• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    We're all pretty big on not disarming for anyone, anywhere... EXCEPT a gun show. Why do we voluntarily disarm at a gun show? When I go to one, I generally have a lot of cash with me. I'm parking and walking through what I normally consider unsecured areas. When I leave, I may or may not have a new gun purchase which has great street value - again, walking in an unsecured area. As opposed to when I go to Walmart - no cash, just a debit card that can be canceled.

Yes, we can carry our gun up to the entrance of the gun show and then have it unloaded with the plastic twistie thing put in it - but if we needed to use the gun while in the gun show area are we going to say "wait! I have to clip off this twistie thing and load my gun so I can eliminate the threat!"

It bothers me that the place that should be the safest (since there are 100's of gun owners) isn't. Bad guys aren't stupid... are we for disarming voluntarily?

How do you like this pot stir?!! :popcorn:

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I always carry at gun shows.
    I have firearms I will be showing/selling zip tied but my carry piece will only come out if it needs to be fired.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It bothers me that the place that should be the safest (since there are 100's of gun owners) isn't.

Have you seen the gun handling that takes place at gun shows?

Have you read about all the discharges and people shot at gun shows?

Insurance demands that the promotes make some effort. However, what I do not understand is all the jacking with guns that no designated area to do so is ever constructed. It's not like we haven't had incidents.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I've honestly never heard of a armed robbery inside at a show (exclude vendor jokes) and I've been told and understand the reason. You can't fix stupid and to be honest too many accidents would happen if they didn't. Most people abide by the rule and those who don't usually don't show and tell.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    The thinking is neutered animals are usually tamer, safer and better behaved. I got mine zipped and went in and enjoyed the show.:rockwoot:

Start fanning the flames?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You can choose not to go.

I don't know how many ND's the average show would have - but looking around - I'd bet you a case of 45acp that if every dumb hick that brought his Tactical Ninja Operator cocked and locked and ready to rawk, it would be an all out war zone.

There are some idiots at these shows.
    Just enough to cause a bloodbath.

I'm sure many conceal loaded and never to whip it out - against the rule - but I could care less.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    It bothers me that the place that should be the safest (since there are 100's of gun owners) isn't. Bad guys aren't stupid... are we for disarming voluntarily?

Not stirring the pot as much as you think . I'll submit that the shows aren't as safe as you think BECAUSE of the attendees .

On the surface , a show should be a safe place but dig a little deeper and you'll find that they often aren't because some JACKASS decides to load a gun and forgets to follow simple safe handling procedures and has an AD/ND .

Not to mention that most of the attendees seem to know absolutely nothing about personal hygiene spreading their funk around , further adding to the dangers faced by the casual shopper .

Just like a hospital being a bad place to hang out because of all the sick people , shows are also because you never know who's an AD/ND waiting to happen .

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Bloomington, Illinois 2011, customer lays Mini-14 back on table, it discharges upon being placed on the table (somehow the Mini-14 in Bloomington does not believe all the gun exspurts on INGO that say firearms do not do this):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbBzKpL4n44

We've had shootings at the Indy1500 when people want to "lemme show ya what eye carry".

It seems you have to go with the lowest common denominator as there will always be someone who does not get the word.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    And once again we have those that obey the rules and laws and those who wish to make their own rules and laws. Is it any wonder we have the problems in society we do.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We're all pretty big on not disarming for anyone, anywhere... EXCEPT a gun show. Why do we voluntarily disarm at a gun show? When I go to one, I generally have a lot of cash with me. I'm parking and walking through what I normally consider unsecured areas. When I leave, I may or may not have a new gun purchase which has great street value - again, walking in an unsecured area. As opposed to when I go to Walmart - no cash, just a debit card that can be canceled.

Yes, we can carry our gun up to the entrance of the gun show and then have it unloaded with the plastic twistie thing put in it - but if we needed to use the gun while in the gun show area are we going to say "wait! I have to clip off this twistie thing and load my gun so I can eliminate the threat!"

They don't trust you with a loaded gun, simple as that. I don't go, same as I won't frequent any gun shop that says no loaded guns.

Its odd so many people here argue about unsafe gun handlers at disarming everyone because of them, but oppose any type of regulation on guns. I don't understand the logic other than "you are free to be unsafe as long as you aren't doing it where I am."

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Jethro can't find or can't be bothered to wash under his nether-regions during his bimonthly hygiene maintenece program.

Do you think I should trust Jethro with his firearms being made safe?

