• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Rules and policy are two entirely different things. The topic here is something that should be included in official, published range rules, IMO.

Has anyone experienced a spot check by an ATF agent that happened to be at a range during target practice with NFA item(s)?

In that case, I would have prefer to have an ATF tax stamp for each NFA item in my possession, a copy of the the gun trust if applicable, and valid state issued ID for their viewing pleasure.

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Has anyone experienced a spot check by an ATF agent that happened to be at a range during target practice with NFA item(s)?

In that case, I would have prefer to have an ATF tax stamp for each NFA item in my possession, a copy of the the gun trust if applicable, and valid state issued ID for their viewing pleasure.

I haven't experienced a check of any kind, though one of the DNR employees at Winamac FWA was pretty interested in my AOW 12 gauge. Didn't ask about paperwork; I think he was just a gun guy.

I have laminated copies of my Form 4s in the bottom of my range bag and scans on my phone. Not the trust itself, but with the trust name containing my name and address on the forms matching my driver's license, I would expect that to be good enough.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Sent this to corporate:

Sir or Ma'am,
    I visited your range in Greenwood, Indiana yesterday (Sunday) with my 14 year old boy to do some shooting. For this shooting trip I brought along a Walther P22 with suppressor and a CZ Scorpion SBR with suppressor. As we were shooting, we were approached by a range staff member and he asked if I had the proper stamps for these guns. i told him I did. He asked to see them and I asked why he wanted to see them. He told me that I am required by law to carry them and show them if asked. I politely told him that the only persons I am legally obligated to show are ATF agents. He told me that if I didn't show him then he was going to call the police. I told him that I am a police officer (Indianapolis Metropolitan) and to go ahead and call. He told me he was a retired chief of police. I declined to show him my paperwork and asked if it was your policy for me to show it. He stated that it was. I asked if we could continue shooting as long as we did not shoot NFA items and he said yes. After our range time was up, I located a manager and asked if it was your policy to require NFA paperwork to use the range. He stated that it was your policy. I asked why it is not written or posted anywhere and he said he didn't know. I want to make sure you understand that I am not upset if this is indeed your policy. I am, however, upset that someone decided to threaten me with a call to police, and that I can get all the way onto the range and begin shooting before being told that what I brought to shoot is unacceptable. If it's policy, post it somewhere. I will end this communication by saying that it is ridiculous that you'd have a policy like this in the first place and not post it anywhere. I feel that it would be akin to asking every customer who comes through the door with a holstered firearm to prove they have a license to carry it, or running a background check on every person who shoots on the range to ensure they are not a person prohibited from possessing a weapon. I would ask that you please clarify this issue for me. Thank you.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Not meaning to do a thread jack, but has anyone experienced anything like this at Parabellum? Thinking about getting family membership, and I don't want to waste the money if they're jackasses too.

Parabellum is currently the only place in Indianapolis that I know of which allows drawing from a holster. They're not jackasses. They're a good operation and worthy of your business.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Idk..I'd think it would be funny to watch cops confront another cop for supposedly "breaking the law" and refusing to produce stamps in which the store has no say over...

If the RO had called for LEO to enforce his "law", would not trespassing issues emerged? The RO could order VUPD to show the form or lear, just as a restaurant can ask one to conceal a carry weapon or leave. Nothing would have been gained by refusing to comply and escalating the situation. Now is the time to deal with it. Perhaps INGO members can inundate the range with letters an email alerting them to the decision of the membership to refrain from using their facility. Might persuade them to change the policy.

IndyGunFreak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    If the RO had called for LEO to enforce his "law", would not trespassing issues emerged? The RO could order VUPD to show the form or lear, just as a restaurant can ask one to conceal a carry weapon or leave. Nothing would have been gained by refusing to comply and escalating the situation. Now is the time to deal with it. Perhaps INGO members can inundate the range with letters an email alerting them to the decision of the membership to refrain from using their facility. Might persuade them to change the policy.

The OP doesn't seem to dispute they could ask him to leave (and I'm guessing he would not have allowed it to reach the point of the police being called, before he just voluntarily left). Just reading his post, he understands "their house, their rules". However, his issue seems to be these rules are not clearly posted anywhere (not to mention suggesting their policy was "law" was pure hogwash, and just about anyone would know that). They came to an agreement he'd only shoot his non-NFA stuff, which made the blissninny RO happy.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If the RO and/or owner/manager says he have to show stamp or leave the property, yes he would have to leave or possibly face trespassing charges.

If the RO say that he have to show stamp or he's calling the cops, I doubt the cops will do anything.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    I've never been to this establishment in question, but I can assure you that I will never step foot in the door after this outlandish interaction with the staff.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Do the rules say you can't use a strobe weapon light? Do the rules say you can't shoot prone? Do the rules say you can't shoot with an upside down grip? Do the rules say you can't dual wield? Do the rules say you can't wear a scary clown mask while shooting? Do the rules say you can't shoot .50 BMG? I'm sure there are a lot of things not in print they will enforce verbally when necessary. Sounds like the ROs need these to hand out:
    View attachment 44179

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    The OP doesn't seem to dispute they could ask him to leave (and I'm guessing he would not have allowed it to reach the point of the police being called, before he just voluntarily left). Just reading his post, he understands "their house, their rules". However, his issue seems to be these rules are not clearly posted anywhere (not to mention suggesting their policy was "law" was pure hogwash, and just about anyone would know that). They came to an agreement he'd only shoot his non-NFA stuff, which made the blissninny RO happy.

Generally when you have paid money to rent a facility, you have a contractual interest in it during the period of rental and cannot be trespassed.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom