• ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Sorry tourniquets, combat gauze etc.
    Oh, yeah definitely. My personal preps are one IFAK on each separate pack. So, I have one IFAK on my VEB, one on my GHB, one on my BOB, and one on my plate carrier. This way, no matter what's going on or how I need to separate/use my gear I have it. Of course, certain bags have additional med supplies depending on their use but that's my personal min requirement.

Could be a bit excessive material should the situation arise that I'm combining packs, but I figure some SERIOUS S*** has hit the fan at that point and those med supplies might come in handy at some point.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Got it, I have seen some on the back of packs only. Makes it kinda of hard to self treat if its not right up front.
    This main pack is going to be a BOB. I figure if things are bad enough for me to grab that, then I'll have my plate carrier with me at the least if not also the GHB and/or VEB. All situationally dependent of course, but if I grab my BOB the plate carrier is going too.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Heya -

Thanks again for the information!

In that groupbuy thread, it looks like some "hydration carriers w/out bladder" will be available. I think I understand "hydration carrier" - it is what carries the bladders :) - but can you explain how the bladder works with it? Also, how much are bladders and where can you get them? Are they proprietary, or are there "commercial" versions that might be better/worse/different?

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Heya -

In that groupbuy thread, it looks like some "hydration carriers w/out bladder" will be available. I think I understand "hydration carrier" - it is what carries the bladders :) - but can you explain how the bladder works with it? Also, how much are bladders and where can you get them? Are they proprietary, or are there "commercial" versions that might be better/worse/different?

Can't answer your whole question, but the hydration carrier is just a little pouch that holds the bladder. Usually there is a tube for you to drink water from that hooks up to a strap if I'm not mistaken. EBay most likely has the bladders on there but I couldn't tell you what exactly to search for.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Heya -

Bladders are available at most sporting goods stores and big box places. I think I got mine at Wally World and arond $10, IIRC.

Mine had the bladder tube and bite valve.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding them.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Heya -

I'll take some pics and try to update this OP to include that towards the end of the weekend. I've got a PITA final to complete before midnight tomorrow.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok, picked my stuff up from the SDH group buy, and all went smoothly! :) Pretty excited to get it all put together and stuff. :)

Couple questions, though:

- I'm kinda a guy that likes to mod stuff. It isn't that I don't like what I've got, I just tend to want to see if I can make it better for my own personal use. Any idea if those clasps are standard sizes, and if so, what size they are? I have some other stuff I might sew the clips into and see if I can make more "modules" for the modular thing. (If there's a forum or something that deals with this, that would be cool too.)

- There was some white dust-type stuff inside the assault pack (I didn't look too closely at the inside). It seems like it will come right off with soap and water, but I'm kinda curious what it might be. :) Understanding where these packs may have been makes me wonder a bit.

- What's the best way to waterproof this stuff?

- It seems like the hydration carrier should be pretty intuitive, but some suggestions on what kind of bladders work well, any tips to using them, and where to get them would be great!

TIA!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Ok, picked my stuff up from the SDH group buy, and all went smoothly! :) Pretty excited to get it all put together and stuff. :)

Couple questions, though:

- I'm kinda a guy that likes to mod stuff. It isn't that I don't like what I've got, I just tend to want to see if I can make it better for my own personal use. Any idea if those clasps are standard sizes, and if so, what size they are? I have some other stuff I might sew the clips into and see if I can make more "modules" for the modular thing. (If there's a forum or something that deals with this, that would be cool too.)

- There was some white dust-type stuff inside the assault pack (I didn't look too closely at the inside). It seems like it will come right off with soap and water, but I'm kinda curious what it might be. :) Understanding where these packs may have been makes me wonder a bit.

- What's the best way to waterproof this stuff?

- It seems like the hydration carrier should be pretty intuitive, but some suggestions on what kind of bladders work well, any tips to using them, and where to get them would be great!

TIA!

For modification or additional accessories, there is molle webbing pretty much everywhere you can have it on these things. There's certainly no shortage of methods to attach other necessities. You can also buy additional clips that I will be updating the OP with some pictures of shortly. For the snaps, you can buy repair kits, but I have not tested their durability personally.

The white powdery substance is more than likely either foot powder, or some powder detergent that didn't quite get washed off in a machine. That would be my guess anyhow. Foot powder (keeping your feet dry and clean) is a grunt's best friend.

You can purchase waterproofing bags that are USGI, but they're not too cheap usually. Again. I'll supply more info in the OP later. If those are unreasonable in price ziplocks and trash bags serve the purpose well. Double them up if you REALLY want to be safe.

These appear to be 100% mil-spec for these carriers. I haven't found them anywhere that is at all cheaper. $30 seems to be the going rate, but at least this image will give you an idea of what they look like/to expect. [ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/290522959659?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619"]New USGI ACU Hydramax 3L Hydration Bladder Tube Valve | eBay[/ame]

Last edited:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been going over the 13 field packs/waist belts/lids, 10 assault packs, and 7 hydration carriers I brought to Terre Haute, and I found that I'd selected one hydration carrier that's not like the others.

One has another zipper on the front of the carrier that is just a pouch. It doesn't open on the bladder compartment. The zipper across the top is also in front of the top MOLLE straps, so the bladder could be accessed that way while the carrier is attached to MOLLE gear, where it can't with the type of carrier shown in the OP. ... What's up with that?

As to the field packs, I've figured out every strap and buckle save two. There are two buckles that face inward (sideways) on the front, near the bottom, immediately above where the assault pack retainer flap attaches. What are they for?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've been going over the 13 field packs/waist belts/lids, 10 assault packs, and 7 hydration carriers I brought to Terre Haute, and I found that I'd selected one hydration carrier that's not like the others.

One has another zipper on the front of the carrier that is just a pouch. It doesn't open on the bladder compartment. The zipper across the top is also in front of the top MOLLE straps, so the bladder could be accessed that way while the carrier is attached to MOLLE gear, where it can't with the type of carrier shown in the OP. ... What's up with that?

As to the field packs, I've figured out every strap and buckle save two. There are two buckles that face inward (sideways) on the front, near the bottom, immediately above where the assault pack retainer flap attaches. What are they for?

Can you provide pics on the other hydration carrier? I'm having trouble envisioning what you're trying to depict.

The buckles you're referring to on the main packs don't necessarily have a specific purpose that I'm aware of. You can use them in conjunction with attaching the assault pack by way of its botton side straps. Simply unbuckle the bottom side strap on the assault pack and attach them to those buckles you're curious about as opposed to using the exterior flap if preferred.

Last edited:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Doh! I just realized the pics I posted in the group buy thread were supposed to go here.

My question at the moment, though, is how to best add a handgun holster to the rig. Would you wear a tactical vest under the pack? I would think the pack's straps would interfere with most of the pouches on a tacvest. Would you appendix carry an OWB holster on the waist belt? I prefer a 3 or 4 o'clock carry, which would place the sidearm on the outside of the padding (or inside the padding if I was wearing the holster and then put on the pack).

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    If this review could be reduced to one sentence it would be "YE GODS, LOOK AT ALL THEM STRAPS!"

But on a serious note, good job, and thanks for the abundance of pictures.

+1 LOL I was carrying mine to the gym and somebody said he though I had "fringe" on my pack from all the swinging straps flopping around. I have since used the elastic keepers to tame the fringe effect.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    +1 LOL I was carrying mine to the gym and somebody said he though I had "fringe" on my pack from all the swinging straps flopping around. I have since used the elastic keepers to tame the fringe effect.
    The elastic bands work and if you're missing those you can still roll them up and use little electrical tape. :D

Top Bottom