• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    As a 25 + year truck driver . I will never get tired of saying how much I really dislike 90% of the DISPATCHERS . Childish lowlife liars . They threaten the drivers to drive too quickly to meet a deadline that usually does not exist . They are sadistic diseases that God placed on this planet after he ran out of locusts. They would gladly endanger 1000 people a day just to kiss a pimple on a rich man's a$$.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    For the third time...(WTF is wrong with the system today?)

1. I have observed that no act of courtesy goes unpunished, consequently I have been disciplining myself not to indulge. My favorite example is when approaching a slower-moving vehicle and observing another vehicle approaching at high speed from behind, patiently waiting for the faster driver to pass only to have them slow to match speed with me and box me in behind the slow mover.

2. The industry is infested with people who can't drive who are driving on account of both free-standing driving schools and more commonly and worse by volume and quality, larger trucking companies which would put a chimpanzee in a truck if they could teach it to steer which run their own training programs. In both cases, putting asses in seats is the pay item with no regard for the quality of drivers the are turning out.

3. The passing at 3/16 mph difference is often made far worse by teh aforementioned companies having their chimpanzee trucks governed at or more commonly well below the speed limit.

4. The application of the word professional is laughable. I am unaware of any other occupation being micromanaged by the .gov right down to telling you how long you have to sleep and whether it must be done in one sitting or in two 5 hour periods separated by 5 hours up (they have gone back and forth on this one). Professionals are generally left to police themselves until such a time that a given individual proves incapable of that and is then dealt with individually.

5. When my grandparents learned to drive, the quality of driving was taken with the utmost seriousness, less so with my parents' generation, not at all now.

6. The general prevalence of the self-serving attitude is greater in our society than it has been at any time past, with courtesy receding in inverse proportion.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As a 25 + year truck driver . I will never get tired of saying how much I really dislike 90% of the DISPATCHERS . Childish lowlife liars . They threaten the drivers to drive too quickly to meet a deadline that usually does not exist . They are sadistic diseases that God placed on this planet after he ran out of locusts. They would gladly endanger 1000 people a day just to kiss a pimple on a rich man's a$$.

This!

I am very thankful I no longer have to deal with one of these cancers on society.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I hate f-in truckers, oh wait my Dad's a truck driver. Oh yea, cops I hate f-in pigs, uh, actually many of my best friends are LEO's. Never mind.

Well she-it, guess I'll just wait for a thread bashing astronauts or nuns to come along, can't stand them sum-beeches.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    For the third time...(WTF is wrong with the system today?)

1. I have observed that no act of courtesy goes unpunished, consequently I have been disciplining myself not to indulge. My favorite example is when approaching a slower-moving vehicle and observing another vehicle approaching at high speed from behind, patiently waiting for the faster driver to pass only to have them slow to match speed with me and box me in behind the slow mover.

2. The industry is infested with people who can't drive who are driving on account of both free-standing driving schools and more commonly and worse by volume and quality, larger trucking companies which would put a chimpanzee in a truck if they could teach it to steer which run their own training programs. In both cases, putting asses in seats is the pay item with no regard for the quality of drivers the are turning out.

3. The passing at 3/16 mph difference is often made far worse by teh aforementioned companies having their chimpanzee trucks governed at or more commonly well below the speed limit.

4. The application of the word professional is laughable. I am unaware of any other occupation being micromanaged by the .gov right down to telling you how long you have to sleep and whether it must be done in one sitting or in two 5 hour periods separated by 5 hours up (they have gone back and forth on this one). Professionals are generally left to police themselves until such a time that a given individual proves incapable of that and is then dealt with individually.

5. When my grandparents learned to drive, the quality of driving was taken with the utmost seriousness, less so with my parents' generation, not at all now.

6. The general prevalence of the self-serving attitude is greater in our society than it has been at any time past, with courtesy receding in inverse proportion.
    Are you sure you are a trucker? I have found most of your posts far too articulate to come from such a surly bunch

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Are you sure you are a trucker? I have found most of your posts far too articulate to come from such a surly bunch

Life has been an adventure if not quite what I would have planned. At 15, my dad taught me to drive. I'll give you one guess what unlikely vehicle he chose! Later, the University of Evansville ran me broke in 3 years, leaving me to fall back on construction, which I learned from my grandpa who built roads starting out doing manual work for the county at 14 (back then you could get away with a story as long as it was plausible, and he could drive posts with a 12 pound sledge hammer in each hand at 14) and followed through until reaching upper management with a contractor slightly before my time. I worked for him through my first couple of years of college until he was forced into retirement, but deliberately had not put me in a position to be self-sufficient working as his way of motivating me in school by burning the bridge behind me. After that ran out, I did a few other things, and then ended up operating heavy equipment combined with driving, and now pretty much strictly driving. I have found that most of the old school drivers (which I am a third generation driver on my dad's side) are pretty decent as long as you don't go out of your way to be an irritant. The new-style know-it-alls/driving school rejects are an entirely different matter. This is how I became the truck-driving analog to the Horse of a Different Color in Emerald City.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'll only say that I've really felt like my life has been in danger by really bad truck driving in the past. There are some who use their trucks to intimidate. I had one once who swerved to run me off the road. I still think that the majority of them don't participate in this kind of road rage. Most do seem to be just trying to do the job by getting to where they need to go.

