• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'll pose this question here, rather than the 2016 GE thread.

Suppose they replace Trump in Cleveland on the grounds that the type of people supporting him loudly (racists, anti-Semites, et al) don't represent the party? They don't have to put any of the blame on Trump himself... just the sort of people he's tending to attract.

Granted, it's a minuscule portion of his largely normal following... but they aren't doing much to help his image (or the party that he's running with).

Would the party have grounds to reject his nomination if his candidacy is causing them to look bad by association?

No, not IMHO. That's elitism. Those are the salt-of-the-earth people and crossover voters.

Was Romney's candidacy illegitimate for attracting Wall Street investment bankers?

ETA:
    I still think there's an even chance he'll decline the nomination in favor of hand picking "his" guy for the job.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'll pose this question here, rather than the 2016 GE thread.

Suppose they replace Trump in Cleveland on the grounds that the type of people supporting him loudly (racists, anti-Semites, et al) don't represent the party? They don't have to put any of the blame on Trump himself... just the sort of people he's tending to attract.

Granted, it's a minuscule portion of his largely normal following... but they aren't doing much to help his image (or the party that he's running with).

Would the party have grounds to reject his nomination if his candidacy is causing them to look bad by association?

It does make one wonder, after decades of non-support of mainstream candidates, why all of a sudden have the Klan, Nazis, and white nationalist gravitated to Trump in such large numbers? That's a rhetorical question.... I know why, and so does everyone else, rather they want to admit it or not.

Kut (thinks it's obvious)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'll put it bluntly. Kut thinks Trump is a racist bigot. Trump does tend to say things that are no longer socially acceptable to say. I can see why a non-white, or woman, would think he's a racist and sexist.

Is he really a racist? Sexist? All I'm confident in saying is that he is definitely biased towards anything that he is, because, you know, he is full of himself. He is white, male, New Yorker, American. And whatever else. He is God's gift to mankind.

People see his willingness to say things that people dare only to say in private or anonymously as a sign of strength and toughness. I think rather it's a sign of his own inflated ego, and his strategy to close the deal. He does it partly because, having surrounded himself by sycophants and yes men his whole life, he's not been exposed to the social lessons we've all learned in social interactions about how to treat other people. But mostly, he's tapped into something that resonates with certain people, and for some reason I don't understand, it manifests as a fierce loyalty.

I think there's enough evidence in how Trump has actually treated people to say that he's probably not as racist as he comes off, but it's more that he is biased towards what he is.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No, not IMHO. That's elitism. Those are the salt-of-the-earth people and crossover voters.

Was Romney's candidacy illegitimate for attracting Wall Street investment bankers?

ETA:
    I still think there's an even chance he'll decline the nomination in favor of hand picking "his" guy for the job.

Huh? What are you talking about? What did you drink yesterday? Do you have anymore? And if not, where can it be found?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Funny coincidence... The entire "star of david" tweet debacle did a great job of keeping Clinton's FBI interview from being a bigger weekend campaign story.

I'll go back to my question months ago:

If Trump wasn't trying to help Clinton win this election, what would he be doing differently?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It does make one wonder, after decades of non-support of mainstream candidates, why all of a sudden have the Klan, Nazis, and white nationalist gravitated to Trump in such large numbers? That's a rhetorical question.... I know why, and so does everyone else, rather they want to admit it or not.

Kut (thinks it's obvious)

Ya. It's all code. :rolleyes:

Or, perhaps they think he's one of them. Is he? I don't know. I kinda think not. I kinda think Trump is more like the person he was before he ran, and the person he is now is the person he believes appeals to the right. He could as easily have portrayed a different flavor of koolaid and played the left. But the dems already had Bernie Sanders.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think there's enough evidence in how Trump has actually treated people to say that he's probably not as racist as he comes off, but it's more that he is biased towards what he is.

I think people can be shades of biased/racist. (Pardon the pun.) It isn't binary: all racist all the time, or never racist.

So, he probably isn't as racist as the Klan or neo-Nazis. I agree with that. But, I do think he's saying things that reflect his generational experience with race. Those things hearken back to a time when race relations were simpler, if not morally just. That kind of nostalgic depiction of race resonates with certain segments.

