• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I usually don't stick my neck too far into these threads. I rarely have something to add that hasn't already been said at length. But this thread, in particular, has really surprised me.

I'm not sure why some are making such a stink over the trust issue. We all want to "get home safely", and, whether we admit it or not, we all judge unknown people out on the street based on our experiences (both first-hand and second-hand). Those unknown people we meet on the street can impact whether we get home with our limbs and our rights intact. I don't expect anyone (LEO or otherwise) who has no history with me to trust me. However, if you meet me on the street, you can act like a gentleman without trusting me... as can I. If you treat me like a human and within the rule of law, I couldn't care less whether you trust me.

YouTube has given us a window into many parts of society that most of us would not typically get to see. We see gang-style beatdowns of unarmed, harmless individuals leaving downtown bars. And we see instances of egregious abuse of authority by some in LE. In both cases, we often see individuals standing behind the criminals in a manner that defies logic and humanity. Yes, we see condemnation, as well; we expect and appreciate that. But when we see support for criminals — whether that support is for a "good grandson that just needs after-school activities", or for a rogue cop that went on a rampage against and violated the rights of an innocent guy — our so-called trust in that community is shaken to its core. It affects how we estimate the likelihood of a threat posed by interaction with individuals in that community.

It's all about risk assessment.

For the LE community specifically, YouTube has helped us understand that there is a huge disparity between how good cops and bad cops act. We have always been exposed to bits of the good stuff, through news, personal interaction, etc. And we've seen "bad cops" on TV shows... but they were mostly fictional. Few of us have seen the really bad cops before now. And now, with video evidence, we can see whether the story was true as reported... or whether it just some gang-banger claiming the cop hurt him as he was fleeing a crime scene.

As with all issues like this, I wonder whether the negative instances are rising, or whether the reporting of them is rising. Or both. It doesn't really matter, because reality is reality. I think the problem we face now (in the relationship betwee LE and the community) is that more of us in the community now see things that turn our stomach on a regular basis. And, yeah, it puts us on the defensive... afraid of meeting that Canton PD POS.

I don't know what the likelihood is of meeting someone like that, but I have to take it into consideration. I'm not going to treat every LEO like he was the Canton officer (whatever his name is). I'll treat him with respect until he doesn't return the favor.

I said "so-called trust" earlier because it's not real trust. Trust typically happens between two individuals with an existing relationship. But between two individuals with no history, there is no true trust. There is only a preconceived notion of how someone might conduct himself based on very limited knowledge.

Saying that I trust cops I've never met would be as much of a generalization as saying I do not.

If a cop sees a trend of violence against LE perpetrated by a certain section of society, I would fully expect him or her to be more cautious in that environment. Trust doesn't enter into it. It's purely a numbers game... just like the stock market... except that it's his life, not just his money, at stake.

I've met cops from this board, and I'm pretty sure the ones I've met aren't going to be on the giving end of an undeserved beatdown. The same applies to the ones I've seen online on INGO, but not met in person. That's great; we need more like you. It's unfortunate that your job will be more difficult after each rogue cop video goes viral. But it will.

However, I think that knowledge is power, and I'm glad that people are recording these interactions. It exposes abuse and helps hold the abusers accountable. All this stuff (the abuses and the viral exposure) isn't going away any time soon. But there are a couple ways that both sides can work to improve the situation:

As others have said, LEOs must make some hard choices to call out and expose the abuses that they witness. I would like to think good cops would do this without the leverage of video evidence. In fact, that's part of my definition of a good cop.

The non-LE community needs to put pressure on the city and LE brass to hold rogue officers and the complicit witnesses accountable. We are doing this by contacting Canton PD, the mayor's office, and even the visitors' bureau. We must also continue to treat individual LEOs with respect and humanity — any one of them might be the one saving our necks the next night.

Personally, though, I have to admit that the situations like we've seen with the Canton PD, and the unforutnate reactions we've seen from annonymous LEOs out there on other forums, have affected me such that my interactions with LEOs will be MUCH more cautious and reserved. I always try to be friendly and courteous, but I'm definitely going to be less inclined to chat or provide any information outside that which is necessary for the encounter.

It's not that I don't trust any individual LEO. But I am the sole keeper of my rights and my safety. It's my responsibility, not yours.

All IMO, of course.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    :( I wonder if the feeling i get after watching that video is the same feeling a Jew had in Nazi f-in Kraut Germany, or Warsaw, Poland. back in the late 1930's. ya it feels the same. :xmad:
    You needn't go back that far. About African Americans in most Southern cities in the 50's and still 60's? Do we see just a little of what kind of hell they had to endure. "You shut your mouth, N***** Boy. Who you think you are? You just N***** trash." Hurts, doesn't it? I'm ashamed to say that my uncle was a county mountie in Southern Indiana in the 50s and he talked about smackin' n*****s with his stick.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    It is odd that the POS's partner was so docile during the event. Maybe he was in his probation period (if that's what it is called in the LE community) and was clueless. If not he should have taken over the lead and told POS to cool it and walk it off. I'll give him a couple minutes to do this because it's a natural reaction to be stunned or shocked when we see something really out of line and it takes a few moments to make a decision and react. No. 2 should have then cooly informed the arrestee that he was under arrest for so and so. If the detainee politely protested No. 2 should have said, "Sir, we need to book you and this will all be reviewed." No. 2 should have then gone to P0S outside the car and said, "Dude, cool off. You're way over the top. Take a deep breath. Let's get this guy taken care of and let it get sorted out later. You can't do this sh** anymore. Understand?"

Another point: There have been page after page of back and forth with "good cop, bad cop" points on this thread. You LEOs on here please answer a couple questions. If you're "good" have you ever clocked a car for speeding and then found out it was another LEO unmarked and apologized for stopping him/her? Have you?? Have you ever stopped a vehicle with the FOP plate or the FOP little thingy attached to the plate and given the person a citation for the reason you stopped them? Huh? Have you? I worked with a woman married to an Evansville PO and she thought it was cute when she was clearly speeding one time and was stopped. LEO apologized for missing the tag until he had her stopped and asked who her husband was. She said they yucked it up a little bit and he told her to just slow down next time. I didn't think it was cute. Your answers please.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    You needn't go back that far. About African Americans in most Southern cities in the 50's and still 60's? Do we see just a little of what kind of hell they had to endure. "You shut your mouth, N***** Boy. Who you think you are? You just N***** trash." Hurts, doesn't it? I'm ashamed to say that my uncle was a county mountie in Southern Indiana in the 50s and he talked about smackin' n*****s with his stick.

I can tell your not like your uncle, it was him an not you, so only be ashamed of him, an not take his shame upon yourself.

zspeed130

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Indy, South side
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ Well stated SirRealism

Bout wraps it up. It is a darn shame to see these incidents on a regular basis. I know most LEO's are just trying to do what they are wired to do (protect and serve) but we are quickly seeing a rise in police state type behavior and laws. I know Urban areas are now hell holes, but this does not excuse this type of behavior toward any SUSPECT (really no criminal either if there is no direct threat).

Most importantly LEO's must realize they cannot protectjerks like this or look the other way. Guys like this have to be weeded out. My assumption is that he has been acting like this for some time and any officers that turn their heads to it (like his pard in the video) are guilty of neglegence on some level and are doing their part to damage the publics trust.

Z

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I can tell your not like your uncle, it was him an not you, so only be ashamed of him, an not take his shame upon yourself.
    Thank you. I'm not at all like him and neither were my parents. I never heard the "N" word at home. In the old days we watched "The Huntley-Brinkley Report" every evening while eating supper (We hillbillys eat "diner" at noon and "supper" at 5PM). It made all of us sick to see blacks being beaten and dogs sicked on them or being knocked off their feet by fire hoses for trying to March in Selma or Birmingham. Sorry to get off-thread.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    if you go to copwatch or cop block just to name a few and do some looking around you will see this is by far not an isolated incident. these things are happening at an alarming rate.

zspeed130

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Indy, South side
    It is sad to be sure. I wonder how much more of this we will see as my generation (age 32) and below are hired to do this kind of work with little to no understanding of the constitution they swear to uphold. I know there are still lots of good ones, but the ones driving around carrying themselves like the guys I stayed away from in highschool are increasing.

Z

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Just because one person is wrong, does not mean the other person is right. That's about the simplest way I can address your assumption.

There is no way that the guy with the gun permit should have been subjected to the abuse that the cop laid on him, but it is quite clear that his actions drew the attention of the cop in the first place. Once again, the cop was wrong, wrong, wrong, in his treatment of the guy, but if you believe that the guy was asking for directions with a pimp and a prostitute in his car in the wee hours of the morning, then I've got some beautiful oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you, at an amazing price. :)

I wasn't speaking about the situation in this video. I was speaking about your reply to the statement that there were individuals here on INGO that have had negative encounters with LEOs when they were NOT doing anything "wrong" at all.

Specifically the conversation was this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roadie
    Since you are fairly new here, I will assume that you haven't seen any of the threads where some of your fellow INGOers, who were doing nothing suspicious or illegal, were stopped, detained, cuffed, disarmed, and verbally abused merely for carrying?

I am not saying this to cop bash, I am saying this to point out the fallacy of your "if you are doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about" implication.

To which you replied:

That simply hasn't been my experience. I've only been stopped for speeding a couple of times, and told the officer I was carrying with an LTCH. Got warnings both times. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I haven't sifted through old threads, but I will when I have time.

-------------

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    If you're "good" have you ever clocked a car for speeding and then found out it was another LEO unmarked and apologized for stopping him/her? Have you?? Have you ever stopped a vehicle with the FOP plate or the FOP little thingy attached to the plate and given the person a citation for the reason you stopped them? Huh? Have you?

I believe the police chalk this up to "discression" :noway:

Pardon me for not reading through the entire thread. I see that the person pulled over is not getting any charges. Any news if the police oficer is being disciplined in any way yet?

