• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    June 8th - he is out of the office until Wednesday June 8th and I was told there is NO ONE else that can help me. I already have the day off work to sit at the station.

Once I have the LTCH - I'll post pictures ;)

RGR... We don't wanna see pics of the LTCH now. :laugh:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    June 8th - he is out of the office until Wednesday June 8th and I was told there is NO ONE else that can help me. I already have the day off work to sit at the station.

Once I have the LTCH - I'll post pictures ;)

Did you call ISP and complain about the Locals?! :popcorn:

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Did you call ISP and complain about the Locals?! :popcorn:

Called and spoke with someone at ISP to ask if they can do this. I was handed the line that each local PD handles it in their own way. If Whiting says Chief only, then it's Chief only and I have to wait. I'm not being "denied", I just have to wait and I have 60 days . . . basically chill out and wait.

I know some of the politics in this town. I'm afraid stiring the pot too much will get me denied. Don't know if he can do that but ...:dunno:

I'm guessing I have to abide by the rules at this point, but if I can't get this taken care of on the 8th (and I've been warned that he might be too busy to see me) - I have to go up the food chain.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    CLEO

As a resident of Whiting, are you not also a resident of a county that has a Sheriff? Can the county Sheriff not take care of the paperwork?

Called and spoke with someone at ISP to ask if they can do this. I was handed the line that each local PD handles it in their own way. If Whiting says Chief only, then it's Chief only and I have to wait. I'm not being "denied", I just have to wait and I have 60 days . . . basically chill out and wait.

I know some of the politics in this town. I'm afraid stiring the pot too much will get me denied. Don't know if he can do that but ...:dunno:

I'm guessing I have to abide by the rules at this point, but if I can't get this taken care of on the 8th (and I've been warned that he might be too busy to see me) - I have to go up the food chain.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    As a resident of Whiting, are you not also a resident of a county that has a Sheriff? Can the county Sheriff not take care of the paperwork?

I think if you are a resident of a town with a police department, you must go through your PD. If you live in a town without a PD or in a non-incorporated area of a county, you go through the county sheriff.

victor 1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    The region
    I live in Hammond. You are dealing with the whiting police, are you really surprised? If any of those cops can run a mile in under twenty minutes, i would freak out! They have my respect, but that's just the way they are, there. I used to be a whiting fop asc and use their indoor range to shoot until one of whitings finest decided to shoot hpr's there and blew holes out the back of the range wall. Really! Hence, the range is now closed!

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    That sucks about getting the run around. The secredary at my dept. handled all of mine. The only time I saw the chief was when he was walking through, we said hi to each other, and both went about our business.

-MColford

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    With the requirement to go to the authority hat in hand, and pay, and wait, and beg, and be stalled at every turn, does the right to bear arms really exist?

I don't want to even deal with it and feel no immediate NEED to carry... so I haven't bothered. Maybe eventually I will, it would be convenient.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Ok, so I'm back here. I called back today to confirm for tomorrow as I was told. I was told to call tomorrow to see if he would be available. Explained that I work in skokie and have to take a vacation day (of which I have very limited). I was transferred to his secretary (who was actually very nice) and she put me on his schedule for 9am.

Fingers Crossed - hopefully this will be the last of it!

jmartin72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Covington
    The only person I talked to at my Sheriffs Dept. was a very nice lady behind a desk. I assume a secretary. I gave her my $50 cash, and she made a couple clicks on her computer then told me it had been submitted. She gave me my receipt, and I was on my way. that was 5 days ago, and I'm waiting patently (NOT)!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I would suggest filing a complaint. I've never had to go through anything like that. I met the secretary and she put all my stuff in and handed me back my envelope. No meetings with the sheriff were necessary. Shall issue doesn't mean "only after yu meet with sheriff crap head".

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Ok, so I'm back here. I called back today to confirm for tomorrow as I was told. I was told to call tomorrow to see if he would be available. Explained that I work in skokie and have to take a vacation day (of which I have very limited). I was transferred to his secretary (who was actually very nice) and she put me on his schedule for 9am.

Fingers Crossed - hopefully this will be the last of it!

1) Good luck
    2) :postpics:
    3) u drive all the way to Skokie each day! WOW!!!!

I would suggest filing a complaint. I've never had to go through anything like that. I met the secretary and she put all my stuff in and handed me back my envelope. No meetings with the sheriff were necessary. Shall issue doesn't mean "only after yu meet with sheriff crap head".

Complaint would be pointless as we have already talked about in this thread and priors for Whiting, IN. The whiting PD is following the letter of the law. Each LE jurisdiction has to have a procedure for allowing it's residents to file for the handgun permit. In the case of Whiting, IN the chief is the one that handles that paperwork (ie. that is their procedure). So you have to get on his schedule in order to do the paperwork. Griffith, for example back when I did mine, only took applications on WED from 10AM to 3PM. Again "within the letter of the law" in terms of having a procedure. Other jurisdictions are worse. Can't recall which one here in NWI that says every other WED from 11 to 12 only by appointment! :rolleyes:

Its the same BS tricks that the city of DC is playing with its residents. They are no banning firearms anymore but the process of having one is death by a million paper cuts. :xmad:

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Just make sure you bring a MO or a check and not cash, I just got mine within the last 3 weeks and they would not accept cash.

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    Good luck Kitty! I live in Portage and when I went to my PD a secretary took care of it and accepted cash, it couldnt have been easier. I know what you mean about Whiting though. I am an HVAC contractor and they made my life hell just trying to get a license for a job I was doing.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Ok, today actually went flawlessly. I got there at 9 and thought there was going to be a problem by the reaction of the guy at the window. He ended up getting the chief's secretary. She took me right back.

Chief was actually a very nice guy. We jokes a bit back and forth (I did go with the cutesy outfit and his office was cold enough to raise penguins). They took cash - as the secetary told me they would. After a few minutes he said I was good to go, but that he didn't know the turn around time so "watch the mail". Walked me out and shook my hand (to me that is a very good sign - "large" men don't often extend that courtesy to someone my size). Even let me know that Deb's was the closest range.

All in all, a lot better than expected - given the other dealings I have had in this town.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    1) Good luck
    2) :postpics:
    3) u drive all the way to Skokie each day! WOW!!!!

1) Thanks and now the wait.
    2) I'm still trying to figure out how to post anywhere but my album. Is the cutesy outfit I wore today ok? I don't own a derringer.
    3) 5 days a week to work with a bunch of loons - pay if alright but the boss covers health insurance for my whole family. I drive.

Top Bottom