• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I figure this room is costing me less than $10k. It is going in a basement and 3 of the walls already exist in the plan. At a minimum, the 4th wall would have to be a 2x6 loadbearing stud wall for the floor trusses. So I have the difference in cost there which I don't think would be more than $2k. The concrete celing costs about $7 per sf more so just over $4100. But I save $2+ per sf not having to put down tile backer above it for the kitchen so the ceiling is an extra $3k. Then I have $1700 in the door. That's less than $7k. What would 2 or 3 good quality gun safes cost?

I'd rather have that room then have 3 really good safes.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    now thats one _ell of a door! cant wait to see the finished room. nice welding on the nipples also. must have a nice welder.:)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    now thats one _ell of a door! cant wait to see the finished room. nice welding on the nipples also. must have a nice welder.:)

My rod wasn't very good so it gave me a little bit of a fit. I need to make a rod oven. :D. I'm going to tell them not to lift it by just 2 nipples just in case as the nipples are pretty thin. 1 nipple in and of itself isn't going to provide much strength but 9 of the will.

I've got a local guy near Lafayette doing the excavation.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Nice project!

I'm sure you did a lot of internet surfing for materials and designs and the like. If you are like me you have made a file for links to pages you came across while doing this research, whether you used that product or idea or not. IF this little fantasy of mine is true and IF it is as easy as copying links I would LOVE to see what I am am guessing would be a treasure of links that you have compiled.
    BTW: I would be more than willing to wear a blind fold in the back of a van for up to 30 minutes if that lets me see this project when it is complete.:shady::D Mostly kidding don't answer the last part.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I really don't have all that much stuff on my computer. We looked and looked through home plan books and never found a plan we were satified with. We found a TK Constructors plan we loved and needed just a little tweaking. We then learned about ICF construction and decided to go that route. All of our exterior walls will be concrete and should save us a grand or so in utility costs. There are very few ICF builders around. We chose Crane Builders out of Indy.

We've been wanting to build for 10 years now and finally are getting to. I was thinking I should turn it into an INGO amusement park and charge admission as I will be broke when this is done! I should have a nice big hole tomorrow afternoon. I'm ready to be done already!

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    My rod wasn't very good so it gave me a little bit of a fit. I need to make a rod oven. :D. I'm going to tell them not to lift it by just 2 nipples just in case as the nipples are pretty thin. 1 nipple in and of itself isn't going to provide much strength but 9 of the will.

I've got a local guy near Lafayette doing the excavation.
    welder buddy of mine made a simple steel box with a light bulb to keep welding rods in. worked very well

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Finally making progress. Got the basement dug today and the footings poured for my barn. I'll post a pic when the basement walls are poured and the door is in. It will probably be a week or 2.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Finally making some progress. I had the excavator drop the safe door in the hole on Wed. At 600#, I didn't want to have to get it down stairs. Plus this way, it gets poured with it already in the wall so it will never come out. They are supposed to pour the concrete for the basement walls Monday.
    04-02-2010basement012.jpg

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Little bit of an update. They finally got ceiling poured yesterday. This has to be the slowest building crew I have ever seen in my life.
    04-22-2010houseandbarnbabybirds001.jpg

04-22-2010houseandbarnbabybirds002.jpg

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Slow but well worth the wait. I am jealous. Did they ask a bunch of nosey and intrusive questions? Tell them you collect beanie babies if they start asking questions.

The owner of the company is a country bumpkin who grew up with guns and has built safe rooms before. He already knew what it was for. He and his sons went to college. Apparently they deprogram the ability to multitask in college.

dkc485

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Greenwood
    I only see what looks like one conduit pipe. Do you think that ventilation will be an issue, or do you already have a plan for it?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The conduit is for electrical. Thet are supposed to run duct work and I don't know why they didn't block out for it. That will be their problem to figure put later.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The conduit is for electrical. Thet are supposed to run duct work and I don't know why they didn't block out for it. That will be their problem to figure put later.
    Just make sure the duct work is too small for ninjas to crawl through. You don't want to let all those years of action-adventure, spy, and bank robbery movies go to waste. :D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Just make sure the duct work is too small for ninjas to crawl through. You don't want to let all those years of action-adventure, spy, and bank robbery movies go to waste. :D

Yes, it would kind of defeat the purpose if they put a 2'x3' duct opening in the wall. But I figure if the criminal was smart enough to figure out to go in through the duct, they'd be able to get in anyway. It would just take a jackhammer or a cutting torch.:D

You can literally break into most houses today with a utility knife.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Hopefully they'll be planting alfalfa on my range pretty soon. If I had an open house, I'd have to kill everyone afterwards and then I'd be out of ammo. Can't give up my super secret location.:cool::D

Top Bottom