• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yes, I believe Trump is doing his best.

There's too many people profiting from open borders.
    That's why they've DUG IN and will scratch, claw and resist with every trick they can think of to stop a secure border.

And when/if Trump tries to use his National Emergency powers, there are already people prepared to go to court to stop it.

By the time it ever makes it through the Supreme Court, it'll either be 2020 Election time, and/or the open borders crowd will have closed off EVERY source of funding they can think of for him to use his Emergency powers.
    And if he finds any funding, they'll be back in court again.

There's just too much money in open borders it to be otherwise.

I don't think it's about open or closed borders at all. I think it's about Trump, his words, and what many believe his overall motives are.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't think it's about open or closed borders at all. I think it's about Trump, his words, and what many believe his overall motives are.
    You mean Trump’s overall motives are not to secure the border like he promised to do in his campaign?

No matter what anyone’s opinion of Trump happens to be I don’t think they can honestly say that he hasn’t been making an effort to fufill the campaign promises he made.

How you gonna find fault with that?

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

Not for me as an independent.
    I want it done no matter who does it or takes credit for it.

I have a long memory, and I remember over 30 years ago when President Reagan gave amnesty to a few million illegal immigrants with the promise that we'd secure the border and have control over who's coming into this country from then on.

We got the amnesty, and the Democrats broke their promise to work to secure the border.

So to me, it's NOT about Trump, it's about finally doing what we were promised over 30 years ago, NO MATTER who does it.
    And HATING Trump is not a good enough reason to not fix the border.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The people that voted for Trump want border security and that includes a wall. IDK why Trump felt it was necessary to say that Mexico would pay for it when it wasn’t needed.

I don’t put much stock in that promise because I don’t think it’s an issue who pays for the wall to those that want to get serious about securing the border.

The money isn’t the issue. Even if Mexico would somehow agree to pony up the funds it would have to go through Congress to be disbursed and I still don’t think the Democrats would approve a wall.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...So to me, it's NOT about Trump, it's about finally doing what we were promised over 30 years ago, NO MATTER who does it.

giphy.gif

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

But what if I believe that building a wall won't do anything significant to fix the border?

There are several easier, less expensive, and more effective options to correct the problems in our immigration system.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not for me as an independent.
    I want it done no matter who does it or takes credit for it.

I have a long memory, and I remember over 30 years ago when President Reagan gave amnesty to a few million illegal immigrants with the promise that we'd secure the border and have control over who's coming into this country from then on.

We got the amnesty, and the Democrats broke their promise to work to secure the border.

So to me, it's NOT about Trump, it's about finally doing what we were promised over 30 years ago, NO MATTER who does it.

Who said they don't want to fix the border? What I'm hearing is that people don't want a stupid monument to Trump wall that is of dubious effectiveness.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    But what if I believe that building a wall won't do anything significant to fix the border?

There are several easier, less expensive, and more effective options to correct the problems in our immigration system.

So what fix do you propose that will generate bipartisan support, and will pass the house, senate, and receive a signature by the president? The way we spend money - a wall just isn't that big of a deal. Probably not worth the cost, but the effectiveness is guaranteed higher than zero and I'm sure we've spent more money on stuff less important.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    My biggest pet peeve about this shutdown, back pay.

If you worked during this shutdown, you should get it. If you didn’t work, you shouldn’t. If you wanted a chance at getting back pay, you should’ve had the option to continue to work knowing you could or couldn’t get it. This really is nothing against the workers as everyone else who is a normal person wouldn’t get back pay if they didn’t work. I know my opinion might not be popular but if you take a job as a government worker you should know this is a possibility.
    You know you kind of have a point. When these things happen everyone knows that all of the .gov employees will get all of their pay. Why do they have any of them not work? If they are going to get paid, they should work.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Who said they don't want to fix the border? What I'm hearing is that people don't want a stupid monument to Trump wall that is of dubious effectiveness.
    Alot of people didn’t want a stupid monument to Obama either. That didn’t stop us from getting Obamacare.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

In that case I would defer to the expert on the border and ask you why you don't put on some deodorant.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Alot of people didn’t want a stupid monument to Obama either. That didn’t stop us from getting Obamacare.

Boy isn't that the truth! Obummer care cost me well over $4000 in penalties so others could have insurance.
    I figure if there's 141.2 million taxpayers, if you pull $50 per tax payer, from the taxes we ALREADY pay, it would give over 7 billion for the wall. Pretty simple and minuscule amount, per tax payer, to get the ball rolling

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    So what fix do you propose that will generate bipartisan support, and will pass the house, senate, and receive a signature by the president?

Do you think that I'm a miracle worker? There are too many beneficiaries of the current system to expect any change to pass.

To be transparent, I am basically a supporter of an open border. I realize that isn't popular on INGO, but it is what I think is best.

But if you really want to cut down on immigration that violates the law, here's what I see as the easiest solution: Anyone who employs a worker who is not legally authorized to work in the US is to be fined the equivalent of 10 years of back taxes for that person--federal, state, Social Security, the whole thing. If the risk/reward calculation shifts, people's behavior will shift, too.

Building a wall is just a dumb solution.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So can somebody explain open borders for me ?

How would this work?

Am I the only person that has visited Central America?

BTW
    Thank you taxpayers for my trip to the 3rd world!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So can somebody explain open borders for me ?

How would this work?

Am I the only person that has visited Central America?

BTW
    Thank you taxpayers for my trip to the 3rd world!

I'd like someone to tell me who wants open borders first.

Top Bottom