• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    That was the hostage, that person just had a head explode 1ft from theirs, I am guessing the blood and brain splatter along with the stress of the situation is why they punch the trunk a few times and act a little crazy...

Hmmm I thought it was another person...I guess the quality was just too bad for me to tell what was going on.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Can't even begin to imagine what it is like to be that Officer. The backdrop was a very busy Highway, wow, just wow. Even with it ending as it did, prayers for the officer and the hostage, well all involved.

I think that the rifleman had a restaurant wall as a backdrop -- the camera angle is more similar to what the officer wit the handgun was seeing. But the officer with the RIFLE took the shot, and I believe he had an ok background (not ideal, but not the traffic either)

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I think that the rifleman had a restaurant wall as a backdrop -- the camera angle is more similar to what the officer wit the handgun was seeing. But the officer with the RIFLE took the shot, and I believe he had an ok background (not ideal, but not the traffic either)

Yes, this. There's an overhead view at this article Robbery suspect shot dead by Irving police - Story | KDFW that shows the rifle cop had a blank wall for a backdrop.

cash%20store_1454100340186_780542_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Generally, if a hostage taker is presenting a lethal threat to a citizen or police officer, the officer can take action. The marksmanship is not too taxing, however, the potential ramifications of a "miss" are great. One must have confidence in their ability, and also their equipment.

Kudos the marksmanship here. I would also agree, this hostage taker did not avail himself of any potential cover, nor really used the hostage as a "shield" as it was. If he did, he would have not been shot so quickly.

The officers deserve a medal and a parade. They took a life to protect one. No one, but no one wants to make that choice. They/he/she did, without hesitation.

bigo334

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Greenfield
    I think when they say that the hostage was pushed into the car they didn't mean the interior of the car, but pushed into the body of the car.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I haven't read through it all. I expect comments about traffic beyond the thug/backstop.
    Though I am impressed with their marksmanship. I'd have much preferred to be behind the car with rifle resting on the rooftop.
    Kudos to the officer rocking the bangswitch. balls to the wall on that one (given the hostage proximity). <-- keyboard commando not being there and all aside.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    X
    Thanks, couldn't tell from the video

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    There is risk involved anytime a bullet is being sent at another human's head, made 10-fold worse by the proximity of the hostage's vitals.

That being said, the shot made in the video does not appear to have been of particular challenge to an officer trained for it with appropriate equipment. For anybody to sit on the internet and Monday-morning-QB the thing when you can't know what the sight picture looked like, or the skill level of the shooter is to make yourself look like an imbecile. I remember a discussion or two in my kid-hood with one of the adults about how close it appeared I'd be aiming to vehicles and other things while trimming the population of various invasive animals...at the end of it, I eventually just plainly said that A) "You cannot see the sights, so you can't know where the bullet will impact.", and (B) "If I hit something, isn't it me that will have to pay the price?"

From here, all you can say is:

"While perhaps unfortunate that it had to occur, that looked like a good shooting."

-Nate

Top Bottom