• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I do take it personally, because a lot of people are making broad generalizations about all unions on here. Now I see why all of the union guys are messaging me saying it's not worth standing up for our particular unions. All most people have are ideas, or experiences about one union or another, and then it gets spread to every union. They're stereotypes, and they're just as ignorant when placed on unions as when placed on religion, sexual preferences, and race.

I understand that the bargaining process can be inherently slow. That's why WE (my particular union) do our bargaining, and pre-jobs (contract drafting processes) in the off-seasons, and before jobs are scheduled. We also lay 1 1/2 miles of 42" pipe a day, compared to our non-union counterpart's 3/4-1 mile a day with a comparably sized crew.

Just so you know, I'm not calling you ignorant and I'm not trying to single you out. I'm just tired of getting on here and feeling like everyone's calling me lazy and slow all of the time because I chose to join a union, so I could better provide for myself and my family.

Anti-Gunners say all gun owners are redneck nut jobs with little %i*ks , self-esteem issues, and plans to overthrow the government. It seems fine around here if people get irritated at them when they talk $hi+. Us union members stand up for our ethics and get bashed harder than any anti-gunner's words with a lot of "If there's smoke, there's fire." innuendo.

Like you I chose the union side of labor for the benny's and the money. Nothing changed in conditions, safety, work load or work in general but I am basically a free agent doing my own thing for customers at their request. For the most part I set my own schedule and did the lions share of the bid work on my projects. The fitters side was always at odds with us as they only worked approx. 10 months a year and felt they deserved more money for their efforts than the service side for our efforts and overall knowledge. I went for an entire summer and worked the construction/fitters side just to shut some of those guys up. I also wanted to test my skills and broaden them if possible. At the end of the 2 projects they admitted I could do their work. Hard, physical work, yes. Some skills involved, of course. None of them would even attempt my work. So much to know and so many skills to master. I do not short change the work they do. It is hard. But they do look at us as underlings. We were always paid less, had to know far more and worked the same conditions as they did. We have to have customer skills and work directly with engineers, maint. staff and property managers. They never see a customer and just complain about engineers. Yes, a very broad statement that lumps a lot of folks into a tight view point but for the most part this has been my direct experience. I do not even want to get started about the UAW.
    I am glad you are doing well with your union. I hope you prosper there.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    I have my own bad thoughts about individuals in my union. They are some of the most arrogant, misogynistic, hard headed people I've ever met. Welders from Texas don't think anyone from any other state can weld, and welders from Louisiana think anyone from out of state is a "qu33r". But I also know that when it's work time their hoods are down, and they're burning rods. I don't get along with 90% of the people I work with, but I don't doubt 90% of their work ethic.

I'm really not trying to come off as an elitist. I just know I bust my ass at work, and don't want to be lumped in with the "I got this job cuz' my uncle Vinnie, the one with no neck, threw his weight around. I push a broom at construction sites for $40 an hour." @$$holes. (Fun with stereotypes)

BTW, ATM :laugh:

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I do take it personally, because a lot of people are making broad generalizations about all unions on here. Now I see why all of the union guys are messaging me saying it's not worth standing up for our particular unions. All most people have are ideas, or experiences about one union or another, and then it gets spread to every union. They're stereotypes, and they're just as ignorant when placed on unions as when placed on religion, sexual preferences, and race.

I understand that the bargaining process can be inherently slow. That's why WE (my particular union) do our bargaining, and pre-jobs (contract drafting processes) in the off-seasons, and before jobs are scheduled. We also lay 1 1/2 miles of 42" pipe a day, compared to our non-union counterpart's 3/4-1 mile a day with a comparably sized crew.

Just so you know, I'm not calling you ignorant and I'm not trying to single you out. I'm just tired of getting on here and feeling like everyone's calling me lazy and slow all of the time because I chose to join a union, so I could better provide for myself and my family.

Anti-Gunners say all gun owners are redneck nut jobs with little %i*ks , self-esteem issues, and plans to overthrow the government. It seems fine around here if people get irritated and speak out against them when they talk $hi+. Us union members, however, stand up for OUR union's particular set of values, and work ethics and we get bashed harder than any anti-gunner's words with a lot of "If there's smoke, there's fire." innuendo.

The reason many folks conglomerate "unions" into "The Union" is because the upper management of the unions prefer them to be thought of so, because the political power of any organization derives from two sources: the number of votes it can influence and the amount of money it can contribute to politicians. If the IBEW (for example) were unaffiliated with any other trade union, it would have less political power than if it were allied with the AFL-CIO and could add its membership numbers to the total of all those in other affiliated unions. The decision of "The Union" to side predominantly with a political party that outwardly supports them, but in actuality has been been promoting and implementing policies that are destroying the economy they need for survival has put union members in the unenviable position of supporting the very politicians who are destroying their job prospects. For those of us on the outside, it's almost amusing to watch dyed-in-the-wool union fanatics defend the politicians who are causing their jobs to go away, all the while railing against the politicians who are trying to save their jobs.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Unions have been the great equalizing factor for ALL of working America. Even in the non-union workplace, their affects are felt in higher and more competitive wages, to compete with union shops. They might not be as good, but they are better off than without union competition. Without unions, we will have but two classes remaining in this country, poor and the elites, (upper).

I didn't learn this as a worker, but as an undergraduate and graduate student in business school.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The reason many folks conglomerate "unions" into "The Union" is because the upper management of the unions prefer them to be thought of so, because the political power of any organization derives from two sources: the number of votes it can influence and the amount of money it can contribute to politicians. If the IBEW (for example) were unaffiliated with any other trade union, it would have less political power than if it were allied with the AFL-CIO and could add its membership numbers to the total of all those in other affiliated unions. The decision of "The Union" to side predominantly with a political party that outwardly supports them, but in actuality has been been promoting and implementing policies that are destroying the economy they need for survival has put union members in the unenviable position of supporting the very politicians who are destroying their job prospects. For those of us on the outside, it's almost amusing to watch dyed-in-the-wool union fanatics defend the politicians who are causing their jobs to go away, all the while railing against the politicians who are trying to save their jobs.

Excellent post.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Unions have been the great equalizing factor for ALL of working America. Even in the non-union workplace, their affects are felt in higher and more competitive wages, to compete with union shops. They might not be as good, but they are better off than without union competition. Without unions, we will have but two classes remaining in this country, poor and the elites, (upper).

I didn't learn this as a worker, but as an undergraduate and graduate student in business school.

Not surprising since even the business departments have been infiltrated by Marxists.

Unions have been an equalizing factor across much of the spectrum. This is a point against them, however, not for them.

Union laws and union bargaining have led to higher wages across the board sometimes. In other ways the policies have led to unemployment. Prices are information. Wages are a form of price. When you raise the price of something above what it's actually worth, people just don't buy it. They find other ways to get what they want at the real worth not the artificial one. One of the factors that has led to jobs moving overseas.

We don't have classes in this country. Marxist mythology. We have lots more economic diversity than most other countries. "Class" is an outmoded way of thinking. In the U.S. if you are in the bottom rung of the economic ladder today, you are statistically more likely to be on the top rung ten years from now than you are to still be in the bottom in the same amount of time.

Your professors and their texts lied to you.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Kudos to ...

... your Mother and Father. Remember them as you have and raise your own children. My greatest joy is to have my grandchildren wait to eat until I have prayed for the food and them, at dinner. Even at McD's. I think we have yet to see "America's Greatest Generation" come into play. And work. And war. EBG
    :yesway::yesway: Agreed and I'm only 28, see not all of us in this generation are lost.:D

wranglerdoug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    Its easy to blame unions for everything.Maybe we should look at The $50,000 I make compared to the CEO of the company making in excess of 4.5 million with his pay and bonuses HOW MUCH IS THAT PER HOUR Corporate greed is whats killing AMERICA

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Its easy to blame unions for everything.Maybe we should look at The $50,000 I make compared to the CEO of the company making in excess of 4.5 million with his pay and bonuses HOW MUCH IS THAT PER HOUR Corporate greed is whats killing AMERICA

Lots and lots of people can do your job. Only a handful of people can do your CEO's job.

Prices are information. Compensation is a price. Prices tell you what something is worth.

You're worth 50K a year, your CEO is worth 4.5 Million. That's not greed, that's just a fact, like gravity.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    your CEO is worth 4.5 Million.

Now I have every reason to believe you're just trolling. Unsubscribed.

Being in one of these threads is kind of like being the only "uppity" indian (which I am) at a barn dance. So much prejudice it's bordering on funny. I should have never opened a thread containing "Union" in the title.

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Now I have every reason to believe you're just trolling. Unsubscribed.

Being in one of these threads is kind of like being the only "uppity" indian (which I am) at a barn dance. So much prejudice it's bordering on funny. I should have never opened a thread containing "Union" in the title.

I find it hilarious that you think something that is obvious on its face, and a provable fact through simple logic, is trolling.

To use your words, "so much prejudice it's bordering on funny."

You certainly should never have opened a thread with "Union" in the title if your skin is so thin that I offend you through civil discussion.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why a laborer has any right whatsoever to tell a property owner how they are allowed to use their property.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why a laborer has any right whatsoever to tell a property owner how they are allowed to use their property.

Because the property owner (in other words "thief, because property is theft) exploits the sweat of the honest working man's brow, so the working man joins with all the other working men in a collective, called the union, and with just a wee bit of help from men with guns, the working man gets a little piece back from what the rich man stole.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Because the property owner (in other words "thief, because property is theft) exploits the sweat of the honest working man's brow, so the working man joins with all the other working men in a collective, called the union, and with just a wee bit of help from men with guns, the working man gets a little piece back from what the rich man stole.

I get it. Reparations.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The UAW here has finally started to make meaningful concessions.

They watched the Brass plant close, they watched the Chrysler plant close, they watched the GM steel stamping plant close, they watched the Navistar plant close, etc.

I was actually shocked to see them concede to take the same bonus pay and insurance as the rest of the salaried work force.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Your professors and their texts lied to you.

Probably so.............but I feel good about only paying $30-$35 per credit hour when I went, and I went to real universities, away from home, and met my professors in person..............as opposed to these ever popular .com degree schools. :D

I got that going for me. ;)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The UAW here has finally started to make meaningful concessions.

They watched the Brass plant close, they watched the Chrysler plant close, they watched the GM steel stamping plant close, they watched the Navistar plant close, etc.

I was actually shocked to see them concede to take the same bonus pay and insurance as the rest of the salaried work force.

Hardee...Hardee...Harr...Harr.....Now you're just trollin';)

Top Bottom