• ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Why don't you be helpful and post links, info? :yesway:
    Ha, ha, ha. Good one. :laugh: When I was in college the engineering nerds wore slide rules in belt scabbards, we had transistor radios that were as big as a brick and you could actually change your own spark plugs. Me post a link! I can barely remember how to open my lap top without hurting myself. I got on "Ohioans for Concealed Carry" and just followed a bunch of threads they had.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    FYI: You can still rep someone who has disabled it... that just means they aren't showing their badges and pips.

Also... Everyone is talking about retraining that officers need. I'm trying to not be the pessimist that thinks the retraining will amount to, "If you're going to knock heads on these wannabe cowboys, for God's sake, don't do it on camera!"

I really hope I'm wrong.

Blessings,
    Bill

Here's my idea of the kind of retraining he needs:

"This is the fryer area, and this is the grill area, and the cleaning supplies are in the back, and here is your apron and here is your little white hat and remember, the customer is always right."

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Here's my idea of the kind of retraining he needs:

"This is the fryer area, and this is the grill area, and the cleaning supplies are in the back, and here is your apron and here is your little white hat and remember, the customer is always right."

Or

"Here's your orange jumpsuit, here's your trashbag, here's the side of the highway. Don't make any sudden moves because I've got the shotgun."

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Where are all these generalizations? I haven't seen any.

If I could count on the good cops putting a stop the abuse I might not be so cautious, but again, the evidence is clear that the other cops on the scene ARE GOING TO STAND BACK AND LET THE BAD COP DO HIS THING. And, the evidence shows that many times they're going to lie and say I resisted or caused the whole thing.

No generalizations.

I'll take generalizations for $1000, Alex. I would like to see this clear evidence that other cops turn their blind eye.

Do not take this as support for the CPD Officer. He crosssed the line both morally and professionally and should be punished accordingly. The things that the driver did illegally give no reason for the actions of the Officer. I understand why the Officer was edgey, but he was vetted and trained to be calm and professional in a situation like that one. He took the "to be in control of the situation" training, pissed on it and threw it away. He lost it.

On tape, his partner does not condemn the actions or tell him to stop. He will be held accountable also, or at least should be held accountable. We do not know what his report states.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'll take generalizations for $1000, Alex. I would like to see this clear evidence that other cops turn their blind eye.

According to the victim's lawyer, the prosecuting attorney offered to drop the charges in exchange for agreement not to sue and a suppression of the video. That's called "extortion". There is no possible way that the attorney made that offer without the knowledge of the Chief. There's your blind eye. If the video hadn't been released, there would have been 17 IA investigations and this guy would still be on the street offering to murder drivers.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009

Do not take this as support for the CPD Officer. He crosssed the line both morally and professionally and should be punished accordingly. The things that the driver did illegally give no reason for the actions of the Officer. I understand why the Officer was edgey, but he was vetted and trained to be calm and professional in a situation like that one. He took the "to be in control of the situation" training, pissed on it and threw it away. He lost it.

On tape, his partner does not condemn the actions or tell him to stop. He will be held accountable also, or at least should be held accountable. We do not know what his report states.

With all due respect, think about this. The guy wasn't even put on leave till the ****storm hit. The whole dept was going to let it slide and tried to buy off the citizen to keep him quiet.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Apparently, I'm not allowed to be offended that a cop has threatened to execute a driver who had the nerve to be legally carrying a handgun. A driver who, by definition, had no criminal background (since he had been issued his CCW permit only a month prior). I'm not allowed to have my faith in the police shaken as a result. I am required to remain true to my belief that I can trust all cops everywhere at all times and to publicly state so at every conceivable opportunity.

I'm being widely accused, both publicly and privately, of making the same sweeping anti-cop generalizations that I have spent the better part of three years (and gallons of blood, sweat, and tears) trying to put a stop to. I'm making a public call for ANYONE to find where I have made an anti-cop generalization of my own. If you can find one, I will publicly retract the statement and apologize for it. No backpedaling, no trying to spin it. I will own the comment and apologize. I don't think you'll find one that you can honestly claim is a "broad generalization that all cops are bad". At MOST you'll be able to find ones where I've said "I have to assume they're bad for my own safety", which is not anywhere near like the same thing.

No one? Surely they're out there. I've been raked over the coals enough that I MUST have said SOMETHING. :dunno:

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    According to the victim's lawyer, the prosecuting attorney offered to drop the charges in exchange for agreement not to sue and a suppression of the video. That's called "extortion". There is no possible way that the attorney made that offer without the knowledge of the Chief. There's your blind eye. If the video hadn't been released, there would have been 17 IA investigations and this guy would still be on the street offering to murder drivers.

FWIW.........plea deals and charges being dropped happen normally (at least in both of the jurisdictions I have worked in) without the officers let alone the Chiefs knowledge.