There are real jerks in all jobs and professions and some of them are on here. They seem to get off by grinding their axes. It gets old quickly when "adults" can't accept that they made mistakes and got caught. My advice is to get over it.

One other thing I will say, is that anyone who has a job that puts them in a position of authority over other folks had better not be there because they think that they are going to get a lot of "love". If you want "love" then get one where you rescue kittens from trees.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'll only say that I've really felt like my life has been in danger by really bad truck driving in the past. There are some who use their trucks to intimidate. I had one once who swerved to run me off the road. I still think that the majority of them don't participate in this kind of road rage. Most do seem to be just trying to do the job by getting to where they need to go.

There are real jerks in all jobs and professions and some of them are on here. They seem to get off by grinding their axes. It gets old quickly when "adults" can't accept that they made mistakes and got caught. My advice is to get over it.

One other thing I will say, is that anyone who has a job that puts them in a position of authority over other folks had better not be there because they think that they are going to get a lot of "love". If you want "love" then get one where you rescue kittens from trees.

Valid point. I also find the opposite issue most irritating--those who try to start pushing contests the other way, can't get the job done (for obvious reasons) but think that the trucker should roll over for them, and then call the office whining about it the next morning. The one who did that to me should be down on the knees giving thanks to whatever deity the numskull believes in that I did not have the opportunity at that point to express my position in person.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -snip
    I can't count the number of times I was cut off so that a trucker could driver .0000025% faster than another and take 20 minutes to pass. ..., going 55.1mph while the other guy is only going 55.05mph ...
    -snip-

In the OP, this is a VALID complaint that I see over and over EVERY TIME I drive on the Interstate.

Truckers DIDN'T USED TO DRIVE THIS WAY in years past.

In years PAST, when a trucker passed somebody, they just pulled in the left lane and just passed normally like everybody else.

Why the change?

There's no conclusion other than they INTENTIONALLY do this that I can come to.

If I was a police officer I would pull them over and ticket them for intentionally blocking traffic.

It is against the law.

IC 35-42-2-4
    Obstruction of traffic
    Sec. 4. (a) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic commits obstruction of traffic, a Class B misdemeanor.
    (b) The offense described in subsection (a) is:
    (1) a Class A misdemeanor if the offense includes the use of a motor vehicle; and
    (2) a Class D felony if the offense results in serious bodily injury.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    In the OP, this is a VALID complaint that I see over and over EVERY TIME I drive on the Interstate.

In years PAST, when a trucker passed somebody, they just pulled in the left lane and just passed normally like everybody else.

Why the change?

If I was a police officer I would pull them over and ticket them for intentionally blocking traffic.

It is against the law.

IC 35-42-2-4
    Obstruction of traffic
    Sec. 4. (a) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic commits obstruction of traffic, a Class B misdemeanor.
    (1) a Class A misdemeanor if the offense includes the use of a motor vehicle; and

The number one reason is the geniuses behind desks who have the trucks governed at stupid speeds so that this is all there is. My way of thinking is that if you want to buy a truck set up so you could have a chimpanzee drive it, hire a chimpanzee to drive it. I would also tell those drivers "if you can't, don't." The problem with application of the law against obstructing traffic is that they are not considered to be obstruction traffic under the circumstances. Generally it would require a speed further below the speed limit than they are travelling and the original intention of the law was to protect the rest of us from being subjected to such things as protesters lining up abreast and driving 10mph down the interstate. Further, under these circumstances, it is presumed that the intention is in fact to pass and not obstruct even if they are taking until the second coming of Christ to do it. That said, I am with you being irritated with it.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011

Why the change?

It is against the law.

IC 35-42-2-4
    Obstruction of traffic

But that raises the question to me, are they really impeeding traffic if they are doing the speed limit or above?

Seems to me that in order to impeed traffic you would have to be going under the posted speed limit.

ETA: Beat to the punch by IndyDave.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    But that raises the question to me, are they really impeeding traffic if they are doing the speed limit or above?

Seems to me that in order to impeed traffic you would have to be going under the posted speed limit.

Therein lies the problem. They generally aren't, especially if you are in Kentucky or Tennessee in which the speed limit is 70 mph for everyone. In Indiana with the stupid split speed limit, sometimes the law coupled with, lets say very enthusiastic enforcement on the part of ISP, is the problem. Generally, the chimpanzee trucks are governed between 62 and 68 mph.

Top Bottom