Trip to Chicago, what to do without a firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    You will be a lot more safe if you concentrate on where you will be and when than worring about what weapon to carry. I am in the city every day for work and lived there for close to 50 years, if you post some more info about your locations and plans I could give better advice.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    Stay north and you'll be fine. My girlfriend's parents live in the NW suburbs (Park Ridge) and it's always really quiet there. I'll be there this weekend, as a matter of fact.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Stay north and you'll be fine. My girlfriend's parents live in the NW suburbs (Park Ridge) and it's always really quiet there. I'll be there this weekend, as a matter of fact.

Hegewish and the East Side are both safe and both very far south. Chinatown is safe, its south. Hyde Park is safe, its south.

There are a lot of safe areas in the city, far more safe than unsafe. Every big city has issues, but personal safety in the city of Chicago is not all that much of a problem and its far less of a problem than most INGO members seem to understand.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Every time I go to Chicago to visit family, I keep my gun in the trunk of the car, ammo separate. Legally, I am not a resident and visiting, so I don't need any card or permission. Of course I can't take the gun out or anything, but it's only for SHTF situations

Interstate transport is only good if you don't stop... You will be okay as long as they don't look there but if they wanted to they would get you for having an unregistered handgun

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I went to Chicago this past spring with my fiance to visit family. They live downtown and know where to go and were to stay away from. We were out even late into the night and we never felt any less safe (infact maybe even safer than) being downtown Indy after dark.

Go with people who know the city. Thats the best advise I can give.

I did have my Spyderco Civilian in my pocket the whole time though. Infact that trip was the reason I bought it. It is honestly larger than thier knife laws allow but I wasnt about to go up there empty handed.

You might check this out. The Lil' Matriarch. A mini version of the Matrirch which is a mini version of the Civilian.
    http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=765

Last edited:

7.62asprin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    My thoughts on the matter.

1330738577274.jpg

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    so even non residents can not have an unloaded locked handgun in chicago like the rest of the state?

Correct. Handguns are illegal in Cook County(some other counties surrounding have restrictions also) without a permit. And its a permit to have in the county. There is no such thing as a CCW or LTCH in Illinois.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Correct. Handguns are illegal in Cook County(some other counties surrounding have restrictions also) without a permit. And its a permit to have in the county. There is no such thing as a CCW or LTCH in Illinois.

Handguns are legal in Cook County. Gun owners need a FOID card to own any gun in Illinois, including Cook County. There is no special "Cook County Permit" to own a handgun.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Hegewish and the East Side are both safe and both very far south. Chinatown is safe, its south. Hyde Park is safe, its south.

There are a lot of safe areas in the city, far more safe than unsafe. Every big city has issues, but personal safety in the city of Chicago is not all that much of a problem and its far less of a problem than most INGO members seem to understand.

Just in case someone missed this... :yesway:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Handguns are legal in Cook County. Gun owners need a FOID card to own any gun in Illinois, including Cook County. There is no special "Cook County Permit" to own a handgun.
    I stand corrected....kinda....If your handgun holds more than 10 rounds it is illegal(considered an assault weapon). Assault weapons are illegal in cook county. They call the sks, ar15, etc. assault weapons.

And a FOID will not get you "any gun" Machine guns are illegal in Illinois unless you are military, LEO, class 3 FFL or Class 3 ammunition manufacturer licensed by the BATFE.

Handgun must be in a case, unloaded. A full mag(s) can be in the case with the gun...just not in the gun. Hey, you could always throw the case at a bad guy and hope to knock him out.

Luke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    next best thing

Here is my recommendation.

picture.php
    while if you cant find one of those bad boys to rent out on the way there then i recomend a knife at the very least. something big enough to do damage but small enough to no be seen as a theat and can be concealed. knifes are almost the same as guns in a way, wave it around like a mad man and you will be fine :rockwoot::xmad: haha just playing on the waving it around part :)

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI

so you can take a gun unloaded, locked in case, ammo seperate in another case to cook county?

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The case doesn't have to be locked. I have heard cops say you can have a loaded mag in the gun, just not chambered

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Wife's from there and we head up there regularly. I go by the "Tried by 12 or carried by 6" method. I choose the former.

Deep conceal.

Top Bottom