• ...and so much more!
  • Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    And yet you leave out the part where they get the car at 1% below the cost the dealership gets the vehicle for. MSRP does not equal dealership cost. It is not a 1:1 thing.
    I never said anything about employees discount because that had always been there, although it isn't as good as it once was.
    You was the one that brought it in the conversation.
    Once again if MSRP goes up $1000 then employee pricing and dealership cost will also increase by $1000 it doesn't matter what kind of discount it Is it will increase $1000.
    I can type it and try to explain it but I can't make you understand it.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I never said anything about employees discount because that had always been there, although it isn't as good as it once was.
    Once again if MSRP goes up $1000 then employee pricing and dealership cost will also increase by $1000 it doesn't matter what kind of discount it Is it will increase $1000.
    Bottom line is us, the consumer, will pay the UAWs new rates...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If the UAW wanted their fair share of the profits, they could all get together, and divert funds to a stock purchase program of their companies. Then they would actually be responsible for their part of the companies ownership. But they want all that benefit without taking the risk of investing. Those profits do not belong to them, those profits belong to the people who ponied up the dough to make those investments. But that is none of my business... Oh wait as an investor, no matter how small, it is my business

IIRC some part of the Delphi salaried performance award was mandated in stock.
    That whole damn GM spinoff was criminal.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    And I can't make you understand that Dealer prices, don't always go up 1:1 with msrp. Sometimes the when MSRP goes up by $1000, the price the dealership pays is the same, or may only go up by $400. Then once you add in the interest paid over the time of the loan, that extra that the customer pays doubles or even triples.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    And I can't make you understand that Dealer prices, don't always go up 1:1 with msrp. Sometimes the when MSRP goes up by $1000, the price the dealership pays is the same, or may only go up by $400. Then once you add in the interest paid over the time of the loan, that extra that the customer pays doubles or even triples.
    And you would be wrong.
    I can Speak about GM and don't know for sure where you got your Info about the others but GM's is based on MSRP.
    Every GM vehicle is different and even the options discount is different on different models and trim levels.
    They have price increases several times during the year and sometimes they have two identical vehicles on the lot with different prices.
    GM employee discount price difference in those two vehicles is exactly the same as MSRP price difference.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I don't accept the interest portion of your argument. Pay cash for what you can afford. Have a budget. Buy used. You control the interest paid.

Dealership price is a wholesale price and MSRP is what I think of as sticker?

I figured that had a profit margin %. And that was kept relatively constant barring supply demand upsets like we have had in recent years.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    To believe that an increase in labor cost will not affect selling price is a fallacy. IT will. How much? Time will tell. I swear some people think money just magically comes from rich people or something.
    The things that influence price are: costs (which includes labor), competition, supply/demand, and perception. The average portion of the cost of a new vehicle is 15%. But that doesn't mean that if you increase labor costs that the price of the vehicle will rise proportionately. Prices can drop even when costs increase, because of the other factors. Supply/Demand and perception can have quite an impact on prices.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I don't accept the interest portion of your argument. Pay cash for what you can afford. Have a budget. Buy used. You control the interest paid.

Dealership price is a wholesale price and MSRP is what I think of as sticker?

I figured that had a profit margin %. And that was kept relatively constant barring supply demand upsets like we have had in recent years.
    You also have dealer markup.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Autoworkers haven't had a raise in 15 years and the price of new trucks has almost doubled in those 15 years.
    Labor is a very small part of the price of a new vehicle.
    Prices have went up over 15 years and will continue to go up with or without the new contract but I guess we can blame the workers who have no control over the prices and have to pay the same as everyone else.
    What the heck dose the price of a finished product have to do with what a worker makes? Labor has a market value that is irrelevant to the market value of the finished product…

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    What the heck dose the price of a finished product have to do with what a worker makes? Labor has a market value that is irrelevant to the market value of the finished product…
    There is a difference between cost and value

Top Bottom