• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Is the concrete ceiling of the room supported by any columns or just by the walls of the room? I was curious about the weight of the concrete being a problem if it wasn't supported but with its strength it probably is fine.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Is the concrete ceiling of the room supported by any columns or just by the walls of the room? I was curious about the weight of the concrete being a problem if it wasn't supported but with its strength it probably is fine.
    If the concrete is reinforced it should be fine. My house has a full basement with a reinforced concrete ceiling and dividing wall down the center, the house was built in 1942 and its still standing.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    After looking at that second set of pictures, I felt like I chugged a gallon of this stuff.

41XRc4q4KGL._SL500_.jpg

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Yes, it would kind of defeat the purpose if they put a 2'x3' duct opening in the wall. But I figure if the criminal was smart enough to figure out to go in through the duct, they'd be able to get in anyway. It would just take a jackhammer or a cutting torch.:D

You can literally break into most houses today with a utility knife.

That interior wall the vault door is on, is it a poured wall or block, and if block is there a hardened filler inside it?

Was wondering because if it is block only it can be defeated rather easy.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    No, this is solid concrete. It uses these foam blocks for the walls. ICF Products

They are made up of 2.5" of styrofoam on both sides with plastic ties inbetween. The wall is 6" thick.

The floor is made up of litedeck foam forms. About Lite-Deck ICF Floor, Roof, Deck and Walls! They used a 2" hat on the forms so the beams are 8" tall. There are no columns anywhere in the room. The room is about 26' x 22' for a total of 585 sf.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Absolutely Awesome!

Is it gonna have a toilet in it??? cause I think that's about every thing I've ever wanted for a gun room!:bow:

No, but there will be a bathroom right outside the room. :D It's plumbed for a toilet, sink and a stand up shower. I plan to make the center room into a home theater/entertainment room when I have company or family dinners. The room on the other side is going to be utility/storage.

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    Okay 1st i must second this motion.....:bow::bow:

Secondly Congrats :chest: That looks like it is going to be an amazing room!!

And finally we come to :crying:. I am def green with envy.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Thought I'd give a little update on this. I just hung 9 - 4' flourescents in it today. The drywall has been up for some time. I've got a guy who's supposed to give me an estimate on finishing it. I want to get it finished before I move in so I don't have to drag everything back out of it when it gets finished in the future.

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

mgderf is putting in my hardwood now. Here's an upstairs shot of my great room and foyer.

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    :yesway: You sir have successfully created an epidemic of INGO jealousy and envy! :D I'm assuming you've been silent regarding your perimeter defenses so as to maintain your advantage when the SHTF. It's great to see dreams coming true. I plan to build my dream home someday. I'll probably stick to a single level with no basement though because I can already tell that my knees and back are going to be a problem when I get older.

:+1:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    :yesway: You sir have successfully created an epidemic of INGO jealousy and envy! :D I'm assuming you've been silent regarding your perimeter defenses so as to maintain your advantage when the SHTF. It's great to see dreams coming true. I plan to build my dream home someday. I'll probably stick to a single level with no basement though because I can already tell that my knees and back are going to be a problem when I get older.

:+1:

We made sure to have a plan where the master bedroom was on the first floor. We also made every door possible 36" wide. That way we can run around on our little rascals when we get to be old fogies. My plan is to live here til I die.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Are you going to build something over the vault door to hide it, like a book shelf with hinges.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do for sure. Thought about the bookshelf route. I also thought about putting up a small closet to cover it but that will eat up a lot of space.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I haven't decided what I'm going to do for sure. Thought about the bookshelf route. I also thought about putting up a small closet to cover it but that will eat up a lot of space.

Here's what you just have to do! You need to have a bust of Chuck Norris sitting on a table. When you tilt Chuck's head back, there will be a red button inside. When you push the red button, the shelf will move exposing the door! Kind of like the INGO version of the "Batcave"! :D

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    How are you going to regulate humidity, looked into building an icf home 5yrs ago some were intalling fresh air exchangers with dehumidifers built in.

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    Here's what you just have to do! You need to have a bust of Chuck Norris sitting on a table. When you tilt Chuck's head back, there will be a red button inside. When you push the red button, the shelf will move exposing the door! Kind of like the INGO version of the "Batcave"! :D

He could have done without the vault door just by putting a sign on the door that says "whatever you do, don't let Chuck Norris out of this room"

Top Bottom