Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I agree that this battle has been won but the war is not over.

The article says the appeal will go to arbitration. I've seen some arbitrators make some really strange and unexpected decisions.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    For now. He's appealing and claiming it's PTSD. While I don't mean to downplay PTSD, I'm seeing it first hand with a good friend and in hindsight I know my Dad has suffered from it, I think that it's a convenient excuse at this point for the guy. I sincerely hope he doesn't end up back out on patrol.

Actually if he does really have PTSD then that is all the more reason he should not be in law enforcement.

It makes no sense to give someone with a serious psychological condition a weapon and stick them out in the street with said weapon and the government backed power to use it.

If it is determined to be legit he can be rehired and transferred to a civilian position where he does not have interaction with the public nor "police powers".

IMO he should also face any charges, if any, that a civilian would have been had they done the same thing as he did.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    This is the first thing I thought of when the article made mention of PTSD.

Yeah, I don't really see how they can be using that as an argument that he SHOULDN'T be terminated.

Makes no sense. If anything it only supports it... or at the very least an offer of transfer into a non-law enforcement role (after of course he answers for what he did criminally... I may be wrong but I don't think our returning servicemen get breaks cut for them because they do something against the law while having PTSD).

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Actually if he does really have PTSD then that is all the more reason he should not be in law enforcement.

It makes no sense to give someone with a serious psychological condition a weapon and stick them out in the street with said weapon and the government backed power to use it.

If it is determined to be legit he can be rehired and transferred to a civilian position where he does not have interaction with the public nor "police powers".

IMO he should also face any charges, if any, that a civilian would have been had they done the same thing as he did.

One commentator on the site had a great idea... if Harless really does have PTSD then doesn't that qualify him as not being capable of owning a gun? Let's strip him from all firearms and send him back into the community, eh.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    If I threatened to kill a police officer the courts wouldn't give a crap if I had PTSD. They would hang me out to dry. I would have went to jail a long time ago. He gets fired and no charges? That's a load of "you know what".

Top Bottom