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    i was at my cousins house and was talking to his son. the son is active duty. myself and my cousin (both vets) was asking him about obeying ilegal orders. he then explained how him and most of the guys he worked with felt that if they was ordered to do something that they must obey. we tried explaining the difference between lawful and unlawful but it was like talking to a brick wall. he felt any order he was told to do he had to. scary the way these kids look at things.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    i was at my cousins house and was talking to his son. the son is active duty. myself and my cousin (both vets) was asking him about obeying ilegal orders. he then explained how him and most of the guys he worked with felt that if they was ordered to do something that they must obey. we tried explaining the difference between lawful and unlawful but it was like talking to a brick wall. he felt any order he was told to do he had to. scary the way these kids look at things.

Yes, this is a huge problem these days. It's like common sense has been bred or conditioned out of people.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I believe the police chalk this up to "discression" :noway:

Pardon me for not reading through the entire thread. I see that the person pulled over is not getting any charges. Any news if the police oficer is being disciplined in any way yet?
    The guy that was pulled over is still facing charges of not informing and they still have his firearm, as far as I know. Nothing has been done to the cop in the video. He was put on administrative leave and then took sick leave, so he's getting a paid vacation.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Do you believe that cops believe that every person that they stop for any reason is automatically viewed by the cop as having the potential to murder him? It's a simple yes or no question.

You had better know it. If not they have absolutely no business in this occupation. That doesn't mean your treat all persons like a murderer but you better be having a plan B.

Now I know some on here will twist this around to fit their anti LEO agenda but it is what it is.:twocents:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    How so? If he's new, especially if he's with Harless as his FTO, wouldn't he be able to fall back on, "I was following the lead of my FTO in what he said was the way the law was supposed to operate. I didn't know better or different then, but I do now."?

(To be clear, I'm most definitely not saying he could get away with "I was just following orders.", but that the statement Harless made, to the effect that a CCW holder is supposed to notify first thing in OH is in keeping with their law. That Harless overrode him and made it impossible for him to do so is not addressed in this.)

I also think it would be poetic justice if the driver didn't even get a misdemeanor and that Harless got the felony he promised the driver.

Blessings,
    Bill

No I don't think he would be able to use he was following his FTO's lead to keep from being charged. But if he is in fact in FTO to would surely be taken in consideration. I don't know if the guy was in FTO. I only watched the video once (It was enough too) but the one other officer seemed like he was more following the others lead. Maybe not though.

And FWIW after watching the video again just now the driver did have the time and opportunity to make his notification. It appears that he may be a polite type of guy and did not want to interrupt the officer. But he had plenty of chances IMO. I don't know or care what Ohio's law state on the subject. As for the traffic stop it was a 100% justified stop. The video does not show the time but the people were defiantly in need of being checked out. The lead officer showed some pretty pathetic behavior for whatever reason.

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

Training from the 80's must of changed, because I was taught the difference when I was in.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Thank you. I'm not at all like him and neither were my parents. I never heard the "N" word at home. In the old days we watched "The Huntley-Brinkley Report" every evening while eating supper (We hillbillys eat "diner" at noon and "supper" at 5PM). It made all of us sick to see blacks being beaten and dogs sicked on them or being knocked off their feet by fire hoses for trying to March in Selma or Birmingham. Sorry to get off-thread.

Its always been supper time in the evening...who doesn't know this?....lol. I heard plenty of racial stuff growing up....then in the Army met "black" guys....got lots of stories on that. When I got out I somehow managed attending a church with a "black" pastor for 9 yrs. After 3 yrs attending my mom came an visited an was floored!!! "Why didn't you ever tell me your pastor was "black"?"......"I didn't know I was suppose too mom?"...whats the big deal?????

Don't mean to thread jack here guys.....just had a story....lol

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Its always been supper time in the evening...who doesn't know this?....lol. I heard plenty of racial stuff growing up....then in the Army met "black" guys....got lots of stories on that. When I got out I somehow managed attending a church with a "black" pastor for 9 yrs. After 3 yrs attending my mom came an visited an was floored!!! "Why didn't you ever tell me your pastor was "black"?"......"I didn't know I was suppose too mom?"...whats the big deal?????

Don't mean to thread jack here guys.....just had a story....lol
    One more quick off-thread: Our son came home from Kindergarten and talked about his best friend, Nicky. A month or so later we met her and her family at a PTA meeting. They were black!!! Our son never mentioned that! Just that she was his best friend. What's this world coming to?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    You had better know it. If not they have absolutely no business in this occupation. That doesn't mean your treat all persons like a murderer but you better be having a plan B.

Now I know some on here will twist this around to fit their anti LEO agenda but it is what it is.:twocents:

I don't think anyone's trying to twist your words. People are just trying to point out the disconnect between certain LEO's attitudes on INGO that cops figure on every stop being the potential to be dangerous and being hurt that a civilian would assume the same with a police encounter.

Both LEO's and civilian's should treat one another with courtesy and respect, and they should both watch their own backs. Sad to say, that's just the way it is these days.

Top Bottom