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    The couple times I've gone, I have CC'd and no one was the wiser. There is no flawed logic in asking to disarm. Most gun shops also have signs posted saying, "no loaded firearms." A couple years ago I attended a show on the southeast corner of the state. Was looking for an XD45. Found a booth that had one used and wanted to check and see if it came with the 10 or 13 round mag. Dropped the mag and saw it was filled to capacity. Fortunately there was not one in the chamber but I handed the mag to the guy running the booth, told him to take care of it, and moved on to the next booth.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The next show you go to, take the first two hours to watch people as opposed to guns. Watch how they handle guns.

A good game to play would be:
    I'll give you a dollar for every person you see gun handling with their finger off the trigger. You give me a dollar for every one handling a gun with their finger on the trigger. Wanna take a run at it?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Its odd so many people here argue about unsafe gun handlers at disarming everyone because of them, but oppose any type of regulation on guns. I don't understand the logic other than "you are free to be unsafe as long as you aren't doing it where I am."

Recognizing that others are untrained and unsafe does not mean we should not acknowledge this fact as insurance is driving the bus and the reason for the "safety checks" at the door.

I would be all for allowing me to carry loaded guns into a gun show, but that is me and I know me. I have the hours not to touch it and pull them out and say "here, Luke Duke, lemme show ya whut eye carry." However, who trusts my training without knowing me from Adam's housecat?:dunno:

Whenever you talk about "we" you will always have the same play to the lowest common denominator. Put yourself in the promoters' shoes, what would you do, Blue?

You give me a dollar for every one handling a gun with their finger on the trigger. Wanna take a run at it?

Is the person me or a person I so designate?:D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    To address the specific points in the OP:

We're all pretty big on not disarming for anyone, anywhere... EXCEPT a gun show. Why do we voluntarily disarm at a gun show?

Because it is a condition to entry. Property rights.

When I go to one, I generally have a lot of cash with me. I'm parking and walking through what I normally consider unsecured areas. When I leave, I may or may not have a new gun purchase which has great street value - again, walking in an unsecured area.

Well, carry your gun then, load it when you get them after your extended hump through Indian Country that is 38th Street.

If you have an argument it would be that gun shows do not provided sand barrels/bag/fiddle tables/etc. If they did the promoters would eliminate discharges in which people are injured or killed.

Risk vs. utility. Which is a greater threat:

1. Ice Dawg and Ray ray hittin' a lick inside the gun show, OR

2. Cledus and His Other Brother Cledus pointing that there raffle gon at everyone including me or the guy who reeeeaalllllly wants to show you his pistol gun?

We are not stupid, we are simply realizing that A is A. Each incident of a firearm discharging when being placed down on a table at a gun show, each incident of guns falling out of pockets and hurting innocents, hurts all gun owners. Work to change the culture and we shall change the world.

If we want to combat this, work to change the culture. Work to foster firearms safety and promote firearms education so these gun show shootings become a thing of the past.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I would submit that gun shows are one of the safer places we go. Everyone there is armed and we all know that an armed society is a polite society. Subm.itting to having your carry piece unloaded and strapped while you are in the show only helps prevents accidental discharges. People regularly pull their guns to show them to someone or compare features these are all excellent oportunities for accidents.

As for approaching or leaving, I always reload before leaving the building. Remember there are people in the parking lot with guns, the odds of someone trying to rob you there are very slim. Thieves as a rule don't like thier odds when everyone around is carrying.

Lemmitt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    New Albany
    I remember a few years back when I was walking into the 1500 and as soon as a guy stepped outside he loaded his Derringer and when he went to slip it into his pocket and walk on he dropped it and shot himself in the leg. :n00b:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Put yourself in the promoters' shoes, what would you do, Blue?

Whatever made the show profitable, probably. That would be my job as promoter, not enforcing my own particular ideals of the world.

I understand why. I'm not suggesting their aren't idiots at a gun show. I'm not suggesting their aren't criminals, the mentally ill, and the people who never had the chance to learn proper gun handling at gun shows. I'm suggesting that those are the exact same people that make up our society, and if you don't trust them with a loaded gun at a gun show why do you trust them at a bar, a bank, or McDonald's?

I also understand the rights of the property owner, but we see how many people on this board gleefully ignore those and make snide comments about "why don't they just outlaw crime?" After all, if I choose to carry an AK-47 into McDonald's its within my rights, and there's a contingent on this forum that would scream bloody murder if anyone bothered to question me on it, let alone refuse me service. Why can't I do the same at a gun show or shop?

I'm not saying you are one of those, I don't know and don't keep track of everyone's views here. I'm saying there's a logical disconnect in complaining about one business but accepting the exact same, if not worse, treatment at another just because its "gun oriented."

Top Bottom