:twocents:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

^^^THIS^^^ :yesway:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    With all due respect, think about this. The guy wasn't even put on leave till the ****storm hit. The whole dept was going to let it slide and tried to buy off the citizen to keep him quiet.

Actually, from what I understand, he was put on paid leave pending investigation almost immediately, which is entirely appropriate. His paid leave became paid sick time when the video went public.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Actually, from what I understand, he was put on paid leave pending investigation almost immediately, which is entirely appropriate. His paid leave became paid sick time when the video went public.
    Thanks for clearing that up.
    The fact that he wasn't immediately canned says volumes.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    Just to level the field and show you that I get it from both sides, I'm now taking crap from at least two cops, both of which have now claimed that they've quit the board as a result of me publicly condemning that criminal officer.
    Welcome to the cop bashing club, your membership card and beanie are in the mail.

Actually, I don't see your attitude as inappropriate, generalizing or cop-bashing at all. I mean... it's an admission that there are bad guys in the ranks, that they're indistinguishable from the good guys and so one has to be suspicious and careful.
    Too bad some individuals immediately start shrieking omg you cop basher there are no bad guys because they are cops don't you understannnnnnnd

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia

We do not know that for a fact. I say there are still a lot of good cops out there and they would not stand for that. It gets around in departements and people deal with it - I have seen first hand.

You would also be surpised what is done in the prosecutor's office without the Chief's knowledge or consent.

Maybe I am missing your point - I am speaking more in generalizations that about this CPD incident.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

As I pointed out upthread, there were three highly publicized instances in my state of Colorado where they did more than turn a blind eye, they lied.

It defies logic that a) that's the first time this cop has acted like that, and b)that no other officers ever saw that behavior. But if you like, it is quite easy to find lots and lots of evidence of police looking the other way.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    FWIW.........plea deals and charges being dropped happen normally (at least in both of the jurisdictions I have worked in) without the officers let alone the Chiefs knowledge.

:twocents:

So you're telling me that the prosecutor said "Hey, if you promise not to sue us, we'll promise not to throw you in jail on a trumped-up charge!" and never once discussed with the Chief, IA, or any other officer anything about why the victim might be in a position to sue? This wasn't a plea bargain where the victim was asking for a lighter charge in exchange for giving up one of his buddies. I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying that.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Dross, I'd rep you again if it would let me. So, so true.

Answer me this; when was the last time you read a news story of a "good" cop who turned in a "bad" cop for this type of behavior? I personally never have. Ever.

All of you "good" cops reading this; have you ever had a "bad" cop turned in by one of your own? Ever?

I'm pretty tired of hearing of the "few" bad apples. Seems to me, based on the brazenness of these incidents and the reactions from police officers on officer.com and the other cop web sites defending this guy, that the "few" are the good cops and the majority are like our YouTube hero. Why else would the few good cops be afraid to speak out to stop this stuff when it happens?

Remember, the Canton PD saw this video and did nothing (except to try to make a deal to drop charges if the victim wouldnt sue). It wasnt until AFTER the video went public that they took action to put the "officer" on paid vacation. Bad cops rule most departments. Prove me wrong.

I'm not a cop, but yes, I HAVE seen them turned in by their own. I know at least two LEOs who were removed from duty and later fired... One was OWI after leaving the FOP bar. The other was abusing narcotics. Both were arrested by members of their own department. I am unaware if either was doing anything wrong while on duty.

WARNING!!! Brothers and sister, you still need to be very careful of how you carry in a vehicle in Ohio. Google up something like "Ohio governor signs new gun laws" and you'll see that there are still some very detailed steps you have to take. The new law that cleans up most of that doesn't take effect until sometime in September. I CAN'T EMPHASIS ENOUGH THAT YOU BETTER READ IT!!

Seems to me it's very simple. If I ever go driving in Ohio or any other state with that ridiculous "must inform promptly" requirement, I'm going to be prepared with something to put in my driver window prior to the officer's approach:

armedsign.png

Blessings,
    Bill

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    If this had happened in Evansville I think I would be planning a mass drive-in up MLK boulevard past police hq with signs in everyone's car/truck window with the "officer's" name on a placard. The chief and Safety Board should have heavy heat applied to them continuously until the matter is resolved. I wonder if anyone in the Canton area is planning something similar.

I also believe the dash cam video ought to be required training in all LE academies and shown as a continuing ed item in all departments. I would think there are enough good officers that they would be disgusted by what they saw. I think they should also have it pointed out to them that the partner is just as culpable as the offender. Remember, get-away drivers are charged with the same capital murder charge as the bank robber who kills someone inside. Some years ago a driver was executed for murder because of just such an event.

Top Bottom