• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    This thread confirms my fears that vaping is becoming such a fad that it's being encouraged and promoted rather than simply a "heathier" way to deliver nicotine.

i see people who vape that hit their device so often it
    boggles the mind. I'm betting overall nicotine ingestion is way higher than had they just smoked. I suspect in a few years we're going to see a lot of data on e-cig lung diseases.

sorry to be the buzz killington

Can't rep you. :(.

Substituting one delivery system for another is not quitting. You don't quit heroin by deciding to smoke it instead of mainlining.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    This thread confirms my fears that vaping is becoming such a fad that it's being encouraged and promoted rather than simply a "heathier" way to deliver nicotine.

i see people who vape that hit their device so often it
    boggles the mind. I'm betting overall nicotine ingestion is way higher than had they just smoked. I suspect in a few years we're going to see a lot of data on e-cig lung diseases.

sorry to be the buzz killington

I know five people who started vaping instead of smoking. All five of them hit their device way more than they ever smoked and at least three of them never seem to put it down. I don't know what the nicotine content of what they are using is but to me it just seems like they traded one addiction for another.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    But isn't the smoke itself the primary health concern with smoking, not the nicotine?

True, but we also don't yet know if "vaping" is any less harmful in the long term. Abstaining completely certainly is.

And let's also not forget that these things explode more often than .40 cal Glocks.

"Check out the sick clouds from my new mod bro!"
    e-cig_p3102040.jpg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    But isn't the smoke itself the primary health concern with smoking, not the nicotine?

Considering they make very effective insecticides out of chemical compounds chemically related to nicotine (neonicitinoids) not sure I'd be inhaling a similar compound just because it's less deadly

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    True, but we also don't yet know if "vaping" is any less harmful in the long term. Abstaining completely certainly is.

And let's also not forget that these things explode more often than .40 cal Glocks.

I'm going to bet that was an unregulated mod and the guy had no idea what he was doing. With regulated mods and sub ohm tanks catching up to unregulated abilities, it's not much of an issue like it was.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage

e-cig_p3102040.jpg

There are several safety measures in place to prevent this type of thing from happening.
    Quality lithium batteries have fuses, regulated mods have electronic means of detecting shorts and/or bad batteries, quality battery chargers can detect failing batteries as well.
    The majority of battery explosions were caused by knock-off products, user error, and/or using an improper battery charger. There are very few incidences that are unexplained.
    We use lithium batteries for a variety of other things every day, if you really think they are that dangerous and prone to exploding, I suggest you throw your cellphone away immediately.

While we may not "know" that vaping is less harmful than smoking, we do "know" that smoking is bad for your health.
    We also "know" that 99% of people that switch from cigarettes to vaping report an improved quality of life/health.
    I'll go ahead and roll the dice when it comes to long term effects of vaping vs smoking.

I enjoy nicotine use, I switched to vaping because it's cheaper, and there is a chance that it's less harmful than smoking. (based on current research it is actually quite likely vaping is less harmful)
    You can criticize a persons life choices if you want, but I enjoy nicotine use and plan on continuing to do so.
    Everybody has a vice, mine happens to be nicotine... And guns! lol :ingo:

I don't understand why anyone would want to discourage a nicotine user from using a method of consumption that holds a possibility of diminished negative health effects.
    Abstinence is obviously the best policy, and I am not saying that vaping is without a doubt a safe alternative.
    However until proven otherwise, it seems like a "safer" bet than continuing to smoke cigarettes.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    H2O is pretty darned close to H2O2.

And acetaldehyde is real close to ethyl alcohol, too - but would you drink it? And the neonicitinoids are selected to have active subgroups bond to the same receptor sites in insect nervous systems (that we share), in the same way.

Pesticide factories are notoriously easy to turn into chemical warfare plants

magnuminmypants

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Dahlgren
    Vaping isn't actually dangerous, its morons who actually mod the e cigarette, and don't know what there actually doing that is why it exploded in his face, and regarding addiction the only thing that is addictive is the nicotine, and the worst part about smoking is the tobacco, that is what actually causes cancer, nicotine is not actually bad for you, coffee is more dangerous then nicotine! I quit smoking now about 5 years ago using e cigs, currently use this mod (Eleaf iStick TC60W ECig mod) which I actually dont have any problems with and its lasted over a year.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    What's more deadly?

Hydrogenated oils, and high fructose corn syrup, or clean nicotine from vapping.

How many people died last year from clean nicotine vs heart disease, and diabetes?

Just food for thought for the haters.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I choose to believe the Royal College of Physicians when they say the harm from e-cigs is at least 95% less harmful than tobacco cigarettes. https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/projects/outputs/nicotine-without-smoke-tobacco-harm-reduction-0 We also know that nicotine by itself is much less addicting when inhaled via e-cigs than it is when it is mixed with all the additional harmful chemicals for in cigarettes.

Why is our government so against the e-cigs then? Several reasons, mostly driven by state governments.

Money of course is the biggest reason. E-cigs are very difficult to tax because just about anyone can build one safely and the components in e-juice are widely available.

The Master Tobacco Settlement Agreement (1998) pays the settling states approximately $10 billion annually for the indefinite future to offset health care costs caused by tobacco. This money however is awarded based on tobacco sales so as more folks have started vaping the less money each state receives. Almost every state that is receiving this money has taken loans out using future payments of the MTSA as collateral and now they are falling short in funds.

People who vape also live longer than smokers and now many will be on the Medicaid rolls longer than expected again causing budget short falls.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I've been vaping for almost 3 years, and I've never felt better. I haven't even had a cold since I started vaping, and I was always good for one or two a year while smoking, and they would linger on for ages too.

Don't even get me started on how much money I've saved.

To bad big government, and big tobacco had to put a damper on the fun with their deeming. Oh well, I have at least 3 years of juice and mods, if things don't shake out.

LlamaMama

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2016
    Bunker Hill
    Sorry I'm a HIPPO..

I switched to vaping from smoking 7 years ago, never regretted it. I feel so much better than when I smoked. My Dr seriously told me that just nicotine itself, like from vaping, (not nicotine from smoking tobacco) is actually helpful for pain.

I also read an interesting article (sry about the source..) with a poll of what 20,000 people who vape would do if vaping is banned, the poll results say almost 90% of people who vape would turn to the black market and overseas for their gear. A large percent would go back to smoking cigarettes. I don't see how either of those options would be good for public health, I totally believe that the FDA is going to do more harm than good with their E-cigarette regulations.

FDA Prohibition Could Create Huge E-Cigarette Black Market | The Daily Caller

I'm going to start making my own fluid, get on learning to build my own coils, and have already switched to a mod that takes rechargeable batteries, so hopefully I can keep vaping if the FDA has it's way.

I'm also ashamed at Indiana's new law that will basically shut down thousands of vaping retailers because only 6 places can get a contract with the only security company in the country authorized by this law to work for these stores, so that they can manufacture the E-cigarette fluids. Really, how many vape stores are getting robbed?!

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Sorry I'm a HIPPO..

I switched to vaping from smoking 7 years ago, never regretted it. I feel so much better than when I smoked. My Dr seriously told me that just nicotine itself, like from vaping, (not nicotine from smoking tobacco) is actually helpful for pain.

I also read an interesting article (sry about the source..) with a poll of what 20,000 people who vape would do if vaping is banned, the poll results say almost 90% of people who vape would turn to the black market and overseas for their gear. A large percent would go back to smoking cigarettes. I don't see how either of those options would be good for public health, I totally believe that the FDA is going to do more harm than good with their E-cigarette regulations.

FDA Prohibition Could Create Huge E-Cigarette Black Market | The Daily Caller

I'm going to start making my own fluid, get on learning to build my own coils, and have already switched to a mod that takes rechargeable batteries, so hopefully I can keep vaping if the FDA has it's way.

I'm also ashamed at Indiana's new law that will basically shut down thousands of vaping retailers because only 6 places can get a contract with the only security company in the country authorized by this law to work for these stores, so that they can manufacture the E-cigarette fluids. Really, how many vape stores are getting robbed?!

Indiana's law is just disgraceful, and a perfect example of crony capitalism.

Top Bottom