• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I took my mom to the airport this morning and since we had to get her checked in two hours early, it left us quite a bit of time to sit in the cafe next to the metal detector pass through and say our goodbyes.
    We watched several dozen people go through the whole "jacket, shoes, belt into the tub" deal and saw a few people patted down and wanded.
    Then something happened that made me incredibly mad.
    On the other side of the glass retaining wall where all the TSA magic happens, there was an elderly woman in a wheelchair being pushed past the metal detector. Two TSA thugs (one on either side of her) hoisted her out of the chair and one was standing behind the chair. That poor old woman was so frail and hunched over, she was obviously in a bit of pain and had an absolutely mortified look on her face. While the two thugs dangled her, the third awkwardly was shrugging her coat off of her and they all three looked like they were losing their grip enough that she might hit the floor any moment.
    Once they got her coat off, they continued to hold her as upright as she could be, but clearly her spine was too hunched and crooked to be anywhere near "upright". TSA thug #3 then proceeded to FRISK her! I don't mean the same type of pat down that other people setting off the walk through detector got...I mean they meant business of the body crevice kind.
    Once they sufficiently felt up her hiney, they plopped her into the chair that no one remembered to lock the wheels on... then they struggled to scoot her up in a better position.
    For her comfort? No...they had yet to yank her shoes off and frisk her from her thighs down.
    Thank God she wasn't the mad bomber that she clearly looked like! After all, she probably even had the nerve to knit an Afghan for some loved one at Christmas!!
    Feel safer yet?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Unfortunately, this is Common Practice for TSA and one reason that I am not flying more often. Same practice that they used on my 92 year old mother. Totally, uncalled for and ridiculous practice to have pretend security :xmad:

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Paul Blart TSA Cop!!

Rent a cops that couldn't make it with the real LEOs or in the military so showing their might with somebody like that gives them wood.

I bet they go to the bar afterwards and brag to each other about who or what they did during the day.

I feel sorry for the old lady. I install baggage handling equipment and even though I have a national security ID for all International and domestic airports all of my tools and equipment and myself are searched everyday. You think what you go through to get on a flight is bad imagine having armed security watching over you for 10 hrs a day while you are working. It wasn't bad after 9/11 when it was NG or the Feds but as it has been taken over by private security it has gotten unreal.

I understand the need for security but it has been pushed to the limit.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Disgusting.......... Same thing happened with my Grandmother though she was not in
    a wheelchair. She was deaf and did not understand why all the special treatment.
    She looked like an English speaking terrorist though........92 year old white lady with all her Grandkids and Great Grandkids taking her to Florida for the Holidays.
    The NEW rule is really getting under my skin. It does make you want to drive but she was in no condition to ride that far.
    Its only going to get worse too.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    Not only are they thugs but creeps. Went on vacation with our friends. My budd'ys wife passed through the security stuff and while putting her shoes back on, one TSA goon said to her "hey could you come back through, you smell good". I about ****. He said it loud enough that the other TSA females looked at him like OMG! What a creep. :noway:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I would like to say I am surprised by this, but I can't. When you hire people to do a job that has no real purpose, you get lazy and incompetent. You get people really wish they could have been LEO or Military, but either could not get off their lazy tails to do so or are unsat. And you get companies that have little idea what security actually is.

You want to feel safe in an airport/airplane go to Germany or Israel.

My .02 YMMV!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Ridiculous.:xmad: There are other ways. I wonder if a youtube video would expose this practice and possibly generate enough outcry for a policy change.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    A "small" amount of authority goes a long way in the wrong hands!
    But here is the other side of a similar story, got this in an email the other day
    There are still a few good people left around us.

Thank God!

Indianapolis airport

: True story at Indianapolis airport-worth reading!

