockwoot: As to the accuracy, it is more accurate than I am! right out of the box I was shooting the caps off of 2 liter bottles at 30 yards.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Why would a guy want that rifle to use AK magazines?

Because AK mags are a thousand times more common and much less expensive.

Same reason that carbines that take Glock magazines are rather desirable: mags are everywhere and relatively inexpensive.

-J-

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Why would a guy want that rifle to use AK magazines?

Because AK mags are a thousand times more common and much less expensive.

Same reason that carbines that take Glock magazines are rather desirable: mags are everywhere and relatively inexpensive.

-J-

OK, I can give you the more common thing, but cheaper? I get them for $12.50 each now, if I would have ordered 6 months ago, they would have been $10 each... :dunno:

As for the carbine thing, I agree, now if someone would come out with a carbine taking XDm mags, I'd be real happy!

Top Bottom