• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Killed my second bird in Kentucky this morning so I'm tagged out here. My buddy tagged out opening day back home so we came down to try to get him a couple here. Sitting in the blind as I type this, just heard a gobble off in the distance. Fingers crossed....

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I am taking both of my boys tomorrow morning. My bud whose farm(s) we are hunting on has served as guide to 5 kills in 3 days. He is taking my younger son, I'm taking my older son. It will be the first turkey hunt for both boys. Confirmed scatterguns are in kill mode again this evening, even though we knew they were (two exceited sons). I can't wait.

Dirty Steve

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    This afternoon...

Day late and a dollar short.. Story of my life .. Walking in during an after noon hunt I slow down and look around the south end of our field. Sure enough there was 4 hens and a strutting gobbler in the field and I'm standing in the lane.. What to do?

I tried sitting and calling but all that did was make him strut more for his hens. Mind you I'm in my black long sleeve T shirt for hunting out of a blind. I just hoped to get a shot before they figured out I wasn't a black tree stump.

To make a long story short, he wanted no part of looking for another hen when he had 4. He dropped out of strut, picked a little, left the field, crossed a ditch and went up into the woods opposite of my blind. The hens soon followed. I crawled back out and walked back aways and cut through a stand of pines to access the back side of my blind. That gave them another 15 minutes to get on up in the woods aways... hopefully out of sight.

I got in the blind hoping against all odds that they will come back ... or another gobbler will come to the field and decoys.

Close, but no cigar...

I then pulled another boo boo.. Because of the wind I had the hen decoy double staked but the wind blew it loose from one of the stakes and it was spinning like a top.. I looked all over and then slipped out of the blind to fix it. 2 hens were in the ditch on the other side of the fallen tree and both took off. One running to the big pines and the other went air borne back towards the woods. I can't win for losing..

I ended up seeing 9 turkeys - including the two I scared the pee jabbers out of,.

Had a hen feed in the field for an hour.. No gobblers

I had a dropped horn buck come out and stare at the blind...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Jacked my neck and shoulder up at work last night, no way to bowhunt tomorrow.
    Got the 870 all ready.............noticed a dark stain on the bbl (just an old Express Supermag).
    Like an area of bluing got darker????? Thought it might have been there last yr, but lighter.
    I dunno, am kinda OCD about my stuff.
    Yeah, blast a gobbler and then Gunkote the turd.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I'm back on the food plot where I had the two fiascos yesterday at 3:45 PM. I got here at 1:45 PM today so I'm hoping they do a repeat to the field.

Time will tell..

PS.. The hen decoy us double stake GOOD this time..

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Nothing at my little local spot. Did hear a bunch of geese along the river, and found where a yote got one. The pee smell was horrible, and was right in the middle of the lone ridge bisecting the spot. Looked like it was the day before.

Was so not worth getting up with only 3 hrs sleep.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Nothing seen on yesterday evening's hunt (6 hours) nor again this morning (8 hours) . Did have a gobbler sound off pretty good this morning about 200 yard away but shut up when he hit the ground.

Tough season so far....

This is all I saw today. He appeared to me to be a three year old. He was pretty gaunt looking. His hip and shoulder bones were very pronounced..

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I had another hen run through my yard today. I think they are hiding out here from the hunters since we never see them in the yard and in the past week, I've been seeing them pretty much daily.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Took my first bird of the season today today. dunno why you all are having so much trouble. Just walked right in and there they were. I had to leave behind dozens.

Boy, the lady next to me in the aisle dropped her sausage and about wet her pants when she saw my shotgun.

:laugh:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Took my first bird of the season today today. dunno why you all are having so much trouble. Just walked right in and there they were. I had to leave behind dozens.

Boy, the lady next to me in the aisle dropped her sausage and about wet her pants when she saw my shotgun.

You must have been OCing. :lmfao:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County

A "friend" of mine sent this to me a couple years back...

woodyturkeys.jpg

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    My boy got his first turkey on the youth opener, a 17 lb. Jake

I got mine the afternoon of the regular opener, 25 lbs, 23mm spurs, 11 1/2 beard. He was turkey # 14 for me.

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Man... After all that thunder, lightening and rain yesterday and more coming this evening I thought the gobblers would be going nutso... Not so.. One gobbled about 5 minutes on the roost and that was it.

i could not believe that I heard two shots at 5:08 cst. That is 16 minutes before legal shooting time. Someone was doing a little "limb lifting".

buckhunter21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Southeast Indiana
    I killed mine on Sunday morning shortly after fly down.

From every thing I have been hearing Indiana is having a really good season this year. Lots of guys getting their bird, with a bunch of older birds being taken.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I killed mine on Sunday morning shortly after fly down.

From every thing I have been hearing Indiana is having a really good season this year. Lots of guys getting their bird, with a bunch of older birds being taken.

Yep, it was a good year for birds. When you talk to birds from shooting time and work them for an hour and tag out before 7:30 its a good time. Then having your buddy, who has never turkey hunted before, blast a mature tom in the afternoon. Calls for cold ones at the end of the day.:cheers:

Congrats to everyone who has filled their tag and good luck to those who haven't yet.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Still have my IN tag but I don't know if it'll get filled this year. Only saw one tom on the farm this year and the locals are in agreement that there are fewer birds around this spring than years past. I don't know if the winter took some of them out or what but it's a bummer for sure.

Top Bottom