Last Friday I was going through the Indianapolis Airport . People in the Security Checkline were grumbling about what nonsense the process was, blah, blah, blah. An elderly lady (in a different line) was struggling with her luggage, pocketbook, etc. She was also confused about what to do, how to do it, couldn't get her shoes off (and a host of other things). The Security Officials weren't helping the situation either (they can be mighty callous at times). I started to move her direction, but before I could get out of the line I was in, a gentleman (close by) sat down all of his stuff, and began to help the lady. I thought he looked familiar, but it didn't register; it was fascinating to see him come to her aid (nobody else was making a move to help!). He was talking to her, making conversation, helping her untie her shoes, putting her things in one of those bins, and making sure she was AT EASE. He helped her through the screening gate, then calmly put his things on the belt, went through and immediately began to help the lady put her shoes back on, gather her belongings, etc. In the meantime she had reached in her purse to show him pictures of her family. He made a big fuss over the photos, then asked for a wheelchair so he could get her to her gate. Honestly, it was a Hallmark script. They disappeared down the concourse together...he was pushing the wheelchair and she was jabbering with him. It made me smile...a lot. NOW HERE'S THE KICKER: I got through security and went to get something to drink. Just beyond the little restaurant was a group of people gathered, all excited, shaking hands, etc., and in the center of them was THE KIND GENTLEMAN.

> Guess who it was? TONY DUNGY, the recently retired coach of the Indianapolis Colts! I looked at his hand and, SURE 'NUFF there was the HUGE diamond Super Bowl ring.
    >
    > The point: The elderly lady didn't know who he was, or care WHO HE IS, or would even have known had she been told. HE DID THE RIGHT THING FOR THE RIGHT REASON.

> Important people serve others with a sense of purpose. These kinds of things are still THE BEST LESSONS EVER.
    > Thanks for letting me share it.

Mr. Jerry M. Pittsford

English Teacher

Edgewood Junior High School

876-2005 X368

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I would like to say I am surprised by this, but I can't. When you hire people to do a job that has no real purpose, you get lazy and incompetent. You get people really wish they could have been LEO or Military, but either could not get off their lazy tails to do so or are unsat. And you get companies that have little idea what security actually is.

This, plus I am reminded of the Stanford Prison Experiment.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Folks....do we not recall that on the morning of September 11, 2001, 2,794 innocent people died when 19 terrorists hijacked 4 aircraft and used them as killing machines? While I understand that seeing an elderly woman searched before boarding an aircraft is not pleasant....do you really not see the necessity in it?

Let me assure you that wheelchairs have many places to hide weapons....from ice picks to handguns....and I'm sure explosives. And if I'm hell bent on bringing down an aircraft or commandeering one to fly into another building to make a political statement....what better mule for weapons to be later commanded by a terrorist group than the elderly. "Hey mom, how would you like to fly to Vegas with me?" I firmly believe the next group of terrorists to strike U.S. soil won't necessarily have dark hair and eyes or come from the Middle East. Let me assure you that I've seen more than one frail looking person sitting in a wheel chair get up and run like a jack rabbit....and have personally pulled a concealed firearm from a wheelchair. I'm not saying she could have, or would have....but metal detectors do nothing when used to search a metal object. At that point it's hands on to be sure.

While I do sincerely sympathize....I urge you to see the necessity in it. Imagine your displeasure and grief if your wife or child were on a flight blown up by a terrorist that was not thoroughly checked by those charged with the task.

I do agree however, that a private security company should not be left with the task of seeing the skies are safe. If it were up to me that task would have been left to the U.S. military. Any member of such a team that doesn't do his or her job thoroughly or professionally should be fired on the spot. If your only complaint is the manner in which the lady was "handled", I urge you to contact TSA and complain. If your complaint is that how could they search such a frail, older lady....I really don't think the complaint is valid.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If your complaint is that how could they search such a frail, older lady....I really don't think the complaint is valid.

