• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GreedIsGood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2010
    I am looking to buy my first rifle and I'm wondering what some of your thoughts are on Caliber and Gun. I'm not sure if I want to go with a .22LR AR style or just get an AR.
    I'm a realist and the way things have been going, if Martial Law or Agenda 21 (or something of this nature) did happen I want a rifle that is going to protect me and my family. Something that I will be able to get ammunition for. I would think .22LR rounds would be easier to come buy then others.
    Some thoughts?

thanks

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    A .22 is a great starter rifle. A Ruger 10/22 was my first rifle. It's super cheap to shoot, etc., etc. It can be used as a HD rifle but I don't recommend it as such. I now have multiple rifles but my AR's have a CMMG .22 conversion which works quite well. Good for practice and plinking. If budget permits I would go ahead with an AR or other style rifle or shotgun for HD. A shotgun would be ideal depending on your living situation. Quite a bit cheaper than an AR rifle. If HD is your primary concern for a long gun I'd look into .223 or bigger and shotgun. .223/5.56 ammo is almost as popular as .22LR. Personally I have 3 weapons for SD/HD. AR15, Rem 870 12GA., and Glock 17. The .22's I use strictly for plinking and varmint control. However, in a desperate situation I would not hesitate to grab a .22 and use it for defense. Good luck with your decision.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I would vote ar and get a 22 conversion. I don't see the point in a strictly 22 ar, I would go 1022 if you do decide that route.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I am looking to buy my first rifle and I'm wondering what some of your thoughts are on Caliber and Gun. I'm not sure if I want to go with a .22LR AR style or just get an AR.
    I'm a realist and the way things have been going, if Martial Law or Agenda 21 (or something of this nature) did happen I want a rifle that is going to protect me and my family. Something that I will be able to get ammunition for. I would think .22LR rounds would be easier to come buy then others.
    Some thoughts?

thanks

Based on your comments, I do not think a dedicated .22 would fit the bill. If you have concern over the government taking away "assault weapons", get the AR. Also, as stated above, a .22 would not be my first choice for home defense.

What is your budget? Personally, if you can swing it, I say get an AR and a .22 or a .22 conversion kit for an AR.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Get a AR then get a Marlin Model 60. You can get them at gun shows for 120-160 and they are accurate.
    A solid AR offers te ability to change uppers.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The CMMG 22 conversions work quite well. So an AR in 223/5.56 with a conversion bolt or even an entire upper would be both fun and practical.

Another option would be a 22 rifle such as a 10/22 or Marlin. Then use the money you save to get yourself a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 for defending your family.

GreedIsGood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2010
    Awesome thanks for all the responses, I'm going this saturday to look for a rifle. My budget is around $700. I carry a Glock 26 (my first gun) and I love it. I shot one of my buddies .308 rifles, but at almost $5 a round is a lil pricey.
    Anyways thanks if I pick something up this weekend I'll post it up.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Awesome thanks for all the responses, I'm going this saturday to look for a rifle. My budget is around $700. I carry a Glock 26 (my first gun) and I love it. I shot one of my buddies .308 rifles, but at almost $5 a round is a lil pricey.

Were you shooting silver bullets? $5 is way high per round for .308

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    $700 budget. Look for some seasonal deals. $200 for a Ruger 10/22. Add tech sights, sling, and mags for $150. Then grab a $250 Mossberg 500 shotgun. Add a $100 18" defense barrel.

There you go. For $700 you can hunt, defend, target shoot.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    If I can sell some things the AR is going to be my primary weapons of choice. A quality AR a shotgun and Glock and I am good to go. I have all I need and then some except for the AR

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Were you shooting silver bullets? $5 is way high per round for .308

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I would vote ar and get a 22 conversion. I don't see the point in a strictly 22 ar, I would go 1022 if you do decide that route.

Agreed. I think those 22ars are rather silly myself. People say they use it for practice for a real ar, but the truth is that they dont replicate recoil.

If you think you will evenually go the ar route, get a 10/22 or something similar, save up and get a "real" ar when ready.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    First Rifle: Ruger 10/22 or Marlin/Glenfield Model 60 are both great .22 LR for learning how to shoot a rifle. The firearms are inexpensive and widely sold, the ammo is cheap and readily available. The .22 LR has low recoil which allows you to concentrate on shooting fundamentals and remains fun for plinking and squirrel hunting.

Home Defense: I would probably go with a 12 ga Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with a short barrel for HD. They are both widely sold, easy to customize and inexpensive. You don't need multiple 30-round mags to repel a burglar.

Neighborhood Defense: AR-15 in 5.56mm, popular platform, ammo costs more than .22 but relatively cheap for a rifle and readily available. You might want to save up for a good one and all the accessories you will want.

Edit: I thought about my answer and if you want multiple 30-round mags to repel a burglar, feel free to do so. I think a pump shotgun is better suited for the application but YMMV and my preference doesn't preclude you from doing what works for you and makes you comfortable.

Last edited:

lumpagus1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Ossian
    I'd suggest getting an AR-15 in either .223 or 5.56 first for home defense so you can get used to the feel of shooting that caliber. If you decide you want to shoot more for cheaper then do like most everyone else is saying...get a dedicated .22 upper, a .22 conversion kit, or a .22 rifle. Plus the AR-15 has easily got to be the most customizable rifle ever made so you can pick and choose what you want, if you get to that fiscal point. You really can't go wrong with an AR-15, there isn't much that you can't do with it, be it accessorization, caliber change, optics mounting, monolithic or not, sound suppression, change in barrel length, and I'm sure there are a few more things I'm missing but you get my point.

My suggestion for Gun and Caliber - AR-15 chambered in 5.56 or .223 Wylde

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    I'd suggest getting an AR-15 in either .223 or 5.56 first for home defense so you can get used to the feel of shooting that caliber. If you decide you want to shoot more for cheaper then do like most everyone else is saying...get a dedicated .22 upper, a .22 conversion kit, or a .22 rifle. Plus the AR-15 has easily got to be the most customizable rifle ever made so you can pick and choose what you want, if you get to that fiscal point. You really can't go wrong with an AR-15, there isn't much that you can't do with it, be it accessorization, caliber change, optics mounting, monolithic or not, sound suppression, change in barrel length, and I'm sure there are a few more things I'm missing but you get my point.

My suggestion for Gun and Caliber - AR-15 chambered in 5.56 or .223 Wylde

.223 or 5.56? :dunno::dunno::dunno:

GreedIsGood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2010
    I think the gun I'm going with is a Yugoslavian SKS imported by InterOrdnance. I'm picking this up for $300.
    @ the $5 a round comments, I'm not sure if they were exactly $5 a pop, but I think he said they we're around that. Also I live in Texas? So maybe ammo prices may be a little different. And if your wondering why I'm on an Indiana Gun forum, its because I was born and raised there just recently moved out here, plus I like this forum and the people. :)
    So what do you guys think about the Yugo SKS?

Top Bottom