37439857.jpg

How's that for standardized testing?

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    If we are thinking in terms of our system and expectations (or lack thereof), is this comparable to Mexico's system? Are we sure this strike has anything to do with teacher evaluations or is it the reduction of power of "corruption-ridden unions". If some Mexican teachers are hired due to "legacy" and not worthy, evals could be a huge concern.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If we are thinking in terms of our system and expectations (or lack thereof), is this comparable to Mexico's system? Are we sure this strike has anything to do with teacher evaluations or is it the reduction of power of "corruption-ridden unions". If some Mexican teachers are hired due to "legacy" and not worthy, evals could be a huge concern.

Yes, it includes evaluations.

The bill introduces teacher evaluations and reduces the power of corruption-ridden unions in hiring teachers, many of whom inherit their jobs from relatives under current rules.

I doubt that there could possibly exist any form of evaluations that resulted in any amount of accountability that would be accepted by public school teachers.

We should really expand this excuse to other professions, in my opinion.

Pediatricians: "You expect children to improve under my care?? How can I do that? Parents don't take good care of their children!"

Mechanics: "You expect me to actually repair cars? People don't take good care of their cars! That is their own fault! I should be paid for my failures to repair them!"

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    My daughter, her teacher, the principle and the staff were all allowed to open carry in her school and during class.
    Her 4th period her class was target shooting .

The educators at her school get evaluated all the time and pass with flying colors.

Suck on that one - Public Schools.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yes, it includes evaluations.

I doubt that there could possibly exist any form of evaluations that resulted in any amount of accountability that would be accepted by public school teachers.

We should really expand this excuse to other professions, in my opinion.

Pediatricians: "You expect children to improve under my care?? How can I do that? Parents don't take good care of their children!"

Mechanics: "You expect me to actually repair cars? People don't take good care of their cars! That is their own fault! I should be paid for my failures to repair them!"

In sure that would work with a production supervisor. It's not your fault you can't meet your quotas. Your employees just don't want to work.

Or pro sports managers. They can't go to the plate themselves to bat or the mound to pitch. Or throw the 50 yard pass for a completion. Or make the 50 yard field goal.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Huh. I figured Ingotarians would oppose federal reach into state and local education. Go figure.

Besides, boiling this issue down to teacher evaluations is intellectually lazy. A strike has occurred every year for the past 40 years in this very poor region of southern Mexico. Infrasturcture isn't the best, some schools don't have electricity, and government reach isn't strong. Technology in classrooms is nonexistent. Sometimes things go violent and local officials hire death squads to put down protests. 2006 saw 20 teachers gunned down. The previous union president, who was a stooge of federal officials, was recently arrested for embezzling funds. In pure Saddam fashion, she somehow was elected for the past 20 years. Mexico is very corrupt at every turn.

But, I realize that this is supposed to be a teacher bashing, ego stroking thread. Carry on.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    While there seem to be various cultural factors that are creating a difficult climate for educators, educational standards have been in decline since the 50's - at least - with students being taught less and less of apparent relevance to their adult aspirations. When poor asian nations have nearly 100% literacy rates, it's unconscionable that America doesn't have similar success. As 88GT rightfully points out, it seems many of America's teachers are more concerned with keeping their jobs than with educating their students to even the lousy standards of the day. The concept of "keeping Johnny with his age mates" rather than holding him back until he meets the minimum standards for his grade level has damaged the credibility of education administrators beyond easy repair, and their arrogant assumption that they know what's best for our students, combined with their dismal overall results generally completes the destruction of our faith that they know what they're doing.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    medtox
    Top Bottom