• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Things that I have come to learn about the VEPR 12:

You will notice that if you put anything in the front section of the dust cover rail, it seems to feed less reliably.

I have also seen a friend's VEPR 12 that did not cycle nearly as reliably as mine out of the box, and after looking his over and making a slight modification that greatly improved his action, I believe both issues are related to the same thing...

If your VEPR 12 is one of the few that seems to have issues cycling, I would inspect the bolt carrier for wear. Note that if the top of the bolt carrier shows signs of wear, also inspect the FRONT RIVET HOLDING THE DUST COVER RAIL. Nothing should actually be coming in contact with the dust cover rivets, so if it is not the factory black, it is being contacted (most likely by the bolt carrier). On my buddy's VEPR 12, the top of his bolt carrier and the front rail rivet both showed signs of wear from where the parts were contacting. I simply used a dremel and removed some material from the front rivet inside the dust cover, and his seemed to start cycling as intended.

Also, it is rumored that some of the original SMG magazines did not have high enough tension on the springs, which is why early SMG magazines may not reliably function the bolt hold open.

So, mount your optics to the rear of the dust cover rail (or more forward with a sight replcaement/handguard rail), if the front rail rivet/bolt carrier shows signs of contact remove some material, use good magazines with 1200FPS or greater rounds, and I would expect that alone to get your VEPR 12 to cycle how it should.

I did not get unlucky, and mine has cycled whatever I throw at it >=1200FPS out of the box. I added a JTE performance guide rod, and while it does slightly feel smoother, I think all one really must do to get it to cycle as intended is ensure that nothing is catching as the bolt carrier moves rearward.

I have yet to see one that had any greater cycling issues than this, IE: gas ports had to be modified like is common for Saiga variants.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Just a heads up.

post-43198-0-52350600-1412281671_thumb.jpg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    For those who may be looking, Legion USA has factory Molot 10 and 8rd VEPR-12 mags back in stock.

https://www.legionusa.com/ak47-ak-saiga-vepr-parts-accessories-rifle-shotgun/magazines.html

Anyone who has dealt with Legion USA can you tell me how long they usually take to ship an order? I followed this link that Shooter521 posted and placed an order for 2 8rnd Vepr 12 mags on Tuesday after putting a Vepr 12 on hold at Bradis on Monday (Thanks again guys! Bradis crew rocks). My order shows processed but I have not received a shipment notice yet. Is this typical for them? Its my first dealings with them.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Anyone who has dealt with Legion USA can you tell me how long they usually take to ship an order? I followed this link that Shooter521 posted and placed an order for 2 8rnd Vepr 12 mags on Tuesday after putting a Vepr 12 on hold at Bradis on Monday (Thanks again guys! Bradis crew rocks). My order shows processed but I have not received a shipment notice yet. Is this typical for them? Its my first dealings with them.

Usually within 24 hours in my past dealings with them. Sometimes though, maybe a few days. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

FYI for anyone thinking about ordering from them: Use coupon code "Halloween" for $20 off an order of $150 or more. Ends today.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Usually within 24 hours in my past dealings with them. Sometimes though, maybe a few days. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

FYI for anyone thinking about ordering from them: Use coupon code "Halloween" for $20 off an order of $150 or more. Ends today.

Thanks. I checked my email this morning and I got the shipment notification sometime yesterday, so 3 business days. Not to bad for a first order on a new account. I did see a few other things I wanted so I may have to see if I can put the coupon code to use.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    sweet! thats awefully nice of them to pull the extra mag out of every box and then sell them for $45! How super considerate of them.

I remember buying a few of these for $20 a pop and though that was high! ;)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    sweet! thats awefully nice of them to pull the extra mag out of every box and then sell them for $45! How super considerate of them.

I remember buying a few of these for $20 a pop and though that was high! ;)

Do you have a lead on where they can be purchased for less? When I got my Vepr 12 it only came with one 5 rnd mag. Which I thought was odd since it seemed the norm was 2 per shotgun. But I watched them open the box and sure enough only 1.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Im shocked to see new veprs for sale at Atlantic and Classic for 999. I would have thought that they would have sold out much faster and for a lot more money with the ban looming over future sales

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    looming? the ban is in effect. Anything you see for sale now was likely already paid for, OR sitting somewhere in the US when the import ban went into effect. Right now there is a finite number of available Veprs out there, and they will dry up.

I'm surprised as well they are selling listed for that price.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    No, with the import ban in place you won't find them many places and probably not any cheaper.

That is what I was afraid of. And after a couple hours scouring the Internet I can't even find another source that has the 5 round mags in stock. So I ordered 1 and they charged $15.00 for shipping! So the damn mag ended up costing almost $60.00.

Anyone else who wants a spare 5 rnd mag this is a heads up. Buy at least two at a time otherwise the shipping cost is not worth it.

Top Bottom