• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Doh! I just realized the pics I posted in the group buy thread were supposed to go here.

My question at the moment, though, is how to best add a handgun holster to the rig. Would you wear a tactical vest under the pack? I would think the pack's straps would interfere with most of the pouches on a tacvest. Would you appendix carry an OWB holster on the waist belt? I prefer a 3 or 4 o'clock carry, which would place the sidearm on the outside of the padding (or inside the padding if I was wearing the holster and then put on the pack).
    For military use it's typically a drop leg holster that goes with all the battle rattle. For an ordinary holster you will probably have to alter your holster positioning slightly. Probably 3 o'clock would be the most rearward position you could obtain depending on your build and how that pack fits you. I'm odd though, I prefer drop legs anyhow. If used properly they are simply more comfortable, efficient, etc. They just don't fit into every day civilian carry/life very well.

Standard loadout is plate carrier with full IFAK, at least 3 double mag pouches, plates, and grenade pouches. They can also have pistol mag pouches if they fit and/or dump pouches. On top of that you'll have the complete ILBE system (main pack, assault pack, camelbak). Then any additional equipment depending on their role/responsibility in the unit such as ammo, spare barrels, HEDP 203 rounds, etc,etc.

For the most part you don't go into a highly hostile situation with full main pack. If you're expecting confrontation or a higher than average chance of it you'll be utilizing the assault pack. So, yes you'll have your vest on when using the pack, but the chances of you needing to access your magazines is less likely. They are still accessible though. You make sure you setup the vest where everything functions well together so you are not hindered in any way from being able to engage at any time.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hah! I bought one and looked up how it should be packed without even thinking of asking my daughter who was a Marine and had to pack one of these.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    That 2" buckle looks nothing like the 2" buckles on any of the packs I've seen. And where could you get the "quick" disconnect shoulder strap buckles? Or if they went south, would you just have to revert to a more common part?
    I don't know if they make replacements for those. If Marines had a problem with those they simply got turned in, probably scrapped for useful parts by supply Marines, and thrown into bins for discarding. They don't spend money on actually repairing these packs that I've ever heard of so if it requires stitching it's discarded.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I know this might sound dumb. But on the assault packs, what are the slits for on the front pocket? At first I thought mine was ripped but I noticed there are two and are covered by that tan flap. Is this just so things can stick out?
    You can actually insert your hydration bladder in those packs. Thos slits are for both ventilation of gear and to allow you to run your drinking tube through it if you so choose.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I feel like the answer to this question will be "It depends" but, is it worth spraying a civilian waterproofer/sealer on these packs? I know, it probably depends on how much wear and tear they have, but is there anything I should NOT do to try to waterproof them? :) The ones I got were in pretty good shape - I would say lightly used. (I did find a small hole in the lid that I'm going to patch, but really, that's it.)

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I feel like the answer to this question will be "It depends" but, is it worth spraying a civilian waterproofer/sealer on these packs? I know, it probably depends on how much wear and tear they have, but is there anything I should NOT do to try to waterproof them? :) The ones I got were in pretty good shape - I would say lightly used. (I did find a small hole in the lid that I'm going to patch, but really, that's it.)

Did you save your receipt on the lid?

Seriously, I bought a lot of 300 lids and they will not be the limiting factor. Feel free to bring it in and trade it for one without a hole.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    haha

I might just do that during your next open hours! :D Honestly, this hole is really just a few mm across, and I already returned/exchanged one lid. I'm trying hard not to be a problem child. :)

Plus, I figure if I keep this is along as I intend to keep it, I'll need to be able to fix it!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've never tried a spray in sealer before, so I can't really comment. :dunno:

These packs are pretty rugged. Unless you think those sealers wouldn't hold up to equivalent abuse then I'd say it's worth a try. I probably wouldn't personally but only because, at least for me, I like utilizing the different bags for waterproofing because it allows me to keep the gear somewhat organized. ie I know what's in this bag, that bag, etc.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I wouldn't worry about those holes too much unless it's near a strap or somewhere that will get pulled on a lot, such as a draw strap. The big issue with those lids are the zippers pulling off track and such.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks - the small hole is in the very middle of the top layer of the lid. Almost makes me think that something with a sharp corner was there and just poked through. The hole isn't ragged or anything.

My OCD-ness kicks in and, now that I know about it, I have to do something about it. May try sewing it, now that I think about it....

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Thanks - the small hole is in the very middle of the top layer of the lid. Almost makes me think that something with a sharp corner was there and just poked through. The hole isn't ragged or anything.

My OCD-ness kicks in and, now that I know about it, I have to do something about it. May try sewing it, now that I think about it....
    If it's that small, that's all I would do with it depending on what you plan to use that compartment for that is....

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I took advantage of our son's Christmas visit to have him go over my packs and how things all go together. Of course, he had to start by informing me that it's "all junk -- that's why we got rid of that stuff." Thanks, kid. Little brat.

He brought along his ruck for hiking, jam-packed with all kinds of gear. His helmet, cammies, two sleeping bags, slings, etc., and a "pig" -- sandbag for extra weight. Jarheads. Sheesh. :D

Anyway, in addition to being shown how to hook it all together, he did redeem himself somewhat by giving me a rigger's belt, along with a nice, padded duty belt and some double-stack rifle and pistol mag pouches. He even threw in a small pouch that he used on one of his tours that was a bit dried out and stiff, and showed me how to thread stuff into the MOLLE system.

I think I'll wait until spring to clean up the packs. No sense making a mess in the tub and listening to my wife complain ...

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    T.Lex,
    -find a section of strap that is longer than you would ever need,
    -cut off a length that would cover the hole and about 6+mm beyond it on all sides.
    -use flame/heat to treat the ends so they don't fray.
    -use dental floss to hand stitch the patch from the inside of the pack.

I have tons of black heavy floss you are welcome to for repairs. Yes, I'm a dentist but I special ordered this stuff specifically to sew and repair heavy camping gear. I think I even have some lightly waxed which might help with the water resistance. You are welcome to it.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I took advantage of our son's Christmas visit to have him go over my packs and how things all go together. Of course, he had to start by informing me that it's "all junk -- that's why we got rid of that stuff." Thanks, kid. Little brat.

He brought along his ruck for hiking, jam-packed with all kinds of gear. His helmet, cammies, two sleeping bags, slings, etc., and a "pig" -- sandbag for extra weight. Jarheads. Sheesh. :D

Anyway, in addition to being shown how to hook it all together, he did redeem himself somewhat by giving me a rigger's belt, along with a nice, padded duty belt and some double-stack rifle and pistol mag pouches. He even threw in a small pouch that he used on one of his tours that was a bit dried out and stiff, and showed me how to thread stuff into the MOLLE system.

I think I'll wait until spring to clean up the packs. No sense making a mess in the tub and listening to my wife complain ...

I've been so caught up in getting the stuff they don't use anymore I haven't seen what they are switching to. What do they use now?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

Nice. They're aren't really junk though. Part of the reason they got new ones is that they allow for more functionality in that the sleeping system fits into the new design MUCH better and it allows you to separate your gear a little more. They are shorter, but wider so there's no adverse affects on smaller people using them as much as the old style.

I haven't humped extensive miles with these new systems, but some close friends have. The thing is, that any Marine will like new gear because it's typically an improvement in some aspect, but not all. The older packs weren't really "bad" to begin with if kept in good shape. They'll serve 99% of civilian needs without a problem for sure.

Top Bottom