• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Unbelievable: Police prevent drivers from pulling over and viewing Mt. Rushmore | Twitchy

Here's my take on this...

There will be a tragedy coming soon. Either a citizen is going to kill a cop or a cop is going to kill a civilian. The Dems have left no alternative. The public is no longer in a mood to put up with this nonsense. There is going to be a collision between a fed up citizen and a heavy handed cop and It will happen in the next few days

We are seeing the true heart of many cops. We have not heard a single story about a cop refusing to go along with this kind of nonsense. They have willing cleared the vets from the Viet Nam Memorial, and enforced other areas that are closed.

Unless the cops are willing to police themselves, unless they are willing to come forward and say, "we are not going to participate in this fundamental denial of the citizens' rights" then why should we trust any cop?

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Quite an extrapolation Jack. Government shutdown to Cops are Untrustworthy!

On the positive side, you'll probably never see Bush or Obama added to the Rushmore monument.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    WOW!! Just WOW!!

These complete and total idiots are spending more money closing
    down this stuff that keeping them open.

This government is completely broken and it doesn't work anymore.

All these complete idiots must be voted out or we are doomed as a country.

I wish that was around here cause I feel like a scenic cruse right now, complete
    with some run over traffic cones.

Jimmy

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Unless the cops are willing to police themselves, unless they are willing to come forward and say, "we are not going to participate in this fundamental denial of the citizens' rights" then why should we trust any cop?

not saying this is not stupid, because it is, but what is there to "police up"? what denial of citizens rights is going on? what order is, albeit really stupid, unlawful?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    And what if I were to stop and pull over? Under what authority would I be detained? I'm surprised they found enough officers willing to enforce this nonsense.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Why would the LEOs not follow an order? They would then be punished for being insubordinate and another JBT would come along and willingly do it with a smile. It needs to come from higher up. The CLEO, County Sheriff, or whoever needs to set the example that this behavior is intolerable.

War Memorials
    National Parks
    Oceans
    Mt. Rushmore
    ...will the list end?

When is enough finally enough?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Cops actively patrol the stretch of I70 near the Mount Comfort exit during the air show and prevent drivers from pulling over to watch the planes. I didn't see you or anyone else *****ing and moaning about that. Stopping on the roadway or shoulder is not permitted any other time so why should it be now? It sucks that the monuments are closed but it ain't the cops fault.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Cops actively patrol the stretch of I70 near the Mount Comfort exit during the air show and prevent drivers from pulling over to watch the planes. I didn't see you or anyone else *****ing and moaning about that. Stopping on the roadway or shoulder is not permitted any other time so why should it be now? It sucks that the monuments are closed but it ain't the cops fault.

Follow the link and look at the picture. They are preventing people from entering the parking lots which lead to the viewing areas. Nobody parks on the shoulder.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    You can't really expect LEO to disobey orders and put their job in jeopardy to stand up for citizens. That is an unrealistic expectation.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    well, in this case the order is lawful.

Sorry, purple was implied. I just don't see anybody having the grit to defy an order that comes from the top. Either the Prez or someone on his staff have the order and it made it's way entirely down the CoC without a problem. ***** rolls down hill and those further down the hill have a harder time stopping the snowball effect.

I did look at the pic and I can't make heads or tails out of it. To me it just looks like the shoulder is coned-off.

I've been a couple times and there is a parking lot to pull off and get out/walk around/take pics. They have the same thing throughout the Smokies where the senic views are abundant.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    The cones are (were) blocking designated areas to safely pull off the road and view the monument. This has nothing to do with "safety" and preventing people from pulling onto the shoulder. On a bright note the cones are actually GONE now as a blizzard has hit the Black Hills and the cones may or may not have been a casualty of a snow plow. At any length they are currently not up and the locals are anxiously waiting to see what will happen once the snow melts. It also seems that South Dakota has offered up state funds to keep the areas open but were declined.

bilde

I have been there recently and this picture clearly shows a scenic turn off where one can safely exit the road and park to view the "scenic"

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    not saying this is not stupid, because it is, but what is there to "police up"? what denial of citizens rights is going on? what order is, albeit really stupid, unlawful?

There are legal places along the highway to pull over to catch a glance of the monument. They were put there to keep people from rubbernecking and creating a hazard. There is absolutely no reason, no rational for coning off these areas.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Why would the LEOs not follow an order? They would then be punished for being insubordinate and another JBT would come along and willingly do it with a smile. It needs to come from higher up. The CLEO, County Sheriff, or whoever needs to set the example that this behavior is intolerable.

War Memorials
    National Parks
    Oceans
    Mt. Rushmore
    ...will the list end?

When is enough finally enough?

Yep, the officers at the lowest end were just following orders.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    There are legal places along the highway to pull over to catch a glance of the monument. They were put there to keep people from rubbernecking and creating a hazard. There is absolutely no reason, no rational for coning off these areas.

Sure there is Jack. To make the shut down as painful for the citizens as possible.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom