• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    and how many times have we heard from cops on here that its a good idea to tell them you are carrying? doesnt look like it turned out well for this guy when they found out he had a firearm. always follow the 3 easy steps of kirk freeman dont inform,dont talk, and blow kisses. unless your in ohio then skip step one.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    To be fair there are more police officers posting PoliceOne now that disagree with what that officer did.

But there are still PLENTY apologizing for the officer. I reiterate my point: If I can't tell which ones are going to go psycho on me because I'm carrying a gun (or for any reason whatsoever), how can I do anything other than treat ALL of them as potential threats to my life? I don't want to find out AFTER he's taken two steps back and put ten bullets in me. My trust in the police has been completely destroyed. My trust in the system that is supposed to remove officers like this has been completely destroyed, after seeing the Chief and the Prosecutor try to extort the driver into suppressing the evidence. My trust in his fellow officers has been completely destroyed by watching them line up to circle the wagons and start telling everyone that he was probably just having a bad day.

You're asking us to be fair. Who's being fair to US?!?! NO ONE! THERE IS NO ONE LEFT LOOKING OUT FOR OUR BEST INTERESTS. Do you not understand that? The people charged with protecting us consider us AT BEST to be criminals who just haven't been caught yet.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    We live in a mixed up country, where law abiding gun owners are treated like criminals, and in places like San Fran, criminals are in the process of being made a "protected class".

When did I step into an alternate universe?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    But there are still PLENTY apologizing for the officer. I reiterate my point: If I can't tell which ones are going to go psycho on me because I'm carrying a gun (or for any reason whatsoever), how can I do anything other than treat ALL of them as potential threats to my life? I don't want to find out AFTER he's taken two steps back and put ten bullets in me. My trust in the police has been completely destroyed. My trust in the system that is supposed to remove officers like this has been completely destroyed, after seeing the Chief and the Prosecutor try to extort the driver into suppressing the evidence. My trust in his fellow officers has been completely destroyed by watching them line up to circle the wagons and start telling everyone that he was probably just having a bad day.

You're asking us to be fair. Who's being fair to US?!?! NO ONE! THERE IS NO ONE LEFT LOOKING OUT FOR OUR BEST INTERESTS. Do you not understand that? The people charged with protecting us consider us AT BEST to be criminals who just haven't been caught yet.

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

This. Ever so much, this. :yesway::yesway::yesway:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Wow. I've never seen this side of you, Scutter. I'm impressed. I'd rep you if you hadn't disabled it.

Here's what it boils down to, to me. The cops have refused to clean their own house, so now it's dash cams and cell phones and Youtube that will see it gets done.

Imagine what was going on when there was no video record if these guys will do these things knowing they can be recorded. I can't even imagine what was happening when they KNEW it was their word against whoever's butt they wanted to whoop.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009

this is only one of several just recently. a woodcarver in seattle, a marine in tuscon, bissard. the thin blue line is working hard these days.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Whether the victim failed to inform in a timely fashion or not shouldn't even matter. Why should a citizen be treated this way just because they possess a firearm???

I was stopped recently for speeding. I had my pistol in the glove box. I wasn't sure how long it would take for me to find my registration so I waited for the officer to get to the window. When he asked for my registration I told him my pistol was in the glove box with my registration and that the pistol was loaded and holstered......Now what do you think the officer did??????

?
    ?

?

He tells me to go ahead and open the glove box, put my pistol on the dash and get my registration. After I handed it to him he says to go ahead and put my pistol back in the glove box and close it. He then goes back to his car.

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    I live in Indiana, but I have to travel into Ohio once a week for school. I have a gun in the glove compartment while I am there. When I go to Ohio to visit my daughter and granddaughters I have one on my person. Believe me when I say if I get pulled over I am going to keep my hands on the steering wheel and tell him I have a gun as soon as I have the chance.

The dialog may go something like this:

Deputy: I'm Deputy Jones with the Darke County Sheriffs Department. Do you know why I pulled you over, sir?
    Me: Because you want to threaten me with bodily harm because I have a gun?
    Officer: You have a gun? Why I ought to pound you...

No. This will be it for real....
    Deputy: I'm Deputy Jones with the Darke County Sheriffs Department. Do you know why I pulled you over, sir?
    Me: I have license to carry a firearm and there is a gun in the car.
    Deputy: Thanks for advising me. We are going to get along so good now that you told me that. I'm starting to really like you, sir? I'm sorry to see that ring on your finger, because my sister is looking for a nice man to settle down with.
    Me: That's the brakes, Deputy.
    Deputy: Hey. I won't give you a ticket since you were so nice. I see that your vehicle has Indiana plates. You must have been on the road for a while.
    Me: Probably about 45 minutes.
    Deputy: You must be tense for all that driving. Do you want me to rub you shoulders for you?
    Me: No thanks, Deputy Jones. The ring says it all.
    Deputy: Well, ok. Drive safely.

Maybe someone can verify for sure, but according to an iphone app my friend has that is a current reference on carry laws by state, Ohio doesn't honor our permits. Meaning, you tell him you have one, hand him your indiana permit and say you're wearing it and Ohio is your destination, prepare to wear cuffs. I passed through Ohio a couple of years ago coming back from Knoxville, and as I understand the law, you must be passing THROUGH the state, and have the weapon inaccessible, so I put it in the trunk with the slide off. Illinois is even more totalitarian about it, I did the same thing there, but it seems like I later checked into it and probably shouldn't have even taken it into the state.

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Maybe someone can verify for sure, but according to an iphone app my friend has that is a current reference on carry laws by state, Ohio doesn't honor our permits. Meaning, you tell him you have one, hand him your indiana permit and say you're wearing it and Ohio is your destination, prepare to wear cuffs. I passed through Ohio a couple of years ago coming back from Knoxville, and as I understand the law, you must be passing THROUGH the state, and have the weapon inaccessible, so I put it in the trunk with the slide off. Illinois is even more totalitarian about it, I did the same thing there, but it seems like I later checked into it and probably shouldn't have even taken it into the state.

Nope, Illinois isn't. Common misconception. As long as it is unloaded, encased and inaccessible, you are good to go in Illinois. Loaded mags in the case with the gun even.

The guy might've had a Utah or FL permit. Both recognized by Ohio. I have a UT.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    ... Now what do you think the officer did??????

He tells me to go ahead and open the glove box, put my pistol on the dash and get my registration. After I handed it to him he says to go ahead and put my pistol back in the glove box and close it. He then goes back to his car.
    This would be typical for many officers, but unfortunately not for all.

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona

The Indiana LTCH is NOT honored in Ohio... Arizona, Florida and Utah non-resident permits are ok.

Last edited:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    ! Slight Tangent Alert !

I am beginning to think it is Ohioans in general.

I got into a discussion on Topix with a rather irate Ohioan about their new guns in bars laws. He ranted and raved that Ohio didnt honor ANY other State's License, and in fact, each Ohio county issues their OWN Carry Permit, only good for THAT county :n00b:

:facepalm:

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    ! Slight Tangent Alert !

I am beginning to think it is Ohioans in general.

I got into a discussion on Topix with a rather irate Ohioan about their new guns in bars laws. He ranted and raved that Ohio didnt honor ANY other State's License, and in fact, each Ohio county issues their OWN Carry Permit, only good for THAT county :n00b:

:facepalm:
    You sure you weren't in Gander Mountain?

Link?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    You sure you weren't in Gander Mountain?

Link?

ROFL!

It's been a while back, I will see if I can dig up the link..

There are about 20 "Guns In Bars in Ohio" threads on topix, and all of them are just what you would expect. Blood in the streets, "the Wild West", dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria..

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County

Wow. I've never seen this side of you, Scutter. I'm impressed. I'd rep you if you hadn't disabled it.

And I would be right behind you doing the same. :yesway:

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    So now this video is popping up all over the place. A stark contrast to the Ohio cop.

I don't know the firearm laws where this was filmed but this LEO handled himself very well. Kudos!

One good cop. [VIDEO]

He mentioned Oceanside, likely CA. Judging by the officer's accent ("code foah", "requiahed", etc.), likely a NY/New England transplant. No kudos. He was only less obnoxious than the Ohio cop. He didn't even know how to unload the pistol, which was not loaded anyway. Why ask, if you're going to take it, check and unload anyway. And the thinly veiled smart-assed comments are not necessary.

Events like those shown and posted about are made possible when the right to bear arms - that means to carry on or about your person, BTW, - including your own personal sidearm, is criminalized by statute into at the least a misdemeanor, if not a felony. It all starts with the codification of a statute requiring a license/permit to bear arms. If you have to apply for permission, you do not have a right. Thus a specifically enumerated, fundamental right is turned into a privilege. That's where the line is crossed. Once signed into law, we are left with haggling over how far the State or its officers can go in piling on additional requirements and restrictions, such as "duty to inform", "can't carry it loaded", etc.

Based on posts and conversations, many gun owners in Indiana seem smug and complacent because they don't feel too inconvenienced, and there are other states with more ridiculous and humiliating statutory requirements that they (IN) can make fun of while ignoring the pink permission slip they carry around as some sort of "good guy card".

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana

True enough for Indiana LTCF. I have Florida licence too and it is honored in Ohio. Good call so those that are unsure of the limits of the Indiana license.

Top Bottom