Not how could they... but how did they. I'm saying there are other ways. Transfer to a plastic wheelchair and wheel through like everyone else. Inspect her chair and then return it to her.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Thought my story while having no value might bring a smile to a few faces. I too am irked when I go through these lines and have to deal with some wannabe.
    Here recently I had to go to the county building downtown Indy. I parked several blocks away and walked on in. When I got to metal detector, the lady running it was telling everyone to remove belts and everything in pockets to go through on the tray system. She looked at my belt and said I would have to take it back to my car. When I asked why she told me no big belt buckles allowed. The buckle was a bit on the "big" size, but it was leather only, not a big metal weapon. I protested and explained that I had parked blocks away. She didn't care and said I had to take it back or she would confiscate it and wouldn't get it back. I told her I didn't think it much of an option as I wasn't going to walk back several blocks to put it in my car. She gave me that look and said, "I don't care, if I take you're not getting it back."
    To which I replied, "Fine. I'm not walking back, you keep it." I rolled it up and handed it to her. She gave me another dirty look and took it.
    I got through the line and then turned to her and said, "Now who can I talk to about you taking my belt."
    She gave me the look of, "say what!" and said, "You can talk to the sheriff over there, but it won't do any good."
    I looked at her for a second and said, "We'll see about that."
    I walked over to the LEO and introduced myself and told him that I don't get treated like this when I visit ****** county court house to work on there security system that we installed and service.
    He was very polite and friendly and asked what happened, and I told him he asked if I was here to work on there alarm too. To which I said no just personal business, but I wanted someone to know how they were treating people. He thanked me and said they get alot of complaints. We chatted a bit and I asked if he knew sheriff **** at the other court house. (One of the big wigs, ya I name dropped.) He was like, "Oh ya sure, good guy.
    Finally he asked what he could do for me on the belt deal and I said I would appreciate if he would put in a good word with securities manager, to which he replied, "No problem." walked over to the counter with the lady standing right there watching, he picked up my belt and asked if it was mine as he handed it back. I said, Yes, Thanks." I put it in my pocket for the rest of the time that I was in the building, cause I didn't want to keep it going, but if looks could have killed that lady wouldn't have needed a gun to shoot me down.
    Ya I know, I'm a smart a** but every so often it feels good to stick to someone who obviously enjoys there job too much sticking it the general public.

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    ...Guess who it was? TONY DUNGY, the recently retired coach of the Indianapolis Colts! I looked at his hand and, SURE 'NUFF there was the HUGE diamond Super Bowl ring.

Totally not surprised. Coach Dungy is a truly humble and kindhearted man. My wife "met" him several years ago @ Riley Hosp. Long story short, she was in the elevator with him, and finally told him that he looked familiar, but that she couldn't remember where she'd seen him (we don't follow sports much). She said that he quietly said that she might've seen him on TV. When she asked him if he worked for the news, he blushed and said, "No, I work for the Colts."

He was at Riley passing out Easter baskets to the kids on the burn unit.

When he was @ Family Christian for his book signing, he let our 7 y/o daughter wear his Superbowl ring.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    TSA

I am upset because it has come to this in the US
    But Public Servant is right , A bad man could very easily hide a weapon, explosives , drugs You name it in a wheel chair making the elderly lady a mule if You will
    I cant fault TSA workers for doing there jobs
    I want Myself and Loved ones to be safe when on a flight
    If it happens that someone has used a wheelchair to smuggle explosives thru a checkpoint onto a plane and that plane is destroyed then everyone will be complaining the TSA didnt do there job

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    the only thing that stopped the terrorists was a few brave men that said "Lets Roll!":patriot:

the TSA is a sham, make work program. The purpose of the TSA is to train Americans to cower like dogs to a bunch of idiots in uniforms. To train us to stand by and watch thugs harass old ladies, while POTUS releases the most dangerous terrorists in the world either back to their country of operation (yemen) or into the USA.

When Obama began releasing islamist terroists, the Federal government lost all authority to search anyone.

I avoid aiports. :xmad:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    > Guess who it was? TONY DUNGY, the recently retired coach of the Indianapolis Colts! I looked at his hand and, SURE 'NUFF there was the HUGE diamond Super Bowl ring.
    >
    > The point: The elderly lady didn't know who he was, or care WHO HE IS, or would even have known had she been told. HE DID THE RIGHT THING FOR THE RIGHT REASON.

Not to hijack (sorry no pun intended) the thread but Tony Dungy is awesome, and I for one, will miss him next season. The Colts just won't be the same with out him, as a matter of fact, neither will the rest of the NFL. Hope when he comes back its with the Colts (but sure it will be with a Florida NFL team).

For what its worth, as a Police Officer I work a part time detail at a airport checkpoint, where I watch TSA interact with the flying public. Most of the TSA employees who work there are hard working people trying to do a crappy job dealing with in general a decent and understanding flying public, but sometimes have to deal with butt head people who seem to enjoy "pushing" around the "wannabe cops", and yet they seem to be able to do it with professionalism most of the time.

Just so you understand those TSA "thugs" don't make policy, they just have to follow it. Further, bad guys wouldn't hesitate to use an elderly, frail person to get weapons on to an aircraft. They wouldn't be beyond using a child to get bad things on to an aircraft. Either one of those groups would be perfect to use, if you want proof just re-read some of the post in this thread.

I do get to see some TSA employees that I wouldn't trust to wash my car, but thats the same in any other occupation (including my own).

Just my :twocents:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Folks....do we not recall that on the morning of September 11, 2001, 2,794 innocent people died when 19 terrorists hijacked 4 aircraft and used them as killing machines? While I understand that seeing an elderly woman searched before boarding an aircraft is not pleasant....do you really not see the necessity in it?

None of these security measures can stop someone who wants to bring an airplane down who is willing to die to do so. Just consider the potentials of body packing. After all, there's nothing that requires the "body packed" materials being drugs.

Oh, and they didn't use either firearms or explosives on the 9/11 attacks, they used sharp knives. One of my hobbies if flint napping. Obsidian, flint, glass, even porcelain can be chipped to a razor-sharp edge that will not show up on metal detectors and is hard to see on X-rays.

What can be stopped is potential terrorists using airliners as cruise missiles. And none of these security measures are necessary for that. All that is necessary is for the passengers and crew to recognize that the rules of the game have changed and that non-resistance doesn't give one a "good" chance of coming through alive. When the passengers decide not to allow them to use the airplane as cruise missiles, terrorists cannot sue the planes as cruise missiles. United Airlines Flight 93 demonstrated that.

Thirty years ago there was no aircraft security. You could walk straight from the ticket counter to the tarmac and onto the airplane. I haven't seen any evidence that the situation has gotten better as more and more restrictive security has been put in place. At best, the "security" has had no effect. At worst, it's had the same effect as "gun free zones," ensuring that the barbarians of the world have nicely helpless victims.

All this airline security is no more effective than gun control in general. Frankly, I think Michael Z. Williamson, in his novel Freehold, got it right:

At the airport, the procedure was strange to her. There was no search of her or her luggage, she didn't need fingerprints or retina pics to prove who she was and they had a procedure for weapons safety. She'd forgotten she was wearing her sidearm, as she now wore it out of habit.

"Please clear your weapon, Ms Pacelli," an attendant asked. She blushed and complied, stuffing the magazine and spare round into her pouch. "We'd prefer that you store it in your pouch and in the underseat stowage. You'll still be able to reach it quickly in an emergency, but it eliminates the chance of an accident."

She nodded in response. It made sense. Given the obsession with personal freedom here coupled with the need to avoid accidents, it made sense. A historical scan she'd done the week before indicated there'd never been a successful act of piracy, questionable commandeering or hijacking aboard any Freehold aircraft, transport or registered vessel. Ever. She couldn't conceive of any UN nation ever considering allowing personal weapons, however. It was an alien concept.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I am upset because it has come to this in the US
    But Public Servant is right , A bad man could very easily hide a weapon, explosives , drugs You name it in a wheel chair making the elderly lady a mule if You will
    I cant fault TSA workers for doing there jobs

Yes. They're Only Following Orders.

BTW, how, exactly, did their treatment of this lady, as described, have dealt with this possibility? They didn't disassemble the wheelchair. There could have been anything inside the frame and what have you.

I want Myself and Loved ones to be safe when on a flight
    If it happens that someone has used a wheelchair to smuggle explosives thru a checkpoint onto a plane and that plane is destroyed then everyone will be complaining the TSA didnt do there job

And I want my family to live in a free country, where petty tyrants aren't given the power, under color of law, to harass people and run roughshod over the rights of individuals in this country.

Unfortunately, the TSA manages to take away what I want while only giving the illusion of giving you what you want.

Top Bottom