• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Very rare. Stereotypes generally come from prejudice and bigotry not majority traits.
    I think it’s more often than rare. And coming from prejudice and bigotry is not mutually exclusive from not majority traits. In other words, just because it’s not majoring traits does not make it necessarily bigotry and prejudice. Sometimes negative stereotypes do. A bigot is unlikely to be completely honest about the thing and will embellish or just make **** up. But not all stereotypes derive from bigots. And not all the ones derived from bigots are false.

Every single stereotype I’ve applied to union workers I’ve experienced myself working with them. My outlook on unions comes in part from that experience.

The error with stereotypes is applying it to everyone in the group, not that stereotypes exist at all. In the case of my experience, it’s not even a majority. But it’s not an insignificant minority either.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I think it’s more often than rare. And coming from prejudice and bigotry is not mutually exclusive from not majority traits. In other words, just because it’s not majoring traits does not make it necessarily bigotry and prejudice. Sometimes negative stereotypes do. A bigot is unlikely to be completely honest about the thing and will embellish or just make **** up. But not all stereotypes derive from bigots. And not all the ones derived from bigots are false.

Every single stereotype I’ve applied to union workers I’ve experienced myself working with them. My outlook on unions comes in part from that experience.

The error with stereotypes is applying it to everyone in the group, not that stereotypes exist at all. In the case of my experience, it’s not even a majority. But it’s not an insignificant minority either.
    So you are saying that the majority of union members match your stereotypes? You formed them from a small sample size, and I wonder if even a majority of those you knew actually matched it.

Again, the original claim was they are all based on a characteristic of the majority. You are agreeing that is not true, yet you are arguing against it not being true. So which is it? Are all stereotypes based upon a majority representation or not?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So you are saying that the majority of union members match your stereotypes? You formed them from a small sample size, and I wonder if even a majority of those you knew actually matched it.

Again, the original claim was they are all based on a characteristic of the majority. You are agreeing that is not true, yet you are arguing against it not being true. So which is it? Are all stereotypes based upon a majority representation or not?
    I mean. Do you read?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Nothing could be further from the truth. For instance some truths are situational. Take the sky for instance. On a sunny summer afternoon, if someone asked if the sky were blue, it would be true. However 9 hours later if you were say say the sky is blue, it would be false, because the sky would be black or whatever the reasonable similar color would be.

You’d want to state things in a way that’s always true. What color is the sky? Well at the moment it appears blue. Earlier today it appeared more blue.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I do. Do you?
    C’mon man. Of course I do. I’m still left puzzled by your response. You said…
    So you are saying that the majority of union members match your stereotypes?

The post you replied to said, “it’s not even a majority.” Surely you can understand why I might ask what I asked. If I explicitly state it’s not a majority, then I am certainly NOT saying it IS a majority! Maybe it’s a problem with translation. :dunno:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI

I don't understand... These guys walked off a job paying way above the job worth (evident by the amount of temps working the jobs), all shooting themselves in the foot. Then they complain about it affecting their money. Meanwhile the big three are sitting back during the economic downturn glad they don't have to pay money out for vehicles that are sitting on lots. I kinda wonder what is affecting the company more, the lost sales from the economy or the workers walking out. I'd really like to see if the sales numbers for the imported vehicles go up and if the Big Three can make $$$ on their import vehicles in the US. No matter what, I bet Toyota, Honda, Kia, and VW are loving this. Lets be honest, no one is buying a Toyota and then going back to US manufactures once they see how much less their maintenance costs are.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I just saw the Stellantis comment on the new walk out. They have been waiting in a counter offer from the UAW and what they got was a walk out. Doesn’t sound like bargaining in good faith to me

Top Bottom