• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    My dad and I dealt with a underground bumble bee hive, at night when its really dark out, we poured kerosene down the hole and lit the fuel...killed off the hive, some managed to crawl out before dying

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Bugzapper laid directly over the hole, and a few firecrackers to get them stirred up. Do it at night, grab a beer and enjoy the show. :)

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    We just found a yellow jacket nest in the ground this weekend, or should I say the wife found it...after they stung her. I declared war with wasp spray, since they were right by my foundation I was afraid to gas them. It worked well. Took me 2 nights....but they are gone.

I would probably go with gas or kerosene if they are out from the house.

When I worked on the golf course we had a hornets nest in a tree above a tee where people were always standing...the boss told me to do away with it. I got me a pole about 20' long and put an fuel oil soaked rag on it, lit the rag and put under the nest about midnight. That was the neatest air show I ever seen. Them hornets would come out and their wings would catch fire...1,000's of them spiraling to the ground!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've put sevin dust in the entrance to kill them with success. Wait till dark and pour it in.

Not as exiting, and no flaming death, but it gets the job done.

This. Dust the hole after dusk and wait. They'll be gone in a day or two. Worked for my infestation of wasps under my siding. Though Since the opening was on the underside of an overhang, I had to rig a dispenser to get the dust up inside instead of letting them track it in. 10' 1/2" tubing. One end on the blowgun on my compressor. I put about half a cup of powder in the other end of the tube, then after dark I shoved the tube up inside the opening and gave it a quick blast from the compressor, covering the entire void with poison. They were gone in days.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    fighting hornets isn't even worth doing without flaming death, A trip to the fireworks store is in order! Get several roman candles, a dozen mortar balls and a gallon of gas for the clean-up.

I second the motion on clemency for honey bees. A close look at real bees reveals a cute furry little critter, too much like puppies. It aint good form to torture and burn puppies.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Boiling water is a good option provided the nest is small, and passages vertical, but that is not guaranteed by any means. I still think pouring gasoline in the dirt is a bad idea, but I guess you can do with your well water what you want, and I'll protect mine (not that a cup is probably going to do much...but I don't like the taste of Benzene).

I personally never had an issue killing the entire hives with just a can of Raid after dark. I use the ENTIRE can, and let the foam run down the entrance and into the nest.

Be careful though...there are always sentries right at the mouth, so hold off a foot or two, get the stream going and your aim straight, and once you hit the sentries and blow them back into the tunnel, do NOT stop spraying until the can is dry.

I then usually resort to running, just to be sure.

-Nate

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Another thing you can do is get a cooler and plumb a tubing from the cooler(must be airtight) into the entrance of the hive at night....fill cooler with 5 pounds of dry ice and water...

Co2 will sink and pretty sure it will peacefully kill them without a fight....

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Meh... Some of this is WAY too complicated.

Go spend $5 on some Raid Wasp & Hornet killer. Spritz the hell out of the entrance. I've used this stuff several times on nests and it just drops 'em dead.

If they're really hardy two (2) cans, but it shouldn't take more than that.

Regards,

Doug

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    This. Dust the hole after dusk and wait. They'll be gone in a day or two. Worked for my infestation of wasps under my siding. Though Since the opening was on the underside of an overhang, I had to rig a dispenser to get the dust up inside instead of letting them track it in. 10' 1/2" tubing. One end on the blowgun on my compressor. I put about half a cup of powder in the other end of the tube, then after dark I shoved the tube up inside the opening and gave it a quick blast from the compressor, covering the entire void with poison. They were gone in days.

Just yesterday, I was out in my little barn in the back yard and I heard that familiar dull humming sound. Walked around the side and saw Yellow Jackets coming and going in the gap under the eave. This is the second time I've had a nest there. The last one I went at it after dark with a shop vac. I set an electric lantern off to the side, and using a stick taped to the vac hose, I "chewed" away at the nest and vac'ed the whole thing up, including all the wasps that flew to the lantern. Then I just taped up the end of the hose when I turned the vac off and they were all dead the next morning.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Grab a stool, can of wd-40 and a long handle lighter and go to town.

Im killing bees, not training a lion.

^This back and forth really cracked me up.

As to the issue at hand - I'm in the kerosene after dark and light a match club. Works very well and is fun. If you're out of kerosene and have to use gasoline, I would recommend making a trail of gas 10-15 feet away from the next and light it from there. Or stand 10-15 feet away and throw a pack of firecrackers. I've 'heard' both will work.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

As to the issue at hand - I'm in the kerosene after dark and light a match club. Works very well and is fun. If you're out of kerosene and have to use gasoline, I would recommend making a trail of gas 10-15 feet away from the next and light it from there. Or stand 10-15 feet away and throw a pack of firecrackers. I've 'heard' both will work.

you mean like this guy? NEVER EVER use Gas or any other explosive liquid. Only flammables like Kerosene, diesel, etc.

ETA: NSFW language. Turn down your speakers, there is nothing worth listening to.

[video=youtube;3f4lPzxSm5A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f4lPzxSm5A[/video]

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I checked back on the nest today. There was WAY less activity (after I dumped gas down the hole) but I did notice a second, smaller hole. :joke: I'm not sure if it was there all along and I never noticed it or if I didnt put enough gas in the first time and they just built another hole to get away from the gas.

I was thinking about gassing again after sun down but with thunderstorms rolling in, I just had a vision of myself out in the yard with a gas can getting hit by lightning.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010

Thanks. I once had a first date in college end by the girl telling me "never assume youre funny". Im not sure how that relates the post.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Had a bunch of the big ground hornets living under my driveway years ago. Aggressive suckers and huge, over an inch long and sounding like death on wings. I was out of wasp/hornet spray so I grabbed some spray adhesive. Hit one in the air and his wings stuck together. Dammned if the sucker didn't run at me after he hit the driveway. He met Mr. Foot.

So that night, I poured about a quart of gasoline down the crack where I saw them coming in and out. Wife stopped me before I could drop the match. She knew what I was up to... I swear she was watching me all evening thinking I was up to something. Gas did the trick. But it would have been more fun with fire.

She also caught me using road flares in mole tunnels... she never lets me have any fun.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ...............I was thinking about gassing again after sun down but with thunderstorms rolling in, I just had a vision of myself out in the yard with a gas can getting hit by lightning.

I'm picturing that in my mind....... and I find myself smiling...... :D

Top Bottom