Trip to Chicago, what to do without a firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Sorry if I missed this, but what if you do carry, and are attacked, and you do use your gun? Are you then instantly the bad guy?

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    Search! You options on defending yourself in Illinois has been covered plenty of times on here!

That being said melensdad is one person you should pm about this he has a lot of information pertaing to cook county.

Also why does everyone on here believe Chicago is some kind of death trap? I understand that they infringe on our rights to carry weapons, but we should not all rely on weapons. Chicago is not bad if you know where to stay. The whole south side and west side are not bad. You just need to know what neighborhoods to stay out of. As far as defending yourself I recommend carrying a blade under 2.5" and you should train yourself in some hand combat skills.

For those of you that refuse to visit Chicago are simply missing out on a great city full of great new expirences.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My son and I go to Chicago about once a year via the South Shore rail line that starts in South Bend. We haven't had any trouble, but we generally stay within walking distance of the South Shore stops. We'll hit up a museum, get something to eat and ride the train back. Chicago has some interesting attractions that this (ST Joseph) county just don't have.

Now when I was younger and much more stupid, I might have 'accidentally' carried my 92FS in shoulder holster when I drove a young lady to the downtown train station on New Years Eve.:D

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Search! You options on defending yourself in Illinois has been covered plenty of times on here!

That being said melensdad is one person you should pm about this he has a lot of information pertaing to cook county.

Also why does everyone on here believe Chicago is some kind of death trap? I understand that they infringe on our rights to carry weapons, but we should not all rely on weapons. Chicago is not bad if you know where to stay. The whole south side and west side are not bad. You just need to know what neighborhoods to stay out of. As far as defending yourself I recommend carrying a blade under 2.5" and you should train yourself in some hand combat skills.

For those of you that refuse to visit Chicago are simply missing out on a great city full of great new expirences.

I've only had one serious issue there and it was handled by the off duty LEO I was with. Like I said earlier, I go there often for my wife's family and friends events. I have a rule though, she pays. I refuse to spend good money there when it will go to furthering the nanny state. The idea that the taxes I pay will go towards a well known 2A oppressive state government doesn't sit right with me.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I carry EVERY DAY....BUT if I can not carry somewhere it's not the end of my life. Yes I feel naked, but you need to not have that attitude of "if you don't have a gun your helpless". As stated before, get hand to hand basic training, it goes a long way...most fights start within 3 feet...that's more hand to hand fighting than gun fighting anyway. These go a long way and can be just as or more effective than a gun if trained or used properly
    03521b74f17236611f484b1912fe60db.jpg

#1 thing is be aware of your surroundings!

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Look, when you hit the city limits bad guys aren't gonna start taking pot-shots at you from every corner. I work for a class I railroad and used to work in some of the worst neighborhoods at night. In almost ten years of working nights in those neighborhoods I only had one incident and one "almost incident". The first one was I was stopped at a stop light at oh-dark-hundred and a guy walked out of the doorway and tried to open the toolbox doors on the truck (they were locked), I drove away and that was that. The "almost" incident was when I was training a new guy and we were getting lunch, again at oh-dark-hundred, and a young drunk male walked into the place, pulled out a HUGE bankroll and started demanding a pork chop sammitch without the bone. He continued a profanity laced tirade about "no bone." My trainee started to laugh, and I told him (the trainee) to shut the f up before he gets us shot. We left as the yound, drunk guy was giving us the evil eye.
    In other words, if you aren't fooling around and throwing attitude you'll be fine almost anywhere in the city, especially during they day.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Chicago is the dirty diapper of USA.do not go there.send a post card or a email maybe a phone call but for all that is holy do not go there
    East Chicago is so much better right?
    I would say that it is better so far as you are legally afforded a fair chance.
    I own a medical center in East Chicago and I hate going up there to deal with the building, do inspections, etc. I may be legally able to carry a gun in East Chicago but basically the WHOLE CITY OF EAST CHICAGO, INDIANA is a mess and you must be on your alert in every part of the city. In Chicago, IL there are bad spots and good spots. The good spots outnumber the bad spots about 10 to 1 and while it pays to be alert to petty thieves everywhere, I'm far more concerned about violence in East Chicago, IN than in Chicago, IL.

Anyone want to buy a 2 story medical center in East Chicago? Elevator, private fenced in parking, security alarm system, video security, nice landscaping, new boiler, newer AC units, newer roof, bright 2 story lobby with open staircase, plants, etc

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    I own a medical center in East Chicago and I hate going up there to deal with the building, do inspections, etc. I may be legally able to carry a gun in East Chicago but basically the WHOLE CITY OF EAST CHICAGO, INDIANA is a mess and you must be on your alert in every part of the city. In Chicago, IL there are bad spots and good spots. The good spots outnumber the bad spots about 10 to 1 and while it pays to be alert to petty thieves everywhere, I'm far more concerned about violence in East Chicago, IN than in Chicago, IL.

Anyone want to buy a 2 story medical center in East Chicago? Elevator, private fenced in parking, security alarm system, video security, nice landscaping, new boiler, newer AC units, newer roof, bright 2 story lobby with open staircase, plants, etc

Couldn't have put it any better!

.38 Special

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    I visit Chicago probably two/three times a year. Almost always in the city. I've never felt overly threatened in the city, but driving through some of the south side neighborhoods to get there is a little sketchy at times. So I try to avoid Chicago at all times if not possible. I don't particularly feel safe anywhere without being able to carry my gun, but when I can't carry my gun, I have some pepper spray

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    It wouldn't suprice me if IL tries to pass a law stating you can not carry a firearm up to 24 hours before entering the state or even touch a gun the day of you entering IL lol

Top Bottom