Virginia woman buys 31 guns in two weeks.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    I read that yesterday but haven't seen any discussion of it anywhere, either.

Wow, huh? That would seem to be a pretty clear case of either straw buying or the unlicensed operation of a firearms dealership. I have to say that I'm often amazed at the number of unlicensed people who appear to be selling for profit. Maybe I'm just paranoid because I work in criminal law, but I'm astonished that folks would do something that easily proven. FWIW, I always try to make sure that I sell any firearm that I haven't had for years and years (and most of them, too) at a demonstrable loss (even a one-dollar loss - no reason to go crazy here) so as to be able to counter any such claim.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    There is a LGS down here that never raised their prices on guns, and posted on their FB page that they do look at some on line gun classifieds. If they see one of their guns go up for sale in the few days after the sale, they will notify the ATF.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    There is a LGS down here that never raised their prices on guns, and posted on their FB page that they do look at some on line gun classifieds. If they see one of their guns go up for sale in the few days after the sale, they will notify the ATF.

Who is that? I'd like to to business with them.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon

It's Whittaker's. It's posted on their face book page too. They have some sort of lottery system and when new guns come in and your number is up you get to buy it or pass. The prices I've seen seem pretty fair.
    Whittaker Guns

The lady in the OP is going to pay dearly for her greed.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    We've had several people in INGO's classifieds who have abused it a bit much. I think they think that no one is looking at every ad and tracking what guns they have for sale and how often they're selling. We've even had members use one ad and keep rotating the items every day by editing the top post, trying to be sneaky. It is my honest opinion that there are some members right here who are going to be in for a rude surprise soon when they get a knock on the door.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I read that yesterday but haven't seen any discussion of it anywhere, either.

Wow, huh? That would seem to be a pretty clear case of either straw buying or the unlicensed operation of a firearms dealership. I have to say that I'm often amazed at the number of unlicensed people who appear to be selling for profit. Maybe I'm just paranoid because I work in criminal law, but I'm astonished that folks would do something that easily proven. FWIW, I always try to make sure that I sell any firearm that I haven't had for years and years (and most of them, too) at a demonstrable loss (even a one-dollar loss - no reason to go crazy here) so as to be able to counter any such claim.

I've met a number of unlicensed folks that have tables at a gunshow every weekend it seems. I always think about that how they are making profit (or maybe just breaking even with the price of gas and table rental fees? I dunno) yet have no FFL. At a south bend show I actually sold a j frame revolver to a guy with a eastern european accent that rents tables I've seen at least 3 other gunshows before, and he turns around and puts it on his table and wrote a price tag $50 higher than what I sold it to him for!:evilangel:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    We've had several people in INGO's classifieds who have abused it a bit much. I think they think that no one is looking at every ad and tracking what guns they have for sale and how often they're selling. We've even had members use one ad and keep rotating the items every day by editing the top post, trying to be sneaky. It is my honest opinion that there are some members right here who are going to be in for a rude surprise soon when they get a knock on the door.
    Good point. I hate to recommend another sticky, but maybe a note about private selling as a business should be highlighted somehow for the sellers. It won't eliminate the problem, but it might cut down at least some of it and save those individuals from their own ignorance. Something along the lines of "Want to avoid getting into trouble with the law for using these classifieds? Please read." might get people's attention.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've met a number of unlicensed folks that have tables at a gunshow every weekend it seems. I always think about that how they are making profit (or maybe just breaking even with the price of gas and table rental fees? I dunno) yet have no FFL. At a south bend show I actually sold a j frame revolver to a guy with a eastern european accent that rents tables I've seen at least 3 other gunshows before, and he turns around and puts it on his table and wrote a price tag $50 higher than what I sold it to him for!:evilangel:

Didn't some guy finally get busted at the last 1500 for that?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I do a lot of trading and will sell something occasionally. Don't think I've ever made a profit or if I did it was from a gun I bought 10-15yrs ago. Mostly just trade to get something different for a while.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I do a lot of trading and will sell something occasionally. Don't think I've ever made a profit or if I did it was from a gun I bought 10-15yrs ago. Mostly just trade to get something different for a while.

That's not the situation they are concerned about.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I've noticed that as well and wondered about a few. While I've made a number of deals through the classifieds myself from time to time on INGO I rarely sell anything for a profit. As a matter of fact I've given someone a very good deal on quite a few different items.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    +10 for Whittakers. They are doing a great job of taking care of their customer base.

Except for that whole "We're going to report you to the ATF if you decide you don't like the gun we sold you" thing.

Good point. I hate to recommend another sticky, but maybe a note about private selling as a business should be highlighted somehow for the sellers. It won't eliminate the problem, but it might cut down at least some of it and save those individuals from their own ignorance. Something along the lines of "Want to avoid getting into trouble with the law for using these classifieds? Please read." might get people's attention.

INGO already disallows selling as a business if you are not an advertiser. When a seller comes to the attention of the staff as someone who may be buying or selling in violation of the law, the response to inquiries is, universally, a polite but firm "get bent". INGO has always been careful to maintain a neutral position on classified use. We're not the police and it's not up to INGO to track your sales. So, you're on your own. If you get popped, it's your own fault.

Besides, it's hard enough getting people to stop bumping their ad early, let alone read and consider a sticky about unlicensed sales.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    That's not the situation they are concerned about.

I know. I've seen the "Private Collection" tables at the shows for years. The same guys have been doing the 1500 and Stout Field shows for 20yrs or more. They must have one gianormus collection! With all the bad press guns are getting lately it just makes one paranoid. :(

Top Bottom