• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Even .50BMG won't cost $5 each, nevermind any .308 at all. That's not the issue, though. My first rifle was a 5.56 AR, and I have multiple of those now, plus .22s and a lot of other things. .22LR will absolutely not provide you protection. It's best for practice and hunting small varmints like squirrels. You want to stand up to anyone, the 5.56 is the least you need. An SKS fires the 7.62x39, same as an AK47, and would be quite adequate to your needs. I have one of those as well; don't let anyone badmouth it. Sure, there are dogs, but they have served in the militaries of several countries with distinction.

GreedIsGood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2010
    SKS it is!
    IMG_0981.jpg

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Awesome thanks for all the responses, I'm going this saturday to look for a rifle. My budget is around $700. I carry a Glock 26 (my first gun) and I love it. I shot one of my buddies .308 rifles, but at almost $5 a round is a lil pricey.
    Anyways thanks if I pick something up this weekend I'll post it up.
    Normal new priced Brand name (Winchester - Remington) .308 ammo is right at $1.00 a round at local retailers (Walmart, Rural King, Tractor Supply etc.) Bulk military ammo is between $.50 and .75 a round. 308 is widely carried everywhere if that is your concern. I would consider a 22 LR a little inadequate for home defense. A shotgun would be better. I would advise purchasing a Marlin 60 or similar rifle for targeting and small game hunting use. I personally favor handguns for HD, and keep a Colt 45 at bedside. If you are concerned about "assault weapons" being banned again (a legitimate concern), I would look at purchasing either an AK-47 or AR-15 - both shoot relatively inexpensive ammo.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Good choice on the SKS! I have been contemplating whether or not I am going to go with an AR or an AK and I believe next time around ill be going ak. Ammo is cheap and super reliable rifles.

GreedIsGood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2010
    UPDATE: for some reason i started to mod the sks already. Bought an ATI stock, 30rd mag. But im having trouble with the mag fitting, filled it down and it locks in now, but the bolt will not engage now. Honestly I dont really like the ATI stock. Makes the gun very top heavy. When you fold it to the side, its loose and flops around! Bleh. I thought I would like it but now I'm leaning to go back to the wood stock!
    Also I thought the ATI package would include a top mount for the dust cover so I could mount a scope. I was wrong. Should have did more research. If anyone can think of why the bolt wont engage when the clip is in pls msg me or something. Worked fine with the 10rd box mag.

8F4FE9EA-2255-442E-B439-E20CA263D92E-5285-000006005BD994DE.jpg

jtmason15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    Grant County
    If you are wanting a good AR .22 then I would go with the S&W MP .22. It is the best AR 22 on the market. They shoot well and they will eat anything that you put through them. Plus they are very accurate. If you actually want a AR15 than for the price you are looking at I would go with a Stag. I own 2 of them and they are quality weapons. And the prices are reasonable also. I hope this helps, happy hunting

Top Bottom