• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    I went to L1 last night to have my fingerprints done. When we were finished the girl said that I have 30 days from my original application to go to my local PD to finish the process. Ok.:D

I call Whiting PD today, and I was told that the only person who can take care of this is the Chief who is out of town until 6/8 (I did my app online on 5/12). I explained my concern about the dates and he tells me that the State PD can handle it. Ok.:D

I called the State PD who said I have to see the “second in command” at Whiting. No exceptions. OK!:)

I call back to Whiting, and I am told there is no “second in command”; I cannot make an appointment for the 8th because the chief may be busy. Just come in and see if he can see you?!? :(

So at this point, I’m not OK. Does anyone know if this 30 day thing is hard and fast, is there anything I can do if the chief is “too busy”? Help?!?

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    I don't know? I called the general PD #, told them I had completed everything online and was printed last night. They said I needed to come in and see the chief but he is on vacation. See above.

Guess he needs to check if I have crazy eyes? I don't know.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Call them back and ask what part of "shall issue" they don't understand.

Yeah, but if I get pushy - can't they just say NO?!? :dunno:

I mean these are the same cops who don't bother to fingerprint a break in because "it was probably just kids".

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Call them back and ask what part of "shall issue" they don't understand.

Unfortunately, by law, the local department still has to perform their background check, although it doesn't specify that it has to be the CLEO that does it.

IC 35-47-2-3
    Application for license to carry handgun; procedure

*snip*

(c) The officer to whom the application is made shall ascertain the applicant's name, full address, length of residence in the community, whether the applicant's residence is located within the limits of any city or town, the applicant's occupation, place of business or employment, criminal record, if any, and convictions (minor traffic offenses excepted), age, race, sex, nationality, date of birth, citizenship, height, weight, build, color of hair, color of eyes, scars and marks, whether the applicant has previously held an Indiana license to carry a handgun and, if so, the serial number of the license and year issued, whether the applicant's license has ever been suspended or revoked, and if so, the year and reason for the suspension or revocation, and the applicant's reason for desiring a license. The officer to whom the application is made shall conduct an investigation into the applicant's official records and verify thereby the applicant's character and reputation, and shall in addition verify for accuracy the information contained in the application, and shall forward this information together with the officer's recommendation for approval or disapproval and one (1) set of legible and classifiable fingerprints of the applicant to the superintendent.
    (d) The superintendent may make whatever further investigation the superintendent deems necessary. Whenever disapproval is recommended, the officer to whom the application is made shall provide the superintendent and the applicant with the officer's complete and specific reasons, in writing, for the recommendation of disapproval.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Ok, I'm stuck. Guess I'm just going to take the 8th off work and sit at the PD.

Anybody know how hard and fast the 30 day rule is?

Unless, someone wants to buy a house in Whiting?!? I'm willing to relocate!:): (Trying to keep my sense of humor - my hubby get scared if I cry!)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    North-west Indiana. :rolleyes:

If you make the process hard enough, then no one will try.

BINGO!!!

I don't know? I called the general PD #, told them I had completed everything online and was printed last night. They said I needed to come in and see the chief but he is on vacation. See above.

Guess he needs to check if I have crazy eyes? I don't know.

Indiana has given each local police jurisdiction (town/city police, county sherriff) the authority to handle the LTCH paperwork as they see fit. Some locations anyone in the force can do the paperwork in other places only 1 person is responsible on xyz day from abc to def time only. It all boils down to how they want to do it.

Whiting, IN has chosen (per the OP) to have the Chief of police deal with the LTCH paperwork. So he and only he will handle it.

Advise to OP is take the day off work and walk into the police station and wait to see the chief. EXPECT TO BE THERE ALL DAY!

Now as to while it's only 30 days from when you get fingerprinted. I'm not sure if this is completly correct but there is a 30 day rule for getting fingerprinted for doing a .gov security clearenace as well as when applying for citizenship. Suspect it might have to do that a background check (which is what the fingerprints is used for via the FBI databases) may be only valid for 30 days. You might have become a criminal on day 31 you know. ;)

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

General NWI Status Update Thread (Subscribe to it):
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post.html

UPCOMING EVENTS
    NWI INGO MEET & SHOOT - SAT 28 MAY 2011
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...wi_ingo_meet_and_shoot_sat_28_may_2011_a.html

Appleseed June 25-26 @ Norther Porter County, IN
    2011 North Porter County, IN Appleseed Information

Every Wed: Lunch, Cigars, and Guns @ Pine Island Pit Stop Cigar Lounge
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ne_island_pit_stop_cigar_lounge_part_2_a.html

NEED YOUR HELP
    List of ranges in NWI; Is your range here?:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

Pro-Gun & Anti-Gun Stores in NWI:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...un_and_anti-gun_stores_northwest_indiana.html

OTHER INFO
    A Guide to Protecting Your Rights: What to do when LEO stop you and your are carrying.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...what_to_do_when_leo_stops_you.html#post915009

Wallet IN LTCH Info with IC Codes
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../83645-wallet_in_ltch_info_with_ic_codes.html

FFLs in Indiana
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/81265-indiana_gun_shop_info_-_combined.html

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    BINGO!!!

Advise to OP is take the day off work and walk into the police station and wait to see the chief. EXPECT TO BE THERE ALL DAY!

Pretty much what I figured I'd have to do.

Now as to while it's only 30 days from when you get fingerprinted. I'm not sure if this is compeletly correct but there is a 30 day rule for getting fingerprinted for doing a .gov security clearenace as well as when applying for citizenship. Suspect it might have to do that a background check (which is what the fingerprints is used for via the FBI databases) may be only valid for 30 days. You might have become a criminal on day 31 you know. ;)

No, but on day 30 I'm thinking the whole cry, whine, and make them feel like they forgot their anniversary might be the way to go.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Damn, that is crazy...It couldn't be more different in SWI.

When I applied for mine, the only person that was in the building was a sheriff, so he radioed for one of the local PD to come to the station and they were there in minutes...The whole process couldn't have been more welcoming either.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sanity increases as you get farther from Chicago?
    Ain't that the truth!

Down here in Hendricks County, the dept. secretary did all the work (including prints). I think the Sheriff signed off, but I never saw him. They had quite the stack of applications in the hopper, though! In the 15 minutes I was there, about 5 folks stopped in for paperwork and fingerprints.

Its hard to believe the Chief's responsibilities are "on hold" until he gets back.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Ain't that the truth!

Its hard to believe the Chief's responsibilities are "on hold" until he gets back.

I believe the proper response to this is "No Comment".

Everyone just wish me luck on the 8th - I really hope I don't have to sing and dance.

Top Bottom