I also think Trump's fundamental bias is against whoever isn't part of his family.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'll put it bluntly. Kut thinks Trump is a racist bigot. Trump does tend to say things that are no longer socially acceptable to say. I can see why a non-white, or woman, would think he's a racist and sexist.

Is he really a racist? Sexist? All I'm confident in saying is that he is definitely biased towards anything that he is, because, you know, he is full of himself. He is white, male, New Yorker, American. And whatever else. He is God's gift to mankind.

People see his willingness to say things that people dare only to say in private or anonymously as a sign of strength and toughness. I think rather it's a sign of his own inflated ego, and his strategy to close the deal. He does it partly because, having surrounded himself by sycophants and yes men his whole life, he's not been exposed to the social lessons we've all learned in social interactions about how to treat other people. But mostly, he's tapped into something that resonates with certain people, and for some reason I don't understand, it manifests as a fierce loyalty.

Actually, I don't. I think Trump has the uncanny ability to project beliefs, upon himself, that he doesn't sincerely support.... and make people believe it. I think Trump thinks his supporters are racists and bigots, they just happen to be the rungs in the ladder of his ascension. Trump is all about Trump, if he thought the Nation of Islam was his key to winning, he'd make Farrakhan his VP.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ya. It's all code. :rolleyes:

Or, perhaps they think he's one of them. Is he? I don't know. I kinda think not. I kinda think Trump is more like the person he was before he ran, and the person he is now is the person he believes appeals to the right. He could as easily have portrayed a different flavor of koolaid and played the left. But the dems already had Bernie Sanders.

See my post above

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think people can be shades of biased/racist. (Pardon the pun.) It isn't binary: all racist all the time, or never racist.

So, he probably isn't as racist as the Klan or neo-Nazis. I agree with that. But, I do think he's saying things that reflect his generational experience with race. Those things hearken back to a time when race relations were simpler, if not morally just. That kind of nostalgic depiction of race resonates with certain segments.

I also think Trump's fundamental bias is against whoever isn't part of his family.

I certainly agree racism--any kind of ism is not binary. And I agree that he reflects a generational attitude to some extent. Nevertheless, most of us from anywhere near his generation, have learned through our social interactions what is acceptable and what is not. How could Trump learn those lessons being surrounded by yes men all his adult life?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Actually, I don't. I think Trump has the uncanny ability to project beliefs, upon himself, that he doesn't sincerely support.... and make people believe it. I think Trump thinks his supporters are racists and bigots, they just happen to be the rungs in the ladder of his ascension. Trump is all about Trump, if he thought the Nation of Islam was his key to winning, he'd make Farrakhan his VP.

I completely agree with this. And as I said, if Bernie hadn't been in the race, Trump may have gone Democrat.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis

other than the highlighting, I think this is as precise and correct a post as I have seen.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I completely agree with this. And as I said, if Bernie hadn't been in the race, Trump may have gone Democrat.

I'd rather have my guns buried in my back yard, than have to tell my kids I voted for a liar or an opportunist playing on bigotry. When the "lessor of two evils" leaves you with evil, then I'm not making that choice. There hasn't been an election, where I honestly thought "evil" was a characteristic of both candidates... this one it is, IMHO.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is Trump really racist or just not the politically correct politician (deathly afraid of being called racist,) that we have been trained that we must have?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'd rather have my guns buried in my back yard, than have to tell my kids I voted for a liar or an opportunist playing on bigotry. When the "lessor of two evils" leaves you with evil, then I'm not making that choice. There hasn't been an election, where I honestly thought "evil" was a characteristic of both candidates... this one it is, IMHO.

Easy for you to say, since LE will undoubtedly be exempt from any new firearm bans or restrictions. And if you are the cowardly type, burying your guns while your rights are voted away, nobody needs your counsel or arms anyway. I don't recall George Washington burying his guns.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Is Trump really racist or just not the politically correct politician (deathly afraid of being called racist,) that we have been trained that we must have?
    Wait. Are you saying that being non-racist is a politically correct decision? I mean, it sounds like you're position is that saying racist things is ok because it is not politically correct.

Is there some way to be non-racist while saying racist things? Going back to my degrees-of-racism concept, I think someone can reveal biases without being a bad person.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom