• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    There is absolutely no one curtailing your rights.

You are free to remain armed and not visit the venue. The event "owner" has every *right* to set rules. Protest by not supporting his event.

It amazes me that no one complains when gun shops do this very thing.

Because the state fair grounds is public property. I'm getting tired of private companies renting a space and imposing unconstitutional rules.

If it is actually privately owned I've got no problem with their rules.

Last 1500 I went to I carried concealed. My gun is not leaving my hip unless it's use is needed.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It amazes me that no one complains when gun shops do this very thing.

I complain very vocally when gun shops do this very thing. I refuse to patronize stores who attempt to disarm me. I know of at least one shop that changed his policy (and his sign) as a direct result.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Because the state fair grounds is public property. I'm getting tired of private companies renting a space and imposing unconstitutional rules.

If it is actually privately owned I've got no problem with their rules.

Last 1500 I went to I carried concealed. My gun is not leaving my hip unless it's use is needed.
    Then the blame is equally shared by the Fair Board and the event "owner".

I complain very vocally when gun shops do this very thing. I refuse to patronize stores who attempt to disarm me. I know of at least one shop that changed his policy (and his sign) as a direct result.
    I applaud you. It irks me to no end that these businesses who are more than willing to sell you a firearm won't allow you access with one.

Too many people just shrug it off by saying, "It's for insurance reasons. I understand."

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    MHO:

I didn't feel real comfortable walking back to my car with a new gun, $200 cash in my pocket, in the dark, and in that part of town.

That being said, for every uniformed officer you saw, there are many more that are in plain clothes. Most LEOs are gun nuts just like the rest of us, so you can bet your sweet ass they were there.

Disarming at the door is their rule, and you don't have to go if you don't like it. But it's pretty hard to deny that the one place in the world where people will draw their weapon for a reason other than firing it is at a gun show. Mix that with buyer/seller excitement and the 4 rules get overlooked.

I fully agree that leaving holstered weapons loaded is probably safer. Unfortunately, many go without the intent to buy, see a killer deal and get excited. Sure you agreed at the door to leave your 1911 in the holster, but these new custom grips are what you've been waiting for and they'll do free installation! Out comes the gun, out comes the round, out comes the mag, drop the hammer..... BOOM. Your excitement about a new product caused a lapse in concentration and someone got killed.

I can't tell you how many pistols I saw drawn to talk about sights, finishes, grips, accessory fitment, etc. You can't tell me that having one of those loaded would be safer than unloading it and having it ziptied at the door.

StreetStrip01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Florida
    MHO:

I didn't feel real comfortable walking back to my car with a new gun, $200 cash in my pocket, in the dark, and in that part of town.

That being said, for every uniformed officer you saw, there are many more that are in plain clothes. Most LEOs are gun nuts just like the rest of us, so you can bet your sweet ass they were there.

Disarming at the door is their rule, and you don't have to go if you don't like it. But it's pretty hard to deny that the one place in the world where people will draw their weapon for a reason other than firing it is at a gun show. Mix that with buyer/seller excitement and the 4 rules get overlooked.

I fully agree that leaving holstered weapons loaded is probably safer. Unfortunately, many go without the intent to buy, see a killer deal and get excited. Sure you agreed at the door to leave your 1911 in the holster, but these new custom grips are what you've been waiting for and they'll do free installation! Out comes the gun, out comes the round, out comes the mag, drop the hammer..... BOOM. Your excitement about a new product caused a lapse in concentration and someone got killed.

I can't tell you how many pistols I saw drawn to talk about sights, finishes, grips, accessory fitment, etc. You can't tell me that having one of those loaded would be safer than unloading it and having it ziptied at the door.

Much like the shootings that are, and have been happening and the recourse from them, you are holding the entire population accountable/responsible for the tainted actions of one.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Too bad they were all disarmed, too. Because of the sign at the door that says "POSITIVELY NO LOADED FIREARMS", you see.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Much like the shootings that are, and have been happening and the recourse from them, you are holding the entire population accountable/responsible for the tainted actions of one.

Not exactly. For instance, a law abiding citizen isn't going to carry their gun into the grocery and pull it out for any other reason than firing it. The gun show offers good reason to draw a weapon without intent fire it, so the stats say the risks of an accident increase greatly. I just agree with that stat. Same stats for gun stores.

Too bad they were all disarmed, too. Because of the sign at the door that says "POSITIVELY NO LOADED FIREARMS", you see.
    You forgot the sarcasm smiley. LEOs are exempted due to their high degree of train..BOOM!

Last edited:

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    It would be nice to see one or two sand traps outside for those who choose to comply. I personally have no problem with complying. I have complied and not complied past. I see a lot of people removing firearms from their holsters to check the fit of accessories and for my safety and others I am pleased to see the orange tie when they do. As previously stated its your choice but if not complying "if its on the hip it stays on the hip unless absolutely needed".

rgoodin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I m not for disarming, but, I am for a proper clearing tube and/or barrel available for individuals to clear there weapons prior to entering

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Ahhh! Why did this thread have to come back!

You want to break the rules and carry? No one's going to stop you. Just (A) don't touch the gun inside (or outside), (B) don't advertise it on the internet.

Why the latter? I figure a lot of newbies look here and say, "If he's doing it, then I should too." The problem is they shouldn't.

And this thread is still coming back. But excellent points. That's why I think it's dumb for anybody to break the rules and carry at gunshows.

Is it too late to say that? :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom