• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Having said that, I think an interesting thought is that my first reaction during the video was that I would have immediately wanted to run and help the cop. The "what if" would be, say you get there to help about the same time the cop pulls his sidearm and you catch a round.
    i was thinking the same thing. At first when the incident looked "neutral", I probably would have waited. But when the officer was in trouble, I MIGHT have stepped in to help, but as you see, it didn't take long for the confrontation to turn deadly.
    Easy to play hypotheticals, but I will never know what I really would do in a situation like that until it happens.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Not only was the officer trying to subdue the guy, he also had to worry about the douche with the camera and woman who was asking "what did he do" and "I have to intervene." It could have easily became three against one officer. I feel the officer was doing the best he could do with no back up or help.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Did the officer say to the whiny couple "Does it look like I could use help here?" or something to that effect, at about 54 seconds into it?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Did the officer say to the whiny couple "Does it look like I could use help here?" or something to that effect, at about 54 seconds into it?

Yeah but they were too busy worrying about "aggressive stances" and "what did he do" and trying to focus their video for youtube. Reality bites! Once he rolled over on top of the cop and started punching him it was all bets off! Sucks for his new bride but glad the cop went home to his. Of course a couple of years down the road it could have been the new bride getting her brains beat out.

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    The spectators from the Kumbayah family wedding reception party didn't want to see anybody get hurt, judging by how they quickly went from ACLU "Don't brutalize our drunk buddy, he didn't do anything." mode to "Hey, drunk buddy.....don't hit the popo multiple times." mode. Unfortunately, they failed to incorporate the buddy system into their party plans waaaaay earlier in the evening and allowed one of their own to put themselves into the position we see in the video. The last time, which was also the first time, I was involved with a LEO while out in public with a .25 BAC, I let him take me to jail, peacefully, where I had a sleepover with a bunch of equally-hammered people from all over the community. The next day, I posted some bail and a couple of days later appeared in court. Back then, cell phones featured a shoulder strap to enable the user to carry the 6-pack sized battery and didn't include a camera. Glad the good guy made it to the ER before eventually going home to his family.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    Yes, but it sounded like a sarcastic way of saying, "go the eff away". In addition, it was that comment and brief distraction that allowed the other guy a chance to overtake the cop

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Yes, but it sounded like a sarcastic way of saying, "go the eff away". In addition, it was that comment and brief distraction that allowed the other guy a chance to overtake the cop

I bet the guy was a wrestler at some point in his life, just by the way he used the overarm and rolled the officer. There is definitely some items to be learned from this video from all sides: spectators, officer, and the guy that wound up dead. Sad story, but after reading how the guy just fought a taxi driver as well, he was looking for trouble.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    If you were actually going to run up and help the cop, you should probably be repeatedly asking if he wants your assistance, because I can't imagine in most cases a cop would want another person coming up on "his scene."

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I hope the LEO checks out a Taser to carry from now on. As soon as the drunk starts to resist, ready, aim, ZAP !!

Taser doesn't work that well when you are that close, the probes won't have time to spread. If someone's on you, its a poor tool, and as fast as that went I think the only option other than firearm would be an edged weapon.

Scary stuff. We had a IMPD cop in a very similar circumstance and was knocked out briefly. When he came too the guy was trying to get his gun out of the retention holster but couldn't figure it out. That retention holster saved the officer's life, he was able to roll and trap the gun until he could maneuver, draw, and fire.

As far as the camera people, they are just yuppies with no idea of what goes on in the world around them. Everything is puppies and rainbows. Violence just doesn't enter into their world view, and the fact they are distracting someone in what could quickly become a life and death struggle doesn't even occur to them. It sounded to me like the cop said "does it look like I have help here", meaning he's on his own, which means sometimes you have to use more force than you would if you had help. Its a lot easier for two people to control one than it is one on one. Even someone who isn't as strong as you, its tough to hold BOTH their hands while you reach for cuffs, etc.

Top Bottom