• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I was cooking with blue cheese tonight and I realized it would be very hard to determine if blue cheese was bad. It already looks and smells bad & the taste is a little different. How would I know if it's bad?

Luckily my rescue dog Chase was in the kitchen, he always acts like I am trying to poison him when I give him new things so I gave him a bite. He ate it so I decided it must still be good.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I was cooking with blue cheese tonight and I realized it would be very hard to determine if blue cheese was bad. It already looks and smells bad & the taste is a little different. How would I know if it's bad?

Luckily my rescue dog Chase was in the kitchen, he always acts like I am trying to poison him when I give him new things so I gave him a bite. He ate it so I decided it must still be good.

Awe, the dog test. Yep I've done it.

As for the blue cheese I've found it starts to get mushy when it is getting bad. The smell will intensify and it will become apparent that isn't good by the overwhelming stench of rotten gym socks that have been left in a hot locker.

If it didn't smell to much worse than normal and its still fairly solid then its probably fine.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Awe, the dog test. Yep I've done it.

As for the blue cheese I've found it starts to get mushy when it is getting bad. The smell will intensify and it will become apparent that isn't good by the overwhelming stench of rotten gym socks that have been left in a hot locker.

If it didn't smell to much worse than normal and its still fairly solid then its probably fine.

Mushy-ness is the tell. I used to work in a kitchen, and we had wheels of blue cheese shipped in from Denmark, and they smelled stronger than any blue cheese you ever smelled. But if its mushy, or has a liquid/slime coating, its bad. Of course, if you cut down a 1/4" its probably fine. Cheese is very robust.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Mushy-ness is the tell. I used to work in a kitchen, and we had wheels of blue cheese shipped in from Denmark, and they smelled stronger than any blue cheese you ever smelled. But if its mushy, or has a liquid/slime coating, its bad. Of course, if you cut down a 1/4" its probably fine. Cheese is very robust.

Yep, mushy means bad no doubt. At the restaurant I work at part time they make their Blu cheese dressing in house from scratch. But we use crumbled blue cheese not wheels. I know it is the highest quality that the distributor offers but I have no idea the country of origin. I just know it stinks to high heaven and when it starts to go bad it smells even worse. Of course I hardly ever smell bad blue cheese because they go through it so fast it never has a chance to spoil. No kidding we have gone through 5 gallons of homemade blue cheese dressing in one weekend before.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    No suprize. We made everything from scratch except mayo. That blue cheese was awesome though. When I took over the prep crew I used to yell out "Im opening the blue cheese" so that everyone could prepare themselves. It would literally be like a stink bomb going off in the entire back room, and the people up on the line would ***** and moan. Except for one guy who would come by with a dish for some fresh pieces.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I like blue cheese in very very small portions. If used sparingly it can be very tasty and add loads of flavor to a dish. But if over used it dominates the palate and mutes other flavors.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    i like to broil the little bacon wrapped steaks and add a little blue cheese to them the last three minutes or so of cooking time. I buy the basic blue cheese crumbles in the little bowl.

Last night the blue cheese didn't have much of a smell or taste. The flavor wasn't as robust as it usually is. I figured it was probably just getting old since it was almost gone.

I wouldn't eat cheese or anything else if it were slimy. I pitch lettuce and other veggies at the first hint of slime.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    i like to broil the little bacon wrapped steaks and add a little blue cheese to them the last three minutes or so of cooking time. I buy the basic blue cheese crumbles in the little bowl.

Last night the blue cheese didn't have much of a smell or taste. The flavor wasn't as robust as it usually is. I figured it was probably just getting old since it was almost gone.

I wouldn't eat cheese or anything else if it were slimy. I pitch lettuce and other veggies at the first hint of slime.

Sounds tasty! I may have to try that. I like to use Gorgonzola for topping steak. I think it has a little more of a buttery flavor than other blue cheeses.

Unfortunately I have been afraid to use it (or any blue cheese) much for cooking recently because the type of mold used to blue the cheese is a type of penicillin and my fiancé is deathly allergic to penicillin. I'm not sure if it would have enough to trigger her allergy but I don't want to risk it.

Yours may have gotten dried out from being in the fridge in an open container for to long. The fridge is basically a big dehumidifier.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Sounds tasty! I may have to try that. I like to use Gorgonzola for topping steak. I think it has a little more of a buttery flavor than other blue cheeses.

Unfortunately I have been afraid to use it (or any blue cheese) much for cooking recently because the type of mold used to blue the cheese is a type of penicillin and my fiancé is deathly allergic to penicillin. I'm not sure if it would have enough to trigger her allergy but I don't want to risk it.

Yours may have gotten dried out from being in the fridge in an open container for to long. The fridge is basically a big dehumidifier.

It's funny you mention the Gorgonzola, that's the other cheese choice I use on the little steaks. My son actually prefers it to the blue cheese. I like the blue cheese because it is a bolder type of flavor.

Another way I like to use blue cheese or Gorgonzola is in berry salad. I use the spring mix lettuce, I add blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and or any other pretty berries and walnuts. I top lightly with a raspberry vinaigrette dressing and blue cheese or Gorgonzola crumbles. It's a neat flavor combination.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Yep, mushy means bad no doubt. At the restaurant I work at part time they make their Blu cheese dressing in house from scratch. But we use crumbled blue cheese not wheels. I know it is the highest quality that the distributor offers but I have no idea the country of origin. I just know it stinks to high heaven and when it starts to go bad it smells even worse. Of course I hardly ever smell bad blue cheese because they go through it so fast it never has a chance to spoil. No kidding we have gone through 5 gallons of homemade blue cheese dressing in one weekend before.

You should post the recipe to the home made blue cheese dressing. :)

Top Bottom