• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Someone I actually consider rather well connected told me Pence would do it, be VP. I think that'd be a terrible decision. He only helps in all the demographics that Trump doesn't need help in.

Until she bailed, I thought Joni Ernst would be a good choice. Newt would be a singularly bad idea IMHO. And I'm not sure Newt could do enough in 4 months to rehabilitate himself. #rememberthe90s

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Street cred with traditional Republican voters?

Well, that takes Newt out of the equation. ;)

The only reason I can think of to go with Newt (and I apologize for coming back to this again) is because Trump owes Newt a solid. Newt must've delivered on something in the past, so Trump wants to reward him now.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well, that takes Newt out of the equation. ;)

The only reason I can think of to go with Newt (and I apologize for coming back to this again) is because Trump owes Newt a solid. Newt must've delivered on something in the past, so Trump wants to reward him now.

Stopping to think about this for a few, I recall that there are plenty of folks who liked Newt for one reason or other and were not happy with the way they perceived him to get pushed out as speaker. I suspect that some of those same folks are among the most susceptible to staying home this November. All things considered, I have not forgotten that the deathbed divorce would tend to suggest that Newt is deficient as a human being and his career shows him to be all politician, but he was also probably the most effective speaker of the house in recent history and known as a stalwart conservative who is unlikely to bend left unlike the reservations many have about Trump. I could point out that the highly-touted 'Contract with America' was DOA and still has yet to see action in spite of 6 years of a GOP House, Senate, and White House between then and now, but that reflects more on the party than on Newt, although Newt walked away from that with egg on his face given that he was the public face of that collection of unfulfilled promises. The sad but true thing is that he is still standing as one of the least bad choices among traditional Republicans whose value of a leader exceeds the 95¢ it would cost to kill him.

Of course you could well be right that Trump owes him something.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Personally, I suspect the same people who hold Newt in high regard are probably already Trump supporters. He is not well liked, and, worse, not well respected among GenX conservatives that I know. We bought into all his Contract with America BS and hard talk that begat no real action. I don't recall a single vote on repealing the AWB, for instance.

But, I am open to correction.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Personally, I suspect the same people who hold Newt in high regard are probably already Trump supporters. He is not well liked, and, worse, not well respected among GenX conservatives that I know. We bought into all his Contract with America BS and hard talk that begat no real action. I don't recall a single vote on repealing the AWB, for instance.

We are thinking alike on the reality of Newt and his substance, but for whatever reason, Newt still has a following, some of which are indeed Trump supporters but there are others still suspicious of Trump's conservative values who consider Newt gold standard in spite of the fact that his only real accomplishment was serving as half of the equation in a series of balanced budgets. As far as I can tell, the balanced budgets of the 90's were much like the way my grandparents saved money: Grandma wouldn't tolerate Grandpa spending on the things he would have spent recklessly on and he wouldn't tolerate her continuously buying clothes she would wear only once, so they saved through mutual veto on spending. I see Newt and Billy Jeff as having done the same thing to a great extent. Aside from that, we are in agreement that Newt accomplished very little. I will say to his credit that he was better, or perhaps I should say less bad, than any of his successors.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I listened to an interview with him on Glenn Beck's show a few years ago, probably when he was running last. He came off in that interview quite the progressive. My memory has faded now, so I don't remember on what issues he responded so disappointingly but suffice it to say, should Trump select Gingrich, it will do nothing to change my mind to vote for him.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    @indydave Yeah, we're not really arguing on this one. More like agreeing with different words. :D

Indeed, WJC gets partial credit for the balanced budgets, although I think there was at least 1 .gov shutdown in the mix. Can't recall if that was on Newt's watch or not.

I think the allure of Newt is heavy in the top age brackets, the Boomers and tweeners before GenX. Granted, they are more likely to vote, but they just aren't the demos Trump needs help in. Man, I just recall the freakin' mandate he had when he went in and how it seemed like it was completely squandered. But, maybe I'm wrong, and he's rehabilitated. I admit I haven't really paid any attention to him. I could be the one stuck in the past in my opinion of him.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, maybe a Indiana Republican Nominee for Governor Filling Up Fast thread. :D

Holcomb would, frankly, suck. But, he basically would've hit the election lottery. I hear Greg Zoeller has time on his hands. :D

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    @indydave Yeah, we're not really arguing on this one. More like agreeing with different words. :D

Indeed, WJC gets partial credit for the balanced budgets, although I think there was at least 1 .gov shutdown in the mix. Can't recall if that was on Newt's watch or not.

I think the allure of Newt is heavy in the top age brackets, the Boomers and tweeners before GenX. Granted, they are more likely to vote, but they just aren't the demos Trump needs help in. Man, I just recall the freakin' mandate he had when he went in and how it seemed like it was completely squandered. But, maybe I'm wrong, and he's rehabilitated. I admit I haven't really paid any attention to him. I could be the one stuck in the past in my opinion of him.

I rather doubt it. No, I don't think you are stuck in the past either. Perhaps I failed to make clear that I am dealing with a perception I believe a statistically significant number of people to harbor rather than my own opinion on Newt, and as for him being the least bad speaker within my recollection, that is more a condemnation on our state of affairs than an endorsement of Newt.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Perhaps I failed to make clear that I am dealing with a perception I believe a statistically significant number of people to harbor rather than my own opinion on Newt...

No, you were clear on that. :)

I had to refresh my memory on who came after him. A child molester (we found out recently), Pelosi, and Boehner. I can't really argue any of them were better, only that I had lower expectations for them, so was less disappointed.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think it correctly diagnoses that the fault-lines in the Republican party were revealed by Trump, but not necessarily caused by him. He may have exacerbated them, but he didn't cause them.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I think it correctly diagnoses that the fault-lines in the Republican party were revealed by Trump, but not necessarily caused by him. He may have exacerbated them, but he didn't cause them.

That's what I kind of got out of it....

Kut if you are around please check out the link above...I believe you may have touched on some of the authors points a few times...I know Jamil has...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Indeed, further testimony from Will California Ever Thrive Again? | RealClearPolitics

"What caused the California paradise to squander its rich natural inheritance?
    Excessive state regulations and expanding government, massive illegal immigration from impoverished nations, and the rise of unimaginable wealth in the tech industry and coastal retirement communities created two antithetical Californias.

One is an elite, out-of-touch caste along the fashionable Pacific Ocean corridor that runs the state and has the money to escape the real-life consequences of its own unworkable agendas.

The other is a huge underclass in central, rural and foothill California that cannot flee to the coast and suffers the bulk of the fallout from Byzantine state regulations, poor schools and the failure to assimilate recent immigrants from some of the poorest areas in the world.

The result is Connecticut and Alabama combined in one state. A house in Menlo Park may sell for more than $1,000 a square foot. In Madera three hours away, the cost is about one-tenth of that."

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom