• actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    From Oleg Volk

[h=5]Oleg Volk shared Minnesota Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance's photo.[/h]March 10 at 4:19pm ·

Since the speech had to be truncated for time, here's its full text:
    Thank you for coming here today!
    Coming to America from the USSR in 1989, I knew of the culture of freedom through books – had to learn it for myself in the more complex reality. My interest in the Second Amendment developed right between the 1989 Import ban and the 1994 so-called Assault Weapons ban, causing me to worry that I came too late to save America from its own politicians. Fortunately, as today's gathering illustrates, I was in good company and we have made much progress since.
    To uphold a right, we must understand it. The purpose of individual gun ownership is Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness.
    Life – firearms are, first and foremost, weapons for self-defense from predators, animal or human. I cannot be a bodyguard to every one of my friends simultaneously, nor would I want to impose myself on them even for their benefit. But I can provide or facilitate training and tools for them to protect themselves, a gift of independence – and trust.
    Helping another person become self-sufficient in personal security is a very sincere way to illustrate respect for their judgment, faith in their peaceful intentions and to pledge perpetual non-aggression. No person harboring ill intentions would provide defensive skills or tools to the prospective victim, right?
    Liberty – an armed and trained populace is a necessary precondition for a meaningful political process.
    When the people at large are disarmed, their voices may be safely ignored. It's not that a government agency can't kill a few armed dissenters, but that the resources to do so are disproportionately greater. It's no surprise that people who escaped Communist or Nazi dictatorships are usually strong supporters of the right to keep and bear arms. One armed individual is no match for a hostile organization, same as a lone peaceable porcupine is no match for a cougar or a pack of wolves. But most predators avoid porcupines in favor of less dangerous prey. Should deterrence fail, defensive arms work much like air bags in cars – an emergency measure that may save lives if a crash happens despite our best efforts for avoidance.
    Our ideals of personal liberty and self-determination are attractive to reasonable people. So we gain by educating others, by popularizing the ideas and by converting the fence-sitters and foes alike. Our guns give us a chance to do so unmolested. Absent an armed population, we would see far more abuse by local politicians and enforcement organizations, and greater restrictions on freedom of speech. We do see comparatively high levels of such abuse precisely in the states where personal weapons are restricted, such as New Jersey and New York.
    Happiness – we gain it through recreational use, the same way we enjoy playing music or practicing crafts. We might collect guns to understand history better, or for their mechanical variety.
    But the greatest source of happiness is being in greater control of your own destiny. Depression is closely tied to learned helplessness. Happiness is closely tied to independence. Guns make us happier by giving us greater control over our own fate. It's no surprise that entirely gun-less Japan leads the industrialized world in suicides.
    Researchers wonder why people are less nervous about driving than about flying, despite the lower number of fatalities per mile traveled. I don't wonder at all: drivers are much more in control of their own destinies than airline passengers are, so they feel more confident. Taking charge of personal defense and circumspect behavior improve the chances of being able to meet future challenges, same as taking additional driving courses and being circumspect would make us safer travelers. Conversely, outsourcing our personal safety to others would get us TSA-like results: no safety and no dignity, either. Not a happy outcome.
    Growing up in the USSR, I was entirely behind the curve relative to the state. My parents brought me, at great personal risk, to America where I got a second chance. I try to use it well. I don't want to fight authoritarians as infantry, rather I'd like to deter them from fighting us, while we use the time and the opportunity to win hearts and minds of our fellow human beings in America and worldwide. Just as certain quaint notions like racism are no longer welcome in polite company, we can strive towards the world in which disarming innocent people is views with as much disfavor. We will do it peacefully, by personal example, through education, and our arms would be just the insurance of last resort against our foes trying to shut us up by force.

Minnesota Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance with Oleg Volk.Like PageMarch 10 at 12:23pm ·

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This little princess describes himself as a Social Democrat. PhD student. Instructor at wayne state. Critical theory and democracy.

pudsuCA.png

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Anybody except me think that the leftists are hoping for and actively importing these types for the sole reasons of attacks and hysteria to further their gun confiscation wet dreams?

Too tinfoily or right on target (pun).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Anybody except me think that the leftists are hoping for and actively importing these types for the sole reasons of attacks and hysteria to further their gun confiscation wet dreams?

makes you wonder.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Heh! At the risk of underestimating our political enemies...I'm not sure they're that smart. :D

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

It's a multi-front attack on the nation from the democrat party.

They get to celebrate getting their neighbors murdered, because they themselves won't step up to the plate to fight. They get to utilize the attacks to further their own political aims, and they get to import hundreds of thousands of democrat voters.

It's an actual take over in every since of the term, and the fact nobody is pointing it out or doing anything about it is offensive. The nation is at stake and will be destroyed if the left is allowed to bulldoze every last vestige of this great nation. Thinking of them as just being your kind hearted neighbor is a fallacy. There's no "kind hearted" person who wishes to have your rights undermined, those are called terrorists. Almost every law in this country is predicated upon the concept of whether someone's actions take away the rights of another, there's no reason to see this as being any different.

But it's just ignorance you say? Well inform them.

We used to tar and feather people like this in this country for a good reason. Tolerance eventually gets you killed.

A little economic dispute or an argument over health care and taxes is a football issue compared to people who wish to abolish or alter inalienable natural rights retained by the people.

Last edited:

JS1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    I love the one about sending SEAL Team Six to my house to take my guns... Any politician thinking SEAL Team Six (or any other entity which truly understands the Constitution) would carry out such a mission is sorely mistaken. What would happen instead... I'll leave that one right there. You either get it or you don't. And I think most of INGO gets it.

Well said. There might be some doughnut scarfing fascists on the local police forces that would carry out such an order, but certainly not the SEALS.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well said. There might be some doughnut scarfing fascists on the local police forces that would carry out such an order, but certainly not the SEALS.

There would be incredibly few. Probably the same percentage convicted of official misconduct. I have a few family members in the military and I have seen far more anti-gun rhetoric from that circle than from my cop buddies. Actually, the ONLY anti-gun statement I have heard from my circle of LE is that one thinks non-LEO open carry is a tactical mistake.

JS1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    There would be incredibly few. Probably the same percentage convicted of official misconduct. I have a few family members in the military and I have seen far more anti-gun rhetoric from that circle than from my cop buddies. Actually, the ONLY anti-gun statement I have heard from my circle of LE is that one thinks non-LEO open carry is a tactical mistake.

I certainly HOPE there would only be a small few cops that would do such a thing.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom