• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Sat down to dinner tonight and saw a huge tom in the back yard at the edge of the woods. If we weren't eating fresh bluegill that we caught today, hubby might have had to go see if he could get it! He had three hens with him. Maybe they'll be back tomorrow:dunno:

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Spent last 2 days at Jefferson Proving Grounds hunting. Saw at least 30 birds. 5-6 toms. All from 100-1000yds. Also saw 2 coyotes I tried to get a shot on with a Howa 223. Dozens of deer.

Closest tom was just under 100yds but we couldn't get any off of the hens. Storms put a hinder on Monday morning hunt and cut short Tuesday evening. Going back on Sunday. Moving the mobile shoot house to a section of the runway that was turkey central.

It was pretty cool looking through the binos telling fellow hunters they have a bird coming up a blind spot while I'm 1000yds away. Out of 3 hunting pairs nobody got a shot this weekend.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    What are the rules of JPG?

That is a good question. My 2 buddies that got drawn only got to hunt 1 day, with a shotgun.
    Used to be you could show up and get in on a hunt if someone did not show up. I think that was done by drawing too. If he works there, it could be a different story. There is a day use area in the NE corner of it, but I don't think it goes as far south as the airfield.
    I have hunted JPG several times for turkey and deer over the years and have NEVER seen game in the numbers described above. It would be nice though. JPG has never allowed anyone on to scout, so it takes a few trips tp fine tune your stand location. I quit hunting there because it was such a pain in the butt for little to no result. Especially for turkey as it is not a bonus tag like deer.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I know on state park hunts for deer it is deer only. If they catch you shooting any other critter even if it is in season you are in trouble..

trophy hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    southern indiana
    i hunt in there every year, last time i heard someone ask joe (during deerseason) about shooting a yote he got a little po`ed and told them they not there to kill yotes..
    and how do you have a .223 while turkey hunting???

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    My taxidermist was scouting this morning to take a youth tomorrow and heard 6 or 7 gobblers just about where I was at yesterday and I heard very little. Funny how they turn it off and on..

I have seen 5 turkeys before I even got to my parking spot. A lone gobbler in a chisel plowed cornfield. A hen an old bean field and 3 hens from the road right at our property line and the adjacent property. They were only about 200 yards from the spot I am hunting. All the hens ran as soon as they saw the truck.

Pretty nice partially cloudy evening..slight wind.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    My oldest daughter Trevor (or T as we call her) has had a rough couple years of turkey hunting. After going on a string of turkeys for several years, in the past two years she was having trouble even seeing a male turkey. She hunted hard this year and we put a bunch of hens through the decoys, but jakes and toms were non-existent. So last evening while hunting a far corner of our woods, when I spotted a group of 6 Jakes cutting through, it was finally game on. I got on the Ghostmaker slate, got their attention, and here they came on almost a run to the DSD jake. It was over pretty fast as she settled in on the first one that gave her a good shot opportunity. 15 yards ... "BANG" ... flop ... and it was over.

The hunt is on video, but the camera man ... dad ... did not let go of the control arm at the shot and I tend to flinch real bad at gun shots, so the flop part isn't on video. Still I will throw a video together in the coming days.

Taking my daughters hunting is one of my greatest joys. So as one proud daddy, here is T and her 2014 Indiana turkey.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    My oldest daughter Trevor (or T as we call her) has had a rough couple years of turkey hunting. After going on a string of turkeys for several years, in the past two years she was having trouble even seeing a male turkey. She hunted hard this year and we put a bunch of hens through the decoys, but jakes and toms were non-existent. So last evening while hunting a far corner of our woods, when I spotted a group of 6 Jakes cutting through, it was finally game on. I got on the Ghostmaker slate, got their attention, and here they came on almost a run to the DSD jake. It was over pretty fast as she settled in on the first one that gave her a good shot opportunity. 15 yards ... "BANG" ... flop ... and it was over.

The hunt is on video, but the camera man ... dad ... did not let go of the control arm at the shot and I tend to flinch real bad at gun shots, so the flop part isn't on video. Still I will throw a video together in the coming days.

Taking my daughters hunting is one of my greatest joys. So as one proud daddy, here is T and her 2014 Indiana turkey.

Congrats to your daughter! I know how frustrating hunting any animal can be. But, when you put in years to seal the deal and it finally happens. There is a huge sense of relief.

That bird should cook up nicely!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Congrats to T! I went out Wednesday with a friend near Brookville lake for a last ditch effort to fill my IN tag but it wasn't to be. Had em gobbling all around us before daybreak but they clammed up and vanished as soon as they flew down. I'm eating my tag this year but filled two in KY and spent 9.5 days in the turkey woods so I have no complaints. Can't wait till next year!!!

